BG2: What am I doing wrong?

As a note, I am playing on Hardcore rules. I've been doing that since NWN OC, and they've served me well.
They're not serving you well here, so stop it.

One of the things that NWN does to protect you (or maybe only NWN 2) is that it gives you max HP each level. BG 2 does not do that by default -- it's possible to have a 12th level fighter with anemic hit points, just by the (un)luck of the roll. However, the config has an option to give you max HP. You need to do this. You may have some sense that you "shouldn't" because you play hardcore, but you are unhappy with the game, and there is a "make player happy" button sitting right there for you.

Also, have you gone into the pause options and set it to at least pause on enemy sighted and on near-death? Because I've been sniped at attacked on MANY occasions by enemies that were NOT hiding! The game had simply placed them behind buildings or their outfits were the same color as the background or whatever. The characters could see the enemy just fine, but I couldn't. Having the game pause was very important so I could assess the threat.

Likewise, having the game pause when a character hits 30% of hit points was also very important because that's when you run. These battles are not guaranteed wins. You have to be cautious in Baldur's Gate. You cannot be the arena champion at level 1, you cannot defeat dragons as a matter of course, and you should be really scared of vampires.

For me, nowadays I have a very easy time of BG 1 & 2. But I never learned about the counterspells, rarely use contingency spells or spell sequencers, and never use area of effect spells that might hurt my team also (fireball, web, cloudkill). So how do I have an easy time of it? My party never goes anywhere as a group. I always have a thief or summoned monster scouting ahead. I've used wizard eyes too, like them less, though. Having one or two expendables scouting ahead is VERY useful, because not only do you see what's coming up with little risk, but you typically force the enemy spellcasters to blow off a big spell or two while the rest of the party is tucked away at the entrance, waiting for news. If the spellcaster seems scary enough, I will have the party NOT advance, and throw some more summons or even lay down some traps. While I do that, the spellcaster's protections & buffs are timing out. The group only moves in when we've tested the waters and believe that we can survive.

As a parting example, consider the umber hulks you mentioned. That's not the last umber hulk ambush you will experience, by the way, so you need a strategy for entering rooms and falling back. In my case, even before I knew the umber hulks were there (before I had solved the Nalia quest), I had a strategy of leaving most characters at the entrance to the level, while a fire elemental or a summoned orc would move forward with Minsc opening the doors for them. If they got into a fight, Minsc would stay back and see how fast they died. If they were stunned or frozen and dead in a couple of hits, Minsc closes the door and runs. If my summoned critters seem to be putting up a fight, Minsc would join while the archers and/or spellcasters stay waaaaay the hell back and lend support from a safe distance. If things turn ugly, Minsc pulls back and the archers snipe the bad guys while Minsc is running. Repeat the process at the next door. In this way, you can survive just about anything, and you don't have to re-load the game 100 times until you figure out the "right" way to win the battle.

Play like your characters value their lives. Or make the dog stew. :)

Couldn't agree more aboyd! But you know what? I have sneeky suspicion that PJ is (consciously or not) doing all he can to prove to himself once again that BG2 is crap :p

Weren't hardcore rules for BG2 different than for NWN and the other newer games? The newer games had those wussy "fireballs dont hurt me" rules on by default while the BG2 rules were the true-normal-core rules by default?

IIRC, for NWN and the newer games you needed to choose "hardcore" rules to not have a ridiculously easy game with nothing to worry about.

But with BG2 the default ones were fine. If you chose hardcore for BG2 the enemies became tougher or something.

I never had any D&D experience when I played BG2 and had trouble only with the evil dwarf graveyard quest you described. But once I got my characters leveled up somewhat, that was easy too.

EDIT: Yep. I verified.

BG2 has the "core" rules on by default. Which is "AD&D by the rules".
If you choose "hard" it means "monsters do 50% more damage"

That's not, good. Seriously. Don't do hard. It's different for NWN and all those other newer (and lesser :D ) games. For them choosing Hardcore basically means the same as the default "core rules" for BG2. No wonder you're having trouble.

Last edited:
Whaaa...? OK, then -- now *that* explains a lot. Thanks again, guys -- I'll turn it down to "Normal" and see how it feels; it looks like I have been punishing myself totally unnecessarily. (By the way, I did end up dealing with the umber hulk ambush the way aboyd describes it above.)

What do you mean by "Hardcore rules"? I'm aware of the HCR rules mods for NWN but not for BG2.

Edit: you mean you have the difficulty turned up to full?

Yeah, he is playing on hardest difficult.

@PJ: Try to avoid those tough battles for now. Your party is simply not up for those challenges yet. Go do more simple quest for now. Most of missions in Athkatla is easy enough... but try to avoid liches in random hiding areas.

A'ight, I turned down the difficulty to "Normal," and sure enough things got more manageable. I actually managed to complete a quest (the Unseeing Eye one).

I'll do some more Athkatla quests next and see how they go. At least I gained a level that lets me summon some cannon fodder, which ought to help for scouting and stuff.

Do the umar hills quest. IIRC you get it while wandering around Athkatla and a child comes to you asking for help or something.. Or maybe it was from the copper coronet... In any case, it's suitable for low level characters and it's great fun.
Also, it provides many usefull items.

Do the umar hills quest. IIRC you get it while wandering around Athkatla and a child comes to you asking for help or something.. Or maybe it was from the copper coronet...
The Umar Hills child is in the middle of the government district.

What do you mean by "Hardcore rules"? I'm aware of the HCR rules mods for NWN but not for BG2.

Edit: you mean you have the difficulty turned up to full?
The way I remember it (don't have BG1/2 installed, but this thread is making me itch for another run), hardcore is the middle difficulty level, aka AD&D by the rules. It means that monsters do full damage, there's a chance of failing to scribe scrolls to spellbook and such. If you turn it down to "normal" monsters do 25% less damage and there's no chance of failing to scribe scrolls.

However, unlike NWN, there's no way to turn off party-AoE-damage, except by actually editing the game's spell files.

Last edited:
The way I remember it (don't have BG1/2 installed, but this thread is making me itch for another run), hardcore is the middle difficulty level, aka AD&D by the rules. It means that monsters do full damage, there's a chance of failing to scribe scrolls to spellbook and such. If you turn it down to "normal" monsters do 25% less damage and there's no chance of failing to scribe scrolls.

However, unlike NWN, there's no way to turn off party-AoE-damage, except by actually editing the game's spell files.

Yeah we cleared that up already, see couple of posts above.

Ack--no wonder you were having trouble! Since I am way too much of a dnd wuss to ever play hardcore, it didn't even occur to me. Also, I found the pre-rolled NPCs to be weak compared to those you can, if patient and anal enough, roll up yourself. I certainly would have re-rolled Anomen, f'rinstance, to have better than 18/52 strength, and what is Aerie doing with 14 charisma?--but then, as I say, I'm pretty wussy. :)

Half the fun in BG2 comes from the NPCs so I really would not
recommend rolling your own characters.

And the game has been designed and scaled to be played with
the joinable npc's anyway.

Whatever you do, do NOT - I repeat - DO NOT romance Aerie. Her whining will be intolerable and present at all times. And she won't be sharing her sleeping bag with you too often, either.

My first time through, I played a female character (I had played BG1 3 times and the last time was with a female lead, so I imported her). IIRC there aren't too many romance options for females and I guess I blew them off, or didn't have those characters in my party because I don't remember romance at all!

The second time through, I went my traditional male paladin route, and hooked up with Aerie (or may I should say didn't hook up with her!). I played the goodie-two-shoes role well though, so I ended up with her. I will say that the ending with her was very well done.

But if you are not using the unofficial fixpak the quest will be broken with a very high propability anyway.

Hmm, I didn't have any problem with it. I never used the unofficial fixpak and completed it. Playing through again though. Where can I get the fixpak?

PJ

Here's a hint I got from former co-worker of mine when I first played BG1 ten years ago: Magic Missile and Chromatic Orb are great spells for interrupting spellcasters.
The thing is also that if you interrupt a spellcaster's spell then that spell is waisted.
(this also is true the other way around) If you get level drained, then be sure to have some the spell 'lesser restoration' with you. I think they can be bought in that round thingie where you also buy so much else. (sorry - can't remeber right now what the name of the story is). Other good low level spells are Larloch's Minor Drain, Agornazzar's Scorcher, Web, Stinking Cloud, Ray of Enfeeblement, and Melf's Acid Arrow. (works wonders against trolls and other monsters). Be sure to read the little vignettes on the loading screens; sometimes you do get valuable information. Be also sure to check your manaul (the book that game with the game) to learn more about the spells and such.

For Umber Hulks, I did what DeepO suggested - or use a potion or two or mirroring eyes. For a very large group of monsters, I just send one or two people ahead to scout, then slowly draw the monsters back to me at a time. Also, if you feel you're overpowered, run for it! The game will not punish you for it. And sweet is the revenge when you come back to wipe the monsters when you're level 5-6 you couldn't wipe out when you're only level 1-2. Also the evil Dwarf's Quest. I'm not sure, but you could probably have waited with doing this quest almost forever, the book etc. would still have been there. This is a Bioware game afterall, so there are few timed quests.

Please also make sure that you either have thief hide in shadows or drink an invisibility potion or have mage cast invisibility on your thief. This should give you a small edge when dealer with much stronger enemies. A thief backstab is a very good to remember. Just make sure that the thief has haste potion in bale that he can make a quit getaway - if the backstab failed. Also look for the good loot for the thief, since I know you get a decent hide and a ring that makes you go - well- shall we - you're not seen that much.

Be also sure to have Jaheira in your party. I knoe she's a been in the be----- in the first part of the game, but later, if you have romance with your, you get a very interesting and cleverly written quest. Jaheira is also a druid which means that later in the game she can summon aerial servant and different elementals and turn into bears and stuff, too. Very handy.

For a low level party, she casts a mean entangle spell, so if you just have your mage(s) throw grease & sleep spells all over the harder enemies, you should be fine or at least do better than you are doing now.

Also, if you feeæ like kicking someone out and go do another NPC's quest, please do so. The kicked out NPCs head for the Copper Coronet - if you tell them to do so.
They will wait for you. Doing different quests for varius NPcs are also a sure way to gain experience points.

I have. even as seasoned BG2 player, been forced to run from a fight. There really is no shame in this, especially around enemy casters. The trick is here to get them to use up all their spells...and hit them hard. Or just have a tank or two pounding hard at them with their non-magic weapons while everyone else using bows and sling to pound weapons into them.

I usuallu set the the game to pause also on 'weapons not doing any damage' or os that only a feedback line? Anywho, please make sure you do this, because when you do this, if your weapons are not doing any damage at all, RUN...

And try avoiding houses with slime, green or otherwise. These are very nasty critters that even if they may be low level citters really can do lot of damage...

Also, I don't think there is no shame in looking up a walkthrough or an FAQ to show you things are supposed to work. You can just choose not to read it. I think UHS (universal hints service) maybe are what you need. This form of wlakthough only gives you hints as where to go next and what to do. This way you can still decide where you want to go & do in BG2.

Here's the link:

http://www.uhs-hints.com/
(be aware, though, that in order to get the hints for the later chapters for the game, UHS will ask to shell out 20 US dollars or so, but in my experience it worth it, since you get a license that covers the next three years).

Last edited:
Well, I'm on my way now. Turning down the difficulty a notch helped a lot; I've gotten the slaver quest done, put a ghost to rest, rescued Viconia (and inducted her into the party, kicked out that annoying prat Anomen), and did other similar odds and ends. I'll try Umar Hills next (thanks Zakhary). I've also managed to purchase some pretty beefy robes for my kensai/wizard, and have leveled up enough to have some defensive magic as well, so I'm not completely screwed when facing spellcasters and such. That tiefling bard is pretty badass, what with his harp of confusion and all, too. I'm actually starting to have fun here.

Compared to this, though, Dwarf Fortress's learning curve was cake.

PJ

Glad you're having fun now :) I hope you have as much as I had when I played this game :)

blatant ninja:

I think you can either go to sorcerers.net to get a link to the BG2 fixpack or go directly to the gibberlingsthree website to get the fixpack (and other good stuff - such as BG Tutu...)

Well, I'm on my way now. Turning down the difficulty a notch helped a lot; I've gotten the slaver quest done, put a ghost to rest, rescued Viconia (and inducted her into the party, kicked out that annoying prat Anomen), and did other similar odds and ends. I'll try Umar Hills next (thanks Zakhary). I've also managed to purchase some pretty beefy robes for my kensai/wizard, and have leveled up enough to have some defensive magic as well, so I'm not completely screwed when facing spellcasters and such. That tiefling bard is pretty badass, what with his harp of confusion and all, too. I'm actually starting to have fun here.

Yeah, I knew you would :D

Happy to be of at least some kind of help, DF Sensei :D

BTW, You've got Throne of Bhaal, yes?

The Baldurdash fixpack is old, G3's fixpack is recommended.

Yeah, I heard about that. Can't say anything about it, let alone recommend it, cause I did not try that. Baldurdash worked 100% great for me and I noticed no bugs whatsoever either in SoA or ToB so I figured I'd recommend that.
But those G3 things have a bad habit for modding things... I chose not to use the G3 IWD fix pack for that reason. Baldurdash does not do any mod, it only fixes.
I don't do mods.

Back
Top Bottom