Arcania - "User Friendly" Sony DRM

Dhruin

SasqWatch
We received the following PR outlining the DRM scheme for Arcania. JoWood has chosen a relatively low-profile SecuROM setup, with one-time activation and unlimited installs:
ARCANIA – GOTHIC 4 WILL BE PROVIDED WITH USER-FRIENDLY DIGITAL SERVICES BY JOWOOD ENTERTAINMENT AND SONY DADC

Vienna, Austria, September 20 2010; JoWooD Entertainment, the BVT Group and DreamCatcher Interactive announce details of the planned digital services for ArcaniA – Gothic 4 and therefore react to the needs of the gaming community.

“Digital Rights Management as a module of the digital services has always been a tightrope walk between user friendliness and security of the product. ArcaniA – Gothic 4 is different here” explains Clemens Schneidhofer, JoWooD Entertainment. “With Arcania – Gothic 4 we deliver a high-quality product gamers will enjoy playing for hours. This joy and fun should not be disturbed by intrusive copy protection measures. So SecuROM is the perfect solution for us because it offers the necessary security and at the same time it fulfills our high expectations concerning costumer-friendliness.”

ArcaniA – Gothic 4 can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs and only needs to be activated once via the Internet. To play, which can be done at up to three PCs at a time, neither the original disc nor a constant internet connection is needed. The possibility of an uncomplicated transfer of license between the used PC offers a maximum of flexibility to the customer.

“The implemented digital services will be perfected by a user-friendly Auto Update Feature that informs the gamer pro-actively – without an annoying search – about the availability of a new Update and installs with the permission of the gamer right away” says Sascha Geschwendtner, Product Manager Games Services Sony DADC. “In addition other innovative solutions to increase the usability and the comfort of the game were implemented one of them being the verification of the release date. This feature allows the user to install the game in advance and to start it directly on the release date and therefore helps to avoid unnecessary waiting time to access the game-world.”
More information.

“In addition other innovative solutions to increase the usability and the comfort of the game were implemented one of them being the verification of the release date. This feature allows the user to install the game in advance and to start it directly on the release date and therefore helps to avoid unnecessary waiting time to access the game-world.”
This is an official company press release?? I think we need to get a team of English teachers together and organize a strike force. We can dress them up as "costumers"…

My upgrade only cost $500 and is well higher then the recommended specs so if you are willing to build it yourself you can get by relatively cheap. (this was a year ago so you can buy even better parts now for the same price)

Wasn't SecuROM also the NWN2 drm? That was one of few DRM implementations that truly annoyed me to no end. Starforce being the other game DRM which required its own patches to work. And then one which I dont recall since it would not work with my CD drive at the time. Dont even get me started on the rootkit DRM sony released a few years ago which thankfully I never had the fortune of directly encountering.

For securom, if you run system utilities from Microsoft (Process Explorer or Process Monitor) at all it prevents you from starting the game. I can accept Process Monitor advanced users could try to use to circumvent the DRM. However I use Process Explorer as my Task Manager replacement since its far superior. Anyway I spent 1-2 days troubleshooting until found I had to completely reboot my machine with Procexp disabled to be allowed to play the game. Customer-friendly indeed.

I remember the days when just about all decent PCs costs that much. ;)

Our IBM PC from 1982-84 costed about $200000, while the monochrome green "graphical workstation" Apple costed about the double. When I tossed the first (year 2000 bug) I salvaged the 512kb memorycard, large as a soundcard, completely covered with chisel. The hud was made in steel or iron.

I remember when I got complaints about all the SIERRA games I installed. Games like Police Quest I and Kings Quest took upp too much memory on the 10mb hd. The coolest part is that the screen was in color, so my friends used to come home to me to see the games since their own PC's could only display green or yellow. This was before Commodore 64 and Last Ninja.

The Apple is still in use. It's connected to a machine that cuts text and pictures in sticky plastic film.

That said, I grabbed two 480GTX this summer which is kinda pricy. I think it's crappy that Metro 2033 is still laggy. My CPU is overclocked from 2.8 to 3,8ghz but it's still not enough.

With Arcania – Gothic 4 we deliver a high-quality product gamers will enjoy playing for hours

It's really good we will enjoy playing it for hours. LOL.

What's surreal about all this is that we've reached the point were game companies actually advertise the DRM they use!

"Buy our product! It will be annoying but not as annoying as our competitor's"

It starts to sound like a Dilbert strip.

EDIT... what I coincidence...
Hey guys... I made this. :D

As long as SecuROM doesn't rip our PCs to shreds, this kind of DRM is fine. One activation, then playing without the disc? Count me in, it's better than having to find no-CD/DVD cracks or having to be online.

Several years ago after experiencing game install/run pc problems (round about DivDiv time) i had had enough to decide on having a second 'games only' pc. It is a barebones flat out machine with all extraneous processes disabled or removed, no internet, no browser, no antivirus, no firewall etc. Though not as powerful as some, this dual-core cpu and raided hhd machine 'purrs' its way through G3 like a hot knife through butter and none of the many game's played since has failed to run - i had triumphed where others had failed, my gaming sanity was restored.
When Arcania declared its 'too-high' system spec' requirements and on-line activation, i was venerably punched in the face. Jowood is effectively killing rather than encourageing its customers which in a way bears some travesty of justice - put my name along with the many others on that "count me out" list.

EDIT… what I coincidence…
Hey guys… I made this. :D

Nice and right on the spot :)

As long as SecuROM doesn't rip our PCs to shreds, this kind of DRM is fine.

Even if it decides what software your pc can run and what it can not ?
It is a 3rd party pimp .

One time online activation is fine for digital copies , cd check for physical , i can not accept anything more .

I have no problem with this kind of DRM, if it works as advertised.

They seem to think it can do some good in terms of fighting piracy, which I largely find to be a misconception - but since it's nothing more than a minor inconvenience - I won't mind.

That said, I'm not planning to get this - unless it's better than I fear it'll be.

I'll decide based on your comments here, and possibly a "trial" version. If the demo seems a fair representation, I'll just go by that.

I considered buying an IBM PC in 1983, for around $6000. That was without a hard disk drive, probably 128 K RAM and monochrome monitor. If I added a 10 Mb disk ($3-4000), 512K extra memory (another $3-4000) and a CGA adapter and monitor, it would probably cost around $15-20000.

I didn't buy it. I also avoided the bare-bones Apple Lisa at $15000. In stead I bought an 8bit Z80 based machine, 100K RAM and 2x200K diskette drives, which set me back $3000.

Pibbur is more right. These things *were* expensive.

and that was the reason of the failure of the very early Windows NT systems - they needed much more RAM than any other PC-compatible at that time, and RAM was expensive at that time !

Windows NT only reached further acceptance when the prices for RAM were falling. Not earlier.
(Except in pure business environments, maybe)

A NeXT Computer was insanely expensive at that time (or so it seemed to me, then), although it was the spearhead of technological innovation. It used Postscript as a means to build all of the "layout", how things looked like, as far as I know.

Edit : By the way, I don't quite understand the fuzz around SecuRom. It's been around for ages, and almost every game I know nowadays uses SecuRom. I have the impression as if other DRMs are only of minor importance regarding their distribution (Tagés, StarForce).

I don't see much difference between this DRM and Steam. Both activation, both no medium required after installation. If anything, this is better because you can run it on 3 PCs and you can resell.

That aside, I don't buy games with activation for full price. ;)

ArcaniA – Gothic 4 can be installed on an unlimited number of PCs and only needs to be activated once via the Internet. To play, which can be done at up to three PCs at a time, neither the original disc nor a constant internet connection is needed. The possibility of an uncomplicated transfer of license between the used PC offers a maximum of flexibility to the customer.

This is fine by me. I used to hate online activation, but as long as I can install it as many times as I want then I don't have a problem. I also really like not having to hunt down that DVD every time I want to play a game.

Back
Top Bottom