Marvel's Midnight Suns - Gameplay Reveal Trailer

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
The official gameplay reveal trailer for Marvel's Midnight Suns from IGN.

Get your first look at gameplay in Marvel's Midnight Suns, the tactical RPG from Firaxis Games (makers of XCOM and Civilization). Midnight Suns is due out in March 2022 for PC, PlayStation platforms, Xbox platforms, and Nintendo Switch.
More information.

Looks interesting. Although I’m not in love with the use of cards during the combat portions of the video. Firaxis has earned a lot of good will from me after their excellent XCOM games. But considering the poor history/quality of past comic book games I’ll definitely be waiting to see some reviews before deciding whether this one is worth the entry fee.

Well that doesn't look to bad. Still looks like a cinematic X-COM 2 though.:p

Sooo... card mechanics it is. I like.
If the story is half-way decent this could be an enjoyable ride. And who can resist the mustache-power of Blade? Nobody!!!

Doesn't do much for me, but at least the production values look good. It's interesting how they mixed in heroes from different Marvel IPs. I wonder what process they went through to choose who they were going to use.

I'm not a big fan of the card mechanics myself, yet I won't shoot down a game simply for that reason. I'll be checking out what people braver than I actually think of the game and go from there.

Who Are The Midnight Suns

Master a battle system that rewards clever thinking with Super Hero flair, across iconic Marvel locations in an epic tactical RPG set in the darker side of the Marvel universe. This is Marvel's Midnight Suns. And this is a deep dive into our gameplay experience.

The cinematics are not what I play Firaxis games for, to say the least. This "gameplay" trailer is all cut scenes and attack animations. I'll wait to see what playing the game actually looks like and involves.

2 cents on the card thing: in Xcom, when you level you choose a perk from two perks (if you're playing w/o mods, obvs). Making those cards means nothing mechanically. That's just window dressing. Unless you hate the whole idea of choosing between perks when you level up, and if you're an Xcom fan you don't hate that, the card thing doesn't matter.

2 cents on the card thing: in Xcom, when you level you choose a perk from two perks (if you're playing w/o mods, obvs). Making those cards means nothing mechanically. That's just window dressing. Unless you hate the whole idea of choosing between perks when you level up, and if you're an Xcom fan you don't hate that, the card thing doesn't matter.

I think there's a pretty significant difference between something you're choosing and something that's random.

I thought the first trailer made this look interesting but this "gameplay" reveal did nothing for me.

I didn't see much gameplay and what I did see looked like weaksauce from some bad indie Unity game attempt.

WTF?

As others have stated, cutscenes, fancy dialogs, and graphical glitz is NOT why anybody plays Firaxis games, and IMO they don't do a particularly good job with that stuff either.

Didn't look AAA to me and for sure this will be a $60 game.

What might have been the villain and some of the imagery looked directly out of XCOM2.

Cards suck! Also I don't like the Waay too much Marvel HeroMove Awe-Pose Overload.
I think this game will flop just like Cyberpunk..

I think there's a pretty significant difference between something you're choosing and something that's random.
But of course. The latter is called a lootbox in modern gamers language and a surprise mechanic that fixes your car/bike/plane/copter if you ask EA.

Not at all pleased with the cards. There could still be some mechanics behind the cards that will make it for me (are they chosen completely at random?) but I wouldn't bet on it.

At least I learned a little more about the City of Heroes "Midnight Club" (? I think that was the name?) that was clearly inspired by the Midnight Suns. Many of that game's references went right over my head.

Back
Top Bottom