NWN2: MotB - George Ziets Interview @Giant Bomb

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Giant Bomb had a chat with Creative Lead George Ziets, about his work on Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. Video Interview at the link.

Party of One: A Dev Chat About Mask Of The Betrayer

Rorie sits down with George Ziets to talk about Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer, one of the best RPG expansion packs ever made!

Who wants a delicious solo stream with your favorite video game personalities? Your table is ready!

Apr. 11 2022

Episode Notes:

If you'd like to donate to Pencils of Promise, click here!

https://fundraise.pencilsofpromise.org/team/412231
More information.

Sigh...we need someone to make NWN3. Unity or Larian's engine would be perfect. Though mods are what makes both games great, and would need a different engine.

Well, you know Unity wouldn't be my 1st choice given the poor results we've seen these last months :p But what matters most is what they do with the engine.

Agreed about mods, too few games support them. But mods is a feature the devs need to develop, it's not really related to the engine. Except that if they don't, Unity allows to hack into games, we saw that with the 3rd-party classes made for Solasta for ex, but those are really just hacks that break with updates.

I'd love a NWN3 too, but what would you want it to be like?

For my part I'm not sure to be honest. Something similar to Pathfinder in presentation and UI, preferably 3.5 and not 5E, but most importantly, a good story with choices of RP, good companions (no "mercenary-like" companions). Nope, I'm not really original :-/

And no extra management layer.

So, something like a NWN2 remake would be perfect, we're back to the same conclusion.

PS: couldn't watch the entire video though, the interviewer keeps being distracted by the game, fiddling with the sound, with the spells, the controls, not finishing his questions to get back to the gameplay... what a mess!

Last edited:
Something similar like NWN 2 with a modern update and focused on story would be perfect. There are many settings you could pick as the various fan-made mods do.

I recall the spell-plague happened and that would be a good choice as well.

How would you compare this new Solasta, with mutli-player support and more enhancements to the dungeon editor, to the glory days of NWN2 and all the community content? Or what about Knights of the Chalice 2 and his module editor? Both seem like they have some potential along these lines, no?

When you guys are talking about a NWN3 above are you talking about the community made modules or just a modernized version of the NWN2 game / main campaign?

How would you compare this new Solasta, with mutli-player support and more enhancements to the dungeon editor, to the glory days of NWN2 and all the community content? Or what about Knights of the Chalice 2 and his module editor? Both seem like they have some potential along these lines, no?

When you guys are talking about a NWN3 above are you talking about the community made modules or just a modernized version of the NWN2 game / main campaign?
Solasta is probably as close as we'll get to a new NWN game. On it's release it was a pure combat simulator but the various DLC and patches have fleshed it out.

As for Knights of the Chalice 2 the mods are great but the graphics are terrible.

So yes remake NWN 2 or develop a new game with a good story campaign and mod support. As right now comparing the above games is like apples vs oranges.
NWN2 was my favorite game for quite some time. After PF:KM release, now it is my favorite old game :lol:. How I love this game man. The music, the setting, it just brings me joy.
Yep both games are my longest running and installed on my PC. It's all due to the mods and a not a single RPG has come close expect the various Bethesda games.

Last edited:

I think Solasta is still far behind, but I haven't played (and won't play) the new DLC, or checked how the DE has evolved (does it support quests now? EDIT: apparently yes). I don't like the dialogue system and the cell limitations of the DE, it looks like a duplo world. I love what they did with the UI and how good the D&D 5E is implemented though.

I don't know KoC2.

For me it would be the game first. NWN has an Enhanced Edition but its interface has aged. NWN2 doesn't have an EE, the controls don't work correctly anymore, and I have never found that the graphics were much of an improvement over NWN. But it has the best spell shortcut system, and I like D&D 3.5.

New campaigns are always welcome, of course. Preferably with real companions and not the system they had in NWN2.

If only there was a campaign editor for Pathfinder. The game has everything already.

Last edited:
If only there was a campaign editor for Pathfinder. The game has everything already.
God yes but once again they used the dammed Unity engine and the track record of providing easy mod tools seems all but impossible, or to much work to make happen.

It's like the infinity engine games all over again until some modder made it possible.:(

God yes but once again they used the dammed Unity engine and the track record of providing easy mod tools seems all but impossible, or to much work to make happen.(

Tell me about it. Even recently I saw a post of someone wondering why his PC was getting abnormally hot with this game. But at least it's possible to lower the graphics settings and get it working (what he did), unlike Solasta for some.

You must be right about the mods, the devs often hide behind the complexity of the SDK as a motive not to provide any editor, but I understand them. Why would they spend time making a game editor when there's an SDK? It makes sense. But it doesn't help modders, so perhaps a bad plan for the long term?

NWN2 doesn't have an EE, the controls don't work correctly anymore, and I have never found that the graphics were much of an improvement over NWN.

I remember being very excited about NWN2 but when it came out the graphics in my opinion were just terrible compared to other games being released at the same time. It was a major disappointment for me, and so I never really played the game...I think I finally played Mask of the Betrayer over a decade later.

The glory days of NWN and community content was with the first game, and it doesn't compare. Not even close. There were hundreds of modules, including dozens of legitimately great ones.

I remember being very excited about NWN2 but when it came out the graphics in my opinion were just terrible compared to other games being released at the same time. It was a major disappointment for me, and so I never really played the game…I think I finally played Mask of the Betrayer over a decade later.

I wouldn't say the visuals were terrible, but both NWN 1 & 2 have aged a lot worse than the Infinity Engine games imo.

Have said this to my RL gaming friends... I pains me greatly that the OwlCat titles don't have a creation engine (yet - I live in hope). So many character building options but only the official releases to play through, it's a real shame. I'm not 100% things could ever get as good as NWN in it's heyday, it'd be real nice though. I'd happily purchase a "modders" DLC or whatever for the game if it would let people build and play community created stuff. My concern would be that as we've moved on to higher and higher quality content would it be accessible enough to generate the volume of content to be viable.

I am keeping an eye on Solasta and it's community stuff... Has anyone tried it yet?

I am keeping an eye on Solasta and it's community stuff… Has anyone tried it yet?
There's a few campaign mods available only on the steam workshop but if your like me and have the GoG version you can uses use steamdownloader to get those mods.

There might be a Nexus site as well but the scene is nothing compared to NWN.

Back
Top Bottom