Lords of Shu...Xulima!

The problem is that bloody strike also really racks up the damage over time, never wears off, and is much cheaper in power points to use, and much cheaper in skill points to train. It also punches through elemental resistances and seems to work much more reliably. Flaming strike was so expensive to use and rarely had it's full effect, so even against undead it never mattered all that much. It was great against veggies, but they aren't all that common.

I never used any traditional spells with my arcane soldier. I just couldn't see investing so many skill points to use an attack spell which was already obsolete by the level you got it.

I was more impressed with the paladin, which is the cleric version of the arcane soldier. The paladin defense aura can be really effective if you set your party up to take advantage of it.

I believe Flamestrike is balanced that way because at higher levels it can really rack up the Burning damage over time, so against Vegetal enemies or other enemies that are susceptible to Burning, it can be quite effective.

Frost Strike is really good for us. It is one of the most effective attacks we have. While it doesn't do a ton of raw damage, the Freeze status effect is priceless when an enemy is able to be frozen! Stay tuned for future episodes that showcase this much more. :)

The Bloody Strike is interesting, too, but I'll talk more about this in future posts when my Let's Play reaches that level. I would say it's worth a peek, for sure. :)

Soldier seems fine as well. However, they can't do quite the amount of things an AS can do, as they sacrifice a lot of versatility for potential melee damage. The AS has the elemental attacks and magic usage as well, but the Soldier does have access to the same status-ailment melee attacks, which is nice. While it is more expensive to train spells for an AS than it is for a Wizard, having another party member that can cast spells is a very nice thing to have. If you want maximum versatility, have extra gold to spend on training and give her the skill point herbs, it can be very nice, indeed. :)

I think there is an interesting mechanic (which might be not be intentional) of balancing casting cost vs. damage and effectiveness. In other words, if you aren't leveling up your Power Points at the rate that you are leveling up your skills, you might hit a bad balance in which you can't cast the attack as often as you'd like. It's worth mentioning as it does make quite a huge difference for the Divine Summoner, for example, as often it is quite literally the difference between being able to "refresh" a summon once more before having to drink a potion.

Flamestrike is good in the beginning, and if you supplement the Burning damage with other party members' attacks it can lead to an effective damage-over-time when Bleed is not an option. I think Powerful Strike with a weapon that already has a high Bleed damage, like a katana, could be a great combination. :) Also, while AS spells are costly to level up, having another party member who can cast Lightning, Icy Touch, etc., or attack a character in the back row with magic would be valuable and add more versatility to your party.

I'd suggest tuning in to the occasional video in this series as you might be impressed with the AS after awhile. No spoilers, though, so you'll all have to watch and see! :)

Episode 21. In this one I solve the slightly tricky rock carving puzzle, explore an entirely new map north of Sorrentia and enter a living forest!

Episode 22. In this one we enter the majestic Living Forest of Odendros where living trees attack unwitting travelers. So, we kill 'em. :p

Enjoy! :)

Episode 23 is up. Random odds-and-ends fightin', some exploration and an excursion back to previous area that was once really dangerous and tricky to get some sweet revenge on some Shroom Heads! :p Good stuff.

Hope you enjoy. :)

Episode 24 is perfect for the winter season! I explore Karraga, home to the abominable snow ogres known as Yotums. It's pretty grim up north and fighting Yotums is a buncha fun, so heat up a warm cup of something and join me! :)

Yo! It's been a bit but I'm going to be uploading new episodes of this LP regularly again. Here is Episode 26. Many more to come!

Also, a very special and *hopefully* interesting B-side is coming to my channel soon. Stay tuned, I think fans of turn-based RPGs may find it interesting. :)

Episode 27 is up. We explore a mausoleum early in this one. Noticed that every dungeon type in the game has its own "theme", and then each dungeon within that theme has its own "quirks". Mausoleums are small dungeons with a boss but also some weird tricks or traps to navigate. Towers have a tower boss and are a bit more involved, usually with more complex puzzle elements. Castles generally have a few traps or tricks and the end boss is usually tough, and you have to avoid certain paths when exploring. Cool stuff. :)

Edit - Forgot about the Witch's houses "dungeon" types. These feature a boss battle as well and a few more traps and a single tough encounter.

Last edited:
Ep 28 features some castle exploration up north and more. Check it out. :)

Still going like the Energizer bunny! Ep 29 is pretty dope. We explore Khorinil's castle, have a chat with the prince himself and more. I noticed while re-watching this episode that the lore in the game is really dope. The chat with Khorinil is well-done. I think that may be a bit of an overlooked aspect of this game; the continent of Xulima and the lore of the game world is really great. I'm a big fan of RPGs that have multiple Gods. :)

Ep 29.

Hope y'all enjoy! :)

Forgot about this thread, too. :)

Episode 30 is live and also features a giveaway for the game again. One copy to giveaway and the first 10 who enter on my Steam group are entered to win. Enjoy and good luck if you enter!

Just wanted to say that I'm giving away my last copy of Lords of Xulima on my Steam group. Also have a Wasteland 2: Director's Cut giveaway going on as well, so feel free to jump in both if you'd like.

Still enjoying these:thumbsup:

If you haven't played it, why not???

Ep 33 is up, and it's actually a doozy. We finish up Khorinil's Castle and then head right for the nearest Temple which also turns out to be a great place to explore. Huge episode heeyah!

Back
Top Bottom