Kingmaker - Review and Interview

My guess is that one of those skulls on the fire belong to SilverCoin?

...and a few of the Unfaithful who have tempted the people with talk of "patches".

I tend to very much dislike rtwp combat. I have only ever completed kotor 1 and 2 in part due to the setting.

Would people recommend this as a game to someone who usually doesn't like the combat style for everything else the game offers?

Let's see. I hate party-based combat period. I hate RTwP. I'm not a big fan of Pen and Paper anymore. I hate companion crap. I hate isometric/top down….

I'm at 125 hours played and I work 50+ hours a week. Maybe more hours than anyone besides purple….It overcomes its many weaknesses.

I played over 150 hours, including time spent in beta. You are catching up pretty quick there, Nut ;)

Let's see. I hate party-based combat period. I hate RTwP. I'm not a big fan of Pen and Paper anymore. I hate companion crap. I hate isometric/top down….

I'm at 125 hours played and I work 50+ hours a week. Maybe more hours than anyone besides purple….It overcomes its many weaknesses.

That's quite a feat. What's making you enjoy it so much then ?

I am around 100h now. Got 3 characters to start of Act 2. I am a slow player as well.

Sawyer might be one of them. "Death to the endless ruleset tweakers! Ahh!"

Alright, I'll play the Obsidian fanboy part since Silver Coin seems to have left the building.

I agree PoE was less than stellar at release, and there was indeed a lot of tweaking going on. Also, for me personally going with a tried and working system like DnD would have been the smarter move. In the end though, PoE today is a solid game wish mechanics that work.

In PoE2, they did make some changes, but after release they haven't been tampering with the game other than fixing bugs and minor details. It was solid at release and is a damn enjoyable game.

I see no reason to bash PoE when there's hopefully room in the gaming libraries for both PoE, Kingmaker AND their sequels that I certainly hope will be made and be well received. The wait between NwN2 and PoE was what, almost 10 years? I don't want to wait that long again. I adore these type of games and want more of them! What I would like to see are more original settings though, here both Deadfire and Tyranny are steps in the right direction for me. (But again, the more the merrier, classical fantasy is fun too).

One could argue DA:O filled the gap somewhat, but although the story was good the mechanics were far worse than what Obsidian came up with in PoE.

One could argue DA:O filled the gap somewhat, but although the story was good the mechanics were far worse than what Obsidian came up with in PoE.

Have to disagree on this one. While I found DA:O mediocre at best, I certainly enjoyed it far more than PoE1. But I'm still hoping PoE2 will be more fun experience than both DA:O and PoE1.

Doubt I will find it out anytime soon though since Kingmaker is keeping me super busy! (but sigh… another patch tonight.. it's like daily update now)

Have to disagree on this one. While I found DA:O mediocre at best, I certainly enjoyed it far more than PoE1. But I'm still hoping PoE2 will be more fun experience than both DA:O and PoE1.

Doubt I will find it out anytime soon though since Kingmaker is keeping me super busy! (but sigh… another patch tonight.. it's like daily update now)
I also found DAO a superior game to PoE.
PoE did have some advantages like needing to rest to recover spells so it was a bit more tactical that way, but it was worse in almost all other ways.
Ok, PoE didn't have endless dwarf caves :D

Yeah seems the plan from now on is multiple hot-fixes every week followed by a monthly patch. Glad to see them fixing the game but these huge patch sizes are crazy.

They ranged from 500mb all the to 4GB's. Some of them mess up the game with more bugs, and comments suggest some of the fixes will only apply to new games.

So don't crucify the messenger Holy Owl Cat Cult.:biggrin:
I also found DAO a superior game to PoE.
PoE did have some advantages like needing to rest to recover spells so it was a bit more tactical that way, but it was worse in almost all other ways.
Ok, PoE didn't have endless dwarf caves :D
I still play DA:O when the mood strikes me. Damn shame BioWare went in a different direction with the rest of the series. I always use a mod to skip the fade parts.

I will respond by hooting "Hooo hooo" ;) (it's holy order of owlcat!)
No it's cult.:biggrin:
A misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
Still I don't mind it's nice to see an old school RPG get high praise. As for me all I want is better engine optimization to speed up load times. Then I'll gladly join your order.

Then I'll gladly join your order.

You will join the holy order soon enough ;)

Jokes aside, I'm really glad many people seem to share my view with Kingmaker. I've been waiting for a game like this for a LOOOOONG TIME!

Yeah, that seems to be a common opinion on the forums, I simply can't understand why. The character building was so poor and the whole system felt like it belonged in a MMO… It could be I'm coloured by the "mistake" of playing on hard where enemies simply had a lot more HP.

The story and presentation were really good though, but not enough for me to replay it.

Last edited:
Alright, I'll play the Obsidian fanboy part since Silver Coin seems to have left the building.

I agree PoE was less than stellar at release, and there was indeed a lot of tweaking going on. Also, for me personally going with a tried and working system like DnD would have been the smarter move. In the end though, PoE today is a solid game wish mechanics that work.

In PoE2, they did make some changes, but after release they haven't been tampering with the game other than fixing bugs and minor details. It was solid at release and is a damn enjoyable game.

I see no reason to bash PoE when there's hopefully room in the gaming libraries for both PoE, Kingmaker AND their sequels that I certainly hope will be made and be well received. The wait between NwN2 and PoE was what, almost 10 years? I don't want to wait that long again. I adore these type of games and want more of them! What I would like to see are more original settings though, here both Deadfire and Tyranny are steps in the right direction for me. (But again, the more the merrier, classical fantasy is fun too).

Nah, I'm not bashing PoE, I enjoyed the first game a lot. But the endless tweaks to the ruleset soured it somewhat, especially after dropping money on the beautifully made strategy guide that now had incorrect stats across the board. But it's not so much that I dislike PoE now or anything, it's just that Kingmaker made an incredible pen-and-paper, tried and true ruleset implementation, that I feel blows other RPGs away at the moment (for me, your mileage may vary. I happen to love p'n'p rulesets in RPGs). But I'll eventually probably take a peek at PoE2 since I heard it's very good, and look forward to them actually implementing the "new D&D" that I hoped was coming from them, i.e. a consistent setting, characters, lore and ruleset. I just also feel that from PoE->Tyranny they could have just made that with the same ruleset and also set it in PoE's world, and that would have been a chance to expand on it like Icewind Dale did for Baldur's Gate. But these are just my personal views on the matter. When it comes down to it I'll always prefer Owlcat for what they did with Kingmaker. It's a top CRPG to me.

Wait, you mean you haven't even tried PoE2 Fluent? Seriously? Well... do so and get back to me.

Back
Top Bottom