Final Fantasy VI - Retrospective Review

Ah I have fond memories of this game. Was one of the best Nintendo RPGs of its time. Correction I believe it was the Super Nintendo game console back in the early 90's.:thinking:

A very nice game, as with most final fantasies the combat is mostly annoying, but the story is one of the best of all the final fantasy games, the atmosphere is also very good.

But what truly stands out is the music, I still whistle those tunes very often, they are truly fantastic.

I tried to play it but the pixels killed me off. Trying to find my way around in a dungeon with sprites...ugh. I did more than enough of that in the 80's and early 90's. Wake me when Square remakes it.

I tried to play it but the pixels killed me off..
It's literally a game from the early 90's what do to expect?

Most JRPGs were 16-32 bit pixels at that point.
Wake me when Square remakes it.
Should we expect THREE games once again then?:lol:

Last edited:
I haven't been into JRPGs for a long time now, but I really enjoyed FF VI back in the day. It's one of my favorite games from Squaresoft along with FF IV and Chrono Trigger.

Wake me when Square remakes it.

Their remakes have been mediocre with maybe the exception of the FF 7 remake. You'd probably be better off playing the original.

Locke, Terra, Kefka… when Final Fantasy had proper protagonists and antagonists. The Celes' Opera scene still brings me tears to remember. I don't know how much of it is me remembering as better than it was, but Final Fantasy VII has nothing on this game, yet it is VII that got the popularity, likely due to the Playstation piracy boom and easy public access/exposure.

I've been pretty vocal about this one on the Watch (and the series in general), being my #1 favorite game. This game grew in public perception over the last 10 years as FFVII's popularity began to die off before the remake, and it's common to see FFVI in the top spot for a lot of people - for good reason.

Highly recommended if you haven't played it yet, and there are numerous ways to do so, too.

I haven't been into JRPGs for a long time now, but I really enjoyed FF VI back in the day. It's one of my favorite games from Squaresoft along with FF IV and Chrono Trigger.

I think these are excellent choices as well, and they've all been sort of immortalized. They're superb, but I'm also incredibly biased.

Oh, this game was so good! It set such a high standard for me that no subsequent Final Fantasy game has been able to meet. I loved it so much that Final Fantasy 7 turned out to be a huge disappointment to me by contrast. Obviously, this is all my opinion and may be reflected by no one else in the world, but as a comparison between 6 and 7...

1) The characters in 6 were so much more fun to play. Each was completely unique, with different skills and abilities. Edgar could use tools. Sabin could blitz. Mog could dance. Gogo could copy everybody! In 7, I felt like virtually all the characters were interchangeable in combat (with the exception of Aeris being more specialized in magic than the rest). Abilities/magic were driven mostly by materia, which you could swap around and equip on anybody as needed, making everybody essentially the same.

2) The story in 7 was a confusing mess to follow. Some blame it on a poor translation, and perhaps that's what it was. But after my first playthrough, I recall not really understanding Cloud's past or his relation to Sephiroth; the flashbacks were janky and weird. It's been so long since then that I can't recall specifics on exactly what I had trouble with, but I know years later I ended up reading an online summary. Only then did I actually understand the nuances of the story correctly. By comparison, the story in 6 was straightforward, in a good way.

3) Minor gripe: I was disappointed that 7 only let you control three characters in combat rather than the four characters in 6. I felt like that was a step backwards. But going back to my point #1, it didn't matter as much because all the characters played the same anyway.

4) In a Final Fantasy game, I prefer a fantasy setting. FF6 gave me that, as had every Final Fantasy game I had played before that. Sure, there were steampunk elements to 6, but it mostly felt like a fantasy game setting. FF7 ramped up the tech elements and updated the setting to something more modern, something that usually felt more sci-fi to me than fantasy. As a result, I was just less interested in the game world overall. Don't get me wrong, I love science fiction, but it's just not what I want in a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy 8 was even worse in that respect, but that's a discussion for another day.

In a way I pity FF7. Basically, FF6 ruined it for me. And that shouldn't be its fault.

Back
Top Bottom