Fallout: New Vegas - Preview @ Games Radar

Dhruin

SasqWatch
There's a preview of Fallout: New Vegas over at Games Radar, reprinted from X360 World UK. We know most of the bullet-points but it's nice to read a full article, rather than a summary from a print mag:
There are other tweaks too, which make this new Fallout more of a refined, deeper experience, like the ability to modify weapons with custom parts, or use all your core skills to influence conversations. Obsidian have modified the old chat system to make influencing people seem more natural. So, for example, if you have high stats in a specific skill, the conversation options that appear on screen will be clear and well informed. In other words, you’ll know what you’re talking about. Try to use a skill with lower stats, and your dialogue will sound vague, like you’re BSing it. Which, of course, you are.
More information.

BSing? Really?
If true, I'll adore this game. :D

Indeed, it will be like playing a game, and writing a college paper, all in one!

Call me skeptical but this will probably only effect 2-3 conversations or maybe only one area. My concern is that someone will make a determination that there is too much text or too much to do voiceovers for. Its add a lot of QA requirements if you have to test that different conditions like this work properly.

Having said that I do hope that they take it to the degree that they did with stupid characters in Fallout 2 as that was one my fondest memories of that game.

The different dialogue lines for the PC aren't voiced so it technically wouldn't require any more voice acting than there was in Fallout 3 (one line for the NPC if the dialogue option succeded, one line for the NPC if the option fails).
It's also possible to write brilliant dialogue without superlong conversations, as shown by Vampire Bloodlines, so, as far as the script goes, I'm actually quite optimistic. Let's just hope they manage to fine-tune the gameplay and polish the game.

Back
Top Bottom