Fallout - Fallout: New Vegas 2 & Fallout Remasters?

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
MrMattyPlays shared a rumour regarding Fallout: New Vegas 2 and Fallout remasters being talked about.

The report is in. Talks are underway at Microsoft in regards to remastering games in the Fallout franchise as well as putting Obsidian Entertainment in charge of "New Vegas 2." It is also said these are many years away, so while it's super exciting for many like myself who have just wanted to have the acknowledgment; we must remain patient (and expect the worst).
More information.

Probably some truth to the video. :thinking:

As Microsoft owns Bethesda and Obsidian. Question is would they use unity or just give the older games an HD makeover. F:NV 2 could use Bethesda's creation engine 2.

Problem is obsidian is busy with other games, and maybe inXile might be another option.

Years ago this would be exciting, but Obsidian are a different company now, without a lot of the talent responsible for New Vegas. Maybe if Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky wanted in? Its still annoying we didn't get this already as a Fallout 4 spinoff.

I'd be a bit concerned about Fallout remasters being done in the present climate. Then again, since I have the earlier editions handy, I guess it's not a big concern. Unless they're simply updating the games and not making any significant changes, in that case I'd say bring it on.

Years ago this would be exciting, but Obsidian are a different company now, without a lot of the talent responsible for New Vegas.

This is really the point for me. I don't want a sequel to New Vegas per se. I would like a game that has the same strengths in writing, choice & consequence, worldbuilding and quest design that New Vegas had. There's no reason why those strengths need to be tied to a specific setting, and it's an open question whether the people still working at Obsidian are capable of them. Cain & Boyarsky's performance on Outer Worlds did not inspire confidence in that regard.

I think the writing for Outer Worlds was mostly fine. The lore and story were nearly as strong as New Vegas. The big difference was with NPCs and quest design. The old Obsidian were masters of writing engaging quests that had unorthodox solutions; ones that actually made you feel clever for having thought of them.

The NPCs are likewise so much more memorable, with fleshed out personalities and quirks. I can remember most of Fallout:NV's companion, because they were engaging, sympathetic and well-written. Even some of the non-companion NPCs were terrific. I can't remember any of the ones from Outer Worlds very well (hum thief lady… doctor lady, some kind of robot… some kind of priest IIRC? It's vague).

It's where Fallout:NV really shined. You cared about the world and the NPCs. In Outer Worlds, the NPCs were thin cardboard cutouts that served to move the plot along.

"In very early talks" doesn't make me confident that it'll actually happen. Remember a few years ago when it was leaked that Fallout 3 was getting remastered?

It's where Fallout:NV really shined. You cared about the world and the NPCs. In Outer Worlds, the NPCs were thin cardboard cutouts that served to move the plot along.

That's another thing. Even if Obsidian does make a sequel to FO:NV, I wouldn't count on it living up to the first game. That was more than a decade ago, and Obsidian isn't quite the same company. The Outer Worlds is a great example.

Not really enough to get me excited, but I'll take it if it comes around.

I never managed to finish NV as it would inevitably start crashing after X amount of hours.

I think I've given it a serious go about 10 times - and yet I can never get it stable enough.

While I prefer Fallout 3 by a large margin - I do really like Obsidian writing for the most part, and it always pissed me off that I can't get to experience it.

So, for me, a NV remaster would actually be even better :)

I saw another similar article, but while it would make sense, I haven't seen anything concrete behind the rumours but wishful thinking. Let's just wait and see until there is something concrete. :)

At this point, I'm just curious to see what Avowed will look like, not only because it could be a very good game but also because I share the same doubts about Obsidian's recent games.

I had the same issue with crashing. I installed a mod that combined Fallout3 and Vegas(can't remember the name at the moment) but it allowed me to play 3 and Vegas without the crashes. Give it a try.

Last edited:
I had the same issue with crashing. I installed a mod that combined Fallout3 and Vegas(can't remember the name at the moment) but it allowed me to play 3 and Vegas without the crashes. Give it a try.

The mod is called Tale of Two Wastelands

I've never tried it myself as combining those games doesn't appeal to me, but it's good to know that it's a possible fix for crashing.

My problem with all Obsidian games is the quirkiness of the companions and stories. I really don't get the allure of the roman legion in Colorado, or the robot sex slaves of Mr. House or the weird companions in Pillars of Eternity. I prefer "normal" companions as opposed to people who would be put in an asylum anywhere else. Lily would be an exception. She was quirky but pretty cool. I felt Curie was Bethesda's attempt to make a quirky companion and she was the weakest of the set in F4.

I'd love to see Fallout 1/2 remade with the Wasteland 3 engine. It already has combat/conversation, character developments systems. Wouldn't take much I think to create those games using that engine.

I'd love to see Fallout 1/2 remade with the Wasteland 3 engine. It already has combat/conversation, character developments systems. Wouldn't take much I think to create those games using that engine.
Well that would be the Unity engine. Most crowdfunded RPGs used that engine.

Changing the graphics engine usually means re-writing the major part of the code. If they decided to do that, they should choose a reliable engine like Unreal, but it also depends of what language they were using (in this case, it's probably C or C++, which would be more comfortable with Unreal than Unity anyway).

Changing the graphics engine usually means re-writing the major part of the code. If they decided to do that, they should choose a reliable engine like Unreal, but it also depends of what language they were using (in this case, it's probably C or C++, which would be more comfortable with Unreal than Unity anyway).

I'd be shocked if Microsoft did anything like that for the older FO titles. I could see them re-releasing FO3 and/or FO:NV with a modest facelift, but I doubt they would think redoing the classic titles would be profitable enough to be worth the investment.

Back
Top Bottom