Dragon's Dogma - Sequel Could Still Happen

Really enjoyed the original on my first play through, but found it quite shallow on return.

Still a good game, it just felt very flat second time round. Hope that a sequel does happen, and that add a bit more depth and genuine role playing to it.

Any more info there, Falksi? Brumbek is too high on sugar these days, to be considered a reliable source. :p
From what I've seen one thing this game really excells at, is character progression...leagues and leagues better than anything in BW/Beth/CDPR games.
World, quests, atmosphere, characters, music...however seem unimpressive. Does it have any choice and consequence, skill checks etc?
It seems a bit closer to rpg version of Monster hunter and everything revolving around combat.

Any more info there, Falksi? Brumbek is too high on sugar these days, to be considered a reliable source. :p

From what I've seen one thing this game really excells at, is character progression...leagues and leagues better than anything in BW/Beth/CDPR games.

World, quests, atmosphere, characters, music...however seem unimpressive. Does it have any choice and consequence, skill checks etc?

It seems a bit closer to rpg version of Monster hunter and everything revolving around combat.

Character progression is really good, as is the combat (I LOVED playing as an assassin).

In fact on first play through it was very good, 8.5/10 for me. But it did lack and real choice consequences, there's a lot of soulless & empty filler such as houses with random loot, and the quests aren't particularly interesting until later on (loads of "hunt 10 rabbits" type quests). In fact the best way I can describe it is a better version of KOA:R. More depth and quality, but that soulless looting/repetition feel to it.

I'd definitely give it a go. You don't really notice it too much on your 1st play through as everything is so fresh the combat keeps you ticking. It's just when you return it feels a bit MMO-ish.

Really enjoyed the original on my first play through, but found it quite shallow on return.

Still a good game, it just felt very flat second time round. Hope that a sequel does happen, and that add a bit more depth and genuine role playing to it.

Brumbek is too high on sugar these days

World, quests, atmosphere, characters, music…however seem unimpressive. Does it have any choice and consequence, skill checks etc?

How dare you speak ill of it! I'm a fanboi and I cannot, CANNOT be objective! Oh wait…well actually, that's fine. It doesn't have much role-playing at all. There are no choices and consequences. No skill checks. No dialogue choices. You are mute. It's a linear JRPG story (but the story itself gets really good). So it isn't comparable to say, Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Origins in that regard.

The world is also static, in leveling and content. Nothing you do changes the world except toward the very end. And the open-world is a bit smaller than it first seems.

What you say is fairly accurate Bobo: Dogma is sort of a Monster Hunter game wrapped in a RPG with a proper story, characters, and quests. Many of us like the idea of Monster Hunter but hate how pointless it is. Hence, Dogma is the perfect blend of hunting monsters and meaningful RPG story, IMO.

There Bobo, I tried to be objective for you. Dogma isn't for everyone for sure. If you only like C&C with dialogue options and skill checks, Dogma won't fit that. (New Vegas being the best at that, yeah I said it!)

Hahah. Oh that comment took off. Didn't expect to find responses at the end of the day. Good sport Brumbeck.

Hahah. Oh that comment took off. Didn't expect to find responses at the end of the day. Good sport Brumbeck.

It was super-fun! I want to thank everyone personally for playing along as well. Ripper, Wisdom, Morrandir, JDR13, Aubrielle, and the rest. You're all the best!

Man, I can't wait until you all have a game you love and adore and won't stop talking about. I'll be waiting, watching, ready to pounce!! Heh heh.

Fun times, good stuff, and most importantly Dragon's Dogma is the best game ever, better than even other better games because FANBOI!!! ;)

This is why The Watch appealed so much to me *tipshat*

Oh wait…well actually, that's fine. It doesn't have much role-playing at all. There are no choices and consequences. No skill checks. No dialogue choices. You are mute. It's a linear JRPG story (but the story itself gets really good). So it isn't comparable to say, Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Origins in that regard.

The world is also static, in leveling and content. Nothing you do changes the world except toward the very end. And the open-world is a bit smaller than it first seems.

What you say is fairly accurate Bobo: Dogma is sort of a Monster Hunter game wrapped in a RPG with a proper story, characters, and quests. Many of us like the idea of Monster Hunter but hate how pointless it is. Hence, Dogma is the perfect blend of hunting monsters and meaningful RPG story, IMO.
Damn you Brumbek now I have to cancel my pre-order. :biggrin:

Seriously though I hope it's not another monster hunter clone?:fingerscrossed:

He'll come in all like

tumblr_makinxWmOJ1r0xgqqo1_250.gif

Ha nice GIF!

Damn you Brumbek now I have to cancel my pre-order. :biggrin:

Seriously though I hope it's not another monster hunter clone?:fingerscrossed:

It most definitely is NOT a monster hunter clone. I should be careful with the comparison because the developers clearly did NOT try to emulate Monster Hunter. Rather, they have hit on the fundamental joy of hunting and killing mythical beasts.

I just like to play with your emotions Couchpotato! But remember, TRUST in me as I TRUST in Dragon's Dogma! ;)

All I ask, as I've said for years now, is please give the game a real serious chance. Don't prejudge it. Don't expect it to be a C&C RPG with branching plotlines. Just enjoy it for what it is! You won't be disappointed if you let yourself be taken in by it.

There are no choices and consequences. No skill checks. No dialogue choices. You are mute. It's a linear JRPG story (but the story itself gets really good). So it isn't comparable to say, Witcher 3 or Dragon Age: Origins in that regard.

Not to argue with the resident Dragon's Dogma expert, but…there actually are some choices that the player can make which impacts the outcome of important characters or plot-lines and affect the world. These moments are subtle and kind of creep up on you if I remember correctly, but they certainly do exist.

There is one particular scenario which still stands out in my memory, which was when…

The player can enter into an affair with the young queen. The king, who is revealed to suffer from bouts of madness, storms in while the two of you are alone. You can either hide in the curtains (don't remember the outcome) or reveal yourself and stop the king from attacking his wife.

Both outcomes are kind of dark I believe, but again it's been a while. Still, this is one of the opportunities the player has to make an important choice. These moments aren't abundant, but I though I'd mention that they do exist.

This game sounds way too good to compare it to the likes of KoA.

It's got a similar type of feel/setup in terms of the combat/roleplaying/looting/respawning balance, and thus overall game though.

It's essentially very shallow in some areas (mainly roleplayingones), and relies a lot on the combat, the environments and the enemies.

Even though it's got filler, it's got nowhere near as much filler though. I agree that it's significantly better though.

I wondering what is going to happen after the 15th if the game doesn't live up to the hype of Brumbek and a few others. :plotting:

I already started my pre-load too. :excited:

It's got a similar type of feel/setup in terms of the combat/roleplaying/looting/respawning balance, and thus overall game though.

Even though it's got filler, it's got nowhere near as much filler though. I agree that it's significantly better though.

I very strongly disagree with any KoA comparisons. The two games play totally differently, IMO. Amalur's third-person combat is very...planar...hard to explain but it is more like a Diablo-clone with a third-person camera. Dogma's combat is a very fast-paced visceral combat more akin to Devil may Cry or God of War.

Out of curiosity, what did you consider filler in Dragon's Dogma? I assume you mean the Notice Board quests? (Which to me weren't filler since they are entirely optional and do give you some great rewards and XP if you need it.)

I very strongly disagree with any KoA comparisons. The two games play totally differently, IMO. Amalur's third-person combat is very...planar...hard to explain but it is more like a Diablo-clone with a third-person camera. Dogma's combat is a very fast-paced visceral combat more akin to Devil may Cry or God of War.

Out of curiosity, what did you consider filler in Dragon's Dogma? I assume you mean the Notice Board quests? (Which to me weren't filler since they are entirely optional and do give you some great rewards and XP if you need it.)

The notice board quests for one, but the whole thing is very empty in general in terms of roleplaying. There's a ton of people and houses in the towns, but relatively little to do with either.

The item system is equally as shallow, with herbs, containers, and general rubbish being your reward for searching around.

It's definitely better than KOA:R, there's just that same, shallow feeling to some aspects of it.

I actually see it as more of a modern day beat 'em up more than anything. I hope for the sequel they either add a lot of depth with genuine RPG elements, or streamline it more to be a modern day BEU with a more tighter path, more drama, and less places to explore. At the moment it's too in the middle of both for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom