DA:Inquisition - Game of the Year Nominee

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Despite the flaws, originating mostly as a result of the scrapped MMO plan, I believe DA:I is one of the most entertaining games I've played in some time. It's certainly the largest. Just when I think I'm getting near the end I open up a whole new zone that's absolutely huge. And the zones are just gorgeous.

I was reading how many folks think some of the larger areas are too sparsely populated, but I love that aspect of 'vastness' like The Hissing Wastes. If you prefer exploration over combat in RPGs, Inquisition is your cup of tea. I have to think the new Mass Effect will be similar, as it would be perfect setup for planetary exploration— minus the ridiculous combat and collection-based quest system.

The combat in DA:I does suck jackwagon though, and it reminds me of why I quit Star Wars: The Old Republic. In its desperate attempt to be jazz hands every time you swing a sword or a staff, it actually makes combat more tedious as you get through fights so quickly they become meaningless and confusing. What the hell just happened? Did I kill the guy, or was it the elf with the bow, or was it the Exploding Ice Barrier of the 3 Ninjas from the mage? I can't tell because of all the sparkly glittery special effects that overwhelm the screen. Does that Belt of Uselessness really do anything? How could I kill him here, but his loot is now way over there in a tree? Why are ghosts carrying statues of dwarves in their pockets? Why do they even have pockets? Anyway…

For many, the combat and quest/loot system is a deal breaker. For me, it's a minor complaint in an otherwise stellar game that makes me make time to come back and play it— even after dozens and dozens of hours already spent. I've learned from reading user reviews that, when it comes to BioWare games especially, you're never ever going to make everyone happy. The ones who aren't happy often scream the loudest.

I would rather have about a third as many fights, but make them last longer with realistic motions (and for Gods sake, speed) with physics that make sense. As it stands, all the wonderful detail of the world around you seems awkwardly out of place during combat that turns into an LSD-induced brawl of sparkly toons with health bars.

The characters/companions are BioWare-level quality as you would expect, but not quite to the level seen in Mass Effect (my high bar). Unlike previous DA games, I often find myself rotating the companions I use instead of just sticking with 3 I've identified as my favorite. That's generally a testament to my interest in their story and personality moreso than their combat roles, which have been dumbed down even further in the Dragon Age universe.

Why even have classes at this point? Here, the decision pretty much boils down to whether you want your PC to have heavy armor vs dual wield vs magic. The whole concept of character micro-customization of skills/abilities/etc seen in AD&D systems is long gone. It seems odd that I can spend 3 hours choosing what kind of eyelashes my PC has in character creation, or where to place a mole on the face, but I have very little say in what skills or abilities they have outside of the 'fighter, thief, mage' limitations which then forces me to follow a step-by-step path of skills, many of which are useless. I may be in the minority on this, but it's the most unfortunate trend in modern RPGs. Gosh I miss the AD&D system… It isn't perfect, but the freedom is there to make practically anyone you want, for better or worse.

Anyway, I'm sure there are as many counter arguments to my thoughts here, but I'm enjoying the game and think BioWare has done far more good than bad this time. It doesn't surprise me at all that it's winning GOTY awards, as it would get my vote as well. Sorry Divinity, you were a nice girl, but you just didn't do it for me like DA:I.

In a year that gave us Might & Magic X, Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Legend of Grimrock 2 etc — even suggesting soulless and broken old DA:I is a complete joke. Look forward to it scooping the prize in a shower of Doritos nonetheless.

I'll just say that the nomination is deserved, DA3 is highly above average game.

But is it the best game of this year? A product games industry in 2014 should be proud of?
It is not. It's a bloody 2000 episodes of Santa Barbara TV series, brainwashing filler. Until Emmies start going to soaps, any award given to grind ridden games is either a joke or an insult. Perhaps even both.

I'll just say that the nomination is deserved, DA3 is highly above average game.

I'm going to pretend that's all you said in the spirit of positive thinking. I'll be playing DAI after Christmas, so I can't speak to it directly. But compared to those other GOTY nominees, DAI is what I want to win: it is ambitious even if flawed.

Yea, I didn't see other nominees. Not that I care much... I mean, it's IGN. LOL

I was surprised at their list of nominees, there are many games that released this year that I found superior to what was on their list such as Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin, probably the 2 games I have sunk the most hours into this year. Granted, I don't have a Wii U and a couple of the titles, Super Smash and Bayonetta 2, were exclusive to that platform, as well as Sunset Overdrive being an XBOne only title.

PC Gamer has given DA:I their Best Singleplayer award. Divinity: Original Sin got the "Spirit of the PC" award. Make of that what you will. :)

Peh.

Not on D:OS award, it's well deserved.
They should rename DA3 award into "spirit of consoles".

PC game of the year should exclude multi-platform titles. Console games have there own award category.
It would only include a few Indie games, and a bunch of kickstarter games then. The majority of new RPG's games are all multi-platform, and that includes the Witcher 3.

They should have excluded consolegames badly ported on PC.
That way, all games except DA3 would be nominated. Or maybe not... Dunno. Can't remember if DA3 and Fable Whatever were only games with the worst mouse/keyboard support possible.

Yes I also hate the mouse/keyboard support in Dragon Age: Inquisition. It seems they spent more time on the controller side, and M+B was just an after thought added later.

Back
Top Bottom