Baldur's Gate 3 - Adam Smith Interview @CGMagonline - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Adam Smith Interview @CGMagonline

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Adam Smith Interview @CGMagonline

June 21st, 2021, 06:42
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
I believe the Bethesda engine is called Gamebryo.
They started calling it the Creation Engine with Skyrim, but afaik, it's still largely based on the Gamebryo engine.

They're calling the engine being used for Starfield 'Creation 2.0' which leads me to believe it's just another modification of the same engine. I could be wrong though.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 07:13
Originally Posted by JDR13 View Post
They started calling it the Creation Engine with Skyrim, but afaik, it's still largely based on the Gamebryo engine.

They're calling the engine being used for Starfield 'Creation 2.0' which leads me to believe it's just another modification of the same engine. I could be wrong though.
I didn't know they changed the engine's name starting from Skyeim. That's new to me. Thanks!
--
Sou tricolor de coração!

Sie sind das Essen und Wir sind die Jäger!

henriquejr

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 09:11
I don't have an issue with the looks of the different races so much as the voice acting attached to them. It's pretty bad in some parts. Not bad from a talent standpoint but rather how it's delivered. For example, goblins speaking the common tongue perfectly and with heavily exaggerated British accents. I found it quite immersion-breaking at times.
Yeah I agree with some of the accents being not quite what you would expect. Some of the delivery is a bit too hoity-toity and upper class from fantasy characters you would expect to be more down to earth. The player voices available are a bit limited also and not what I'm after for the character concepts I want to create.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 09:43
I'm not sure how anyone could affirm they're slow at developing, since the EA only shows a small part of the game. It's a huge undertaking and Larian devs like to take longer than others to tune the game, which isn't a waste of time. I prefer a more balanced and polished result than an expedited release, there aren't many companies which can/would allow it, so for once we should appreciate it.

It's interesting to see the different opinions on the game. It confirms my conviction that Larian games requires some flexibility to accept them. People who really want the game to feel like classic isometric D&D games will reject it, others who can enjoy the game for what it is will probably love it (unless Larian makes a big blunder).

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 11:50
I don't know what their development pace is like, but I'm pretty sure the changes player can see are the tip of the iceberg, compared to all that needs to be done behind the scenes, including the remaining acts, classes, systems, etc.

Also, I'm happy with them using this engine they are using. They can tweak it and improve it as they go, but I see no need to overhaul it at this point in time or for whatever would be Larian's next game.

I also find hilarious that some people are calling BG3 a missfire when it hasn't even released, Though I can't blame them, only Larian is to blame for that by going with this lame EA route, and that is the one aspect I'm hoping they will learn from in future - don't leave your raw ribeye steak exposed before it's fully cooked for it to be enjoyed properly. The dogs will find it, and dogs can only do two things; bark and bite.

Nereida

Mentioned: Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 12:33
I don't get the "misfire" thing either (is the EA too long?), nor do I see any issue with the engine. I think it's more the association with D:OS/D:OS 2 that bothers people if they didn't like those games, rather than the actual 3D engine, so probably what they mean by that is the feeling of it, interactive environment, more or less similar graphics, infamous AoE and so on. I may be wrong.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

June 21st, 2021, 15:17
Originally Posted by henriquejr View Post
I believe the Bethesda engine is called Gamebryo.
Both correct and wrong. At one time it was the Gamebryo engine but that engine was discontinued. Bethesda heavily modified it to create their new creation engine.

Sure a small part of the code is the same but it's no longer the same engine.

Anyway yes I would like to see them create and use a new engine but it probably wont happen. As they rely on the mod scene to make their game better and sell more.

I've read about the latest creation engine 2 and it's even more upgraded and modified.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 21st, 2021 at 16:39. Reason: Minor Correction

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 15:23
Originally Posted by [QUOTE=Redglyph View Post
I'm not sure how anyone could affirm they're slow at developing, since the EA only shows a small part of the game. It's a huge undertaking and Larian devs like to take longer than others to tune the game, which isn't a waste of time. I prefer a more balanced and polished result than an expedited release, there aren't many companies which can/would allow it, so for once we should appreciate it.

It's interesting to see the different opinions on the game. It confirms my conviction that Larian games requires some flexibility to accept them. People who really want the game to feel like classic isometric D&D games will reject it, others who can enjoy the game for what it is will probably love it (unless Larian makes a big blunder).
Well that's you I've always been a hater of Early Access. It started out as an option for small developers, and somehow became a tool for larger developers to exploit.

So yes I firmly believe Larian is large enough with multiple studios that development should be faster. They also should not have gone the Early Access route either.

As for development being slow it's been almost a year what have they shown or released yet? I already answered that the druid class, and a few patches that's all.
--
"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something." & "What is the secret to eternal happiness? To not argue with fools."
Last edited by Couchpotato; June 21st, 2021 at 15:56. Reason: Minor Correction

Couchpotato

Armchair Contrarian

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
+1:

June 21st, 2021, 16:32
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Well that's you I've always been a hater of Early Access. It started out as an option for small developers, and somehow became a tool for larger developers to exploit.

So yes I firmly believe Larian is large enough with multiple studios that development should be faster. They also should not have gone the Early Access route either.
I know you, Nereida and many others are against the idea, frankly I don't think it's always correct either. I just don't mind in some cases where it's a good formula.

They did the EA for the feedback, they're all about stats so it made sense, but selling EA at full price is pretty much revolting. I don't hate myself for purchasing it because I wanted to see how it looked, and I was confident they would make a good game. But I won't do that often for others than selected indies (EA or better, Kickstarter).

Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
As for development being slow it's been almost a year what have they shown or released yet? I already answered that the druid class, and a few patches that's all.
That's what we just said, they only show a little part of what they've done, and their updates are not frequent. So it doesn't mean much. Anyway Swen said lately "maybe 2022, maybe 2023", so there's the ETA, no matter what was done in the past. Who knows, maybe they can already anticipate and switch to D&D 6E?

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

June 21st, 2021, 16:37
Originally Posted by Arkadia7 View Post
Larian can't always hit a home run, so I'm hoping this game was just a misfire (although a pretty colossal one)
"was"? The game hasn't even been released yet. How can it already be a misfire?

For example, goblins speaking the common tongue perfectly and with heavily exaggerated British accents. I found it quite immersion-breaking at times.
What?
Why would they do that? I mean I could think of one or two jokes with Brits and Goblins, but apart from that this decision totally doesn't make sense.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 18:25
I’m actually a fan of early access. It’s basically just a pre-order with the option of trying the game out early if I want. No one is paying to be a beta tester either ( unless they want to). It’s totally optional. As is the option to buy at release.

I am surprise by how long development is taking considering they already had the engine. It doesn’t bother me though I have plenty to keep me busy.

Imo.

Watcher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 19:02
I meant for myself, its already a misfire. As I already said, just lots of aspects and from my point of view, bad and unappealing decisions made about the game from the get-go.

If it sounds like I have already written BG 3 off, in my mind, well, yea I have. Just my opinion.

I am not totally trashing Larian, just hoping for better stuff in future. (that appeals to me)

I still consider Larian a leading rpg developer, sorry if I'm coming off too harsh or blunt.
--
To check out my games library, and see what recent games I'm playing, visit my steam profile! -- http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197982351404

Arkadia7

SasqWatch
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 19:08
The game looks like it's going to be great -- when it's done. I agree that years of early access by a major developer is way too much.

Although I guess if the norm is to release buggy games and then patch them live it's at least more honest to just openly say that you're putting it on the market in an unfinished state.
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 19:15
Originally Posted by Imo. View Post
I’m actually a fan of early access. It’s basically just a pre-order with the option of trying the game out early if I want. No one is paying to be a beta tester either ( unless they want to). It’s totally optional. As is the option to buy at release.

I am surprise by how long development is taking considering they already had the engine. It doesn’t bother me though I have plenty to keep me busy.
Early access can be a good thing exactly for the reasons you give. I was in early access for Grim Dawn and there it was very good because they gradually added more areas so you could play on after every update without having to repeat earlier things. If it is done in this way, it is great.

However, if it is done in a different way, e.g. the story is already complete and you add only things like new character classes, then the risk is there that people get tired of trying every new version and burn out on the game.

I don't know, how they do it here, but since I have enough other games to play, I will wait a little bit.

bkrueger

Nothing to see here.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 21st, 2021, 21:04
Originally Posted by Morrandir View Post
The game hasn't even been released yet. How can it already be a misfire?
Apparently it's ok to do that with other games but not anything from Larian.

What?
Why would they do that? I mean I could think of one or two jokes with Brits and Goblins, but apart from that this decision totally doesn't make sense.
Good question. I wish I knew. The silly exaggerated accents might have worked in the D:OS games, but they seem really out of place here.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 21st, 2021, 22:52
Suggestions for both Bethesda and Larian in terms of their future games - junk the
Original Sin engine, and junk the ancient Morrowind whatever-they-call-it engine. I get it will cost heaps of money to do that, and to do brand new high tech cutting edge rpg engines from scratch, but it would be worth it, eventually. My 2 cents.
I'm pretty sure in the case of Bethesda, they're not going to give up the mod scene and authors that have guaranteed them billions of dollars in profits over the last 15 years. They will keep the basic framework from gamebryo that allows modding. Everything else has been scrapped long ago. I'm not sure what computer role-playing games people are playing that really have better graphics than a fully-modded Skyrim or Fallout 4. DOS2? Hah!
--
c-computer, r-role, p-playing, g-game, nut-extreme fan
=crpgnut or just
'nut @crpgnut
aka survivalnut

crpgnut

Survival Game Nut
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2021, 08:12
I meant for myself, its already a misfire. As I already said, just lots of aspects and from my point of view, bad and unappealing decisions made about the game from the get-go.

If it sounds like I have already written BG 3 off, in my mind, well, yea I have. Just my opinion.

I am not totally trashing Larian, just hoping for better stuff in future. (that appeals to me)

I still consider Larian a leading rpg developer, sorry if I'm coming off too harsh or blunt.
That makes more sense.

I personally try to stay kind of neutral until I finally play it. Of course I read a snippet about the game here at the watch but so far there hasn't been a show stopper. There seem to be some decisions that I don't like myself, but that won't make it a bad game. It just won't be a perfect game (for me), which is ok. Still looking forward to it.

Apparently it's ok to do that with other games but not anything from Larian.
Hm… you're hinting something. I don't get it.

Good question. I wish I knew. The silly exaggerated accents might have worked in the D:OS games, but they seem really out of place here.
Yep, that would fit the D:OS style… I had hoped that we wouldn't see this in BG3.
Is there a video with goblins speaking?
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

June 22nd, 2021, 08:47
Yep, that would fit the D:OS style… I had hoped that we wouldn't see this in BG3.
Is there a video with goblins speaking?
https://youtu.be/9DJ5dfCPBdE?t=183

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

+1:

June 22nd, 2021, 09:14
https://youtu.be/9DJ5dfCPBdE?t=183
I think I see what you mean.

To be fair, they had accent in LotR too: https://youtu.be/ufFOghMt1yI?t=88

They've got to have some, the idea of a "no accent" is only subjective to people with the same accent. Perhaps it could be lighter though.

Redglyph

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Team

June 22nd, 2021, 09:17
Originally Posted by Redglyph View Post
To be fair, they had accent in LotR too: https://youtu.be/ufFOghMt1yI?t=88
I'm not sure what Orcs in LotR have to do with Goblins in the Forgotten Realms, but it's not like they set a very high bar in those films anyways.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Adam Smith Interview @CGMagonline