The Witcher 2 - The Not So Good Bits @RPS

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun's Richard Cobbett replayed The Witcher 2, and shares the second part of his retrospective that talks about the bad parts of the game. So here we go.

So, last time we looked at The Witcher 2 in all its glory. Today, we’re flipping it round. Where did things go wrong? Before we start, a clarification. While this will inherently be negative, it’s not to bash the game. The game was awesome, and many of the balls it dropped to the ground were at least pretty well gathered up by the Enhanced Edition. This is really more looking at issues to hope won’t be repeated by The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, allowing it to be all we want it to be.
More information.

A whole article is needed to say how bad console design, erm, QTEs are?
Sheesh.

I admit I didn't read the article. :)
Couch, thanks for bringing this up. I believe RPS would make more good if this article was written a month or two before TW2 was actually released.

Here I'll give you a short summary of the article and post his topics.

1. Development Insularity
2. Late Modding Tools
3. Bad Combat Balance
4. A Lack Of Monsters
5. Terrible Boss Fights
6. Overly Fractured Story
7. Bad Pacing
8. Mature Content Redux
9. Oh, Yes, And There Was A Character Called “Dethmold”

Last edited:
I want to see their #4 when they do the same thing for DA3.
What'll be there?
Lack of… Bears? :evilgrin:

Cobbett is on RPS, too? Jeez, that guy is everywhere!

"For most of Act 2 and 3, you’re almost unkillable on regular difficulty levels unless you do something particularly stupid."

They certainly did something about that. I was having no problem at all at the very start of act 3, fighting harpies as I moved on into town. Then WHAM!! Super-wicked gargoyles. OK, fine, probably not supposed to go there yet. Let's help these folks get into the sewers - WHAM!! A swarm of spiders!

Meanwhile the first of the game has become much easier since I got to keep armor and weapons from the first game.

Yeah, if there's one thing I can't stand it's bab pacing. ;)
You found a typo good for you have a cookie.:cookie:
I want to see their #4 when they do the same thing for DA3.What'll be there? Lack of… Bears? :evilgrin:
Probably not as they gave the game a good review. Though RPS did call DA:I a poor RPG, but good Single- player MMO game. Here is the link as I remember posting it before.

Link - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/22/best-rpg-2014-dragon-age-inquisition/

Last edited:
What!? We get cookies now for pointing out typos!!? <drool>

So just for the record, 'Dethmold' is a character from the novels, so the name is from Sapkowski, and all that aside, I have no idea what the hell's the RPS guy's problem with it.

As for the rest, most of it is guessing and blowing minor things out of proportion.

I guess, he didn't want to come across as a too much of a fanboy.

Back
Top Bottom