Dying Light 2 - Released

Peak today:245,553 on steam, probably will double since its the weekend
very good release, nowhere near cyberpunk but still

Anyone knows if the night Bullet sponges zombies are back?

Volatiles are in (haven't played but I've seen them in a video where the author was saying he would've been fine with them not being carried over).

No worries on the bullet sponge thing though - since apparently there's almost no guns in the game.

Anyone knows if the night Bullet sponges zombies are back?

12.5 hours in and I've only encountered one Volatile, and that was fairly early on in the game as part of a special encounter.

So far, travelling around at night just required you to be a bit stealthy so you don't upset Screamer zombies and end up having to participate in a chase (where fast zombies try to chase you down until you lose them or die). A chase has levels, and apparently it has to extend for quite a while before Volatiles become involved. Overall, it's a lot less deadly than nighttime in the first game. But if you really screw up, you'll still pay.

So far the story elements are much more fleshed out than the first game, and I'm still locked out of about 60% of the city due to MQ constraints. So, who knows, maybe Volatiles come into it more later on.

I'm reading about poor performance issues that are tied to it's DRM.:uhoh:

Some gamer's can't even play the game because of faulty DRM.

Also lack of guns is a plus as guns were wonky in Dying Light and Dead Island.

I'm reading about poor performance issues that are tied to it's DRM.:uhoh:

Also lack of guns is a plus as guns were wonky in Dying Light and Dead Island.

The performance issues are across platforms. It has nothing to do with DRM. You can easily chalk up such comments to confirmation bias.

My Dying Light 2 (on Xbox) has recently taken to showing a black screen every 5-20 seconds. It's evidently a common thing. It's unplayable.

For various reasons, this is one of the most uncomfortable games to play that I've played in a long time. Sliding off platforms. Stopping dead in your tracks if you brush against scenery. Delays in the menus. Delays after dialogue scenes. It feels like a constant battle just to play the thing.

Luckily I've noticed no such performance hitches on the very average PC I'm using. It's been a silky smooth experience in 15 hours+, so far.
(Is the black screen, menu delays, etc, a console-only problem? A last-gen problem?)

The sort of bugs I've encountered have been of the "dude floating a foot above the ground" sort, or "creature spawning in front of you", and pretty rare.

Couchpotato said:
Yeah, I've read about some DRM-related lock-out if you start the game more than 5 times in one day (?). A bit shitty if true.

Edit: Just checked Steam forums and there is a 50+ page thread about incessant start-up crashes. Jeepers, glad I've managed to dodge that so far.

(Is the black screen, menu delays, etc, a console-only problem? A last-gen problem?)

I read that it (black screen) happens on PC too, but that it's more common on console.

I would bet that the menu delay is controller (not necessarily console) specific. They seem to want you to put the cursor on the tab you want like you would with a mouse. I prefer to use the LB/RB keys and that's when it gets draggy.

Some of these things are pretty disappointing to hear, and I'm talking more about the gameplay changes from the first game than the technical issues.

First, it's really lame that they nerfed the nighttime. That's one of the coolest things about Dying Light. I wonder why they did it, and I hope it wasn't because there were that many people complaining it was too difficult.

Then they streamlined the game world as well? Not that it's smaller because I know it's not, but locking the player out of parts until the story opens them. I thought it was going to be open in the same manner as the first game where you can explore like 99% of the map from the very beginning.

Then they streamlined the game world as well? Not that it's smaller because I know it's not, but locking the player out of parts until the story opens them. I thought it was going to be open in the same manner as the first game where you can explore like 99% of the map from the very beginning.
Its not too bad as far as that goes. At about 16 hours in I unlocked the rest of the world - which features skyscrapers and gliding and heights that will make you go splat.
There'll be people who didn't really look around that'll manage to do it in less. On the other hand, the first half of the city has enough content that you could muck around for quite a long time before having a burning desire to see the next area. Once the second half is unlocked, there is a (sensibly justified) way of fast travelling between them.

First, it's really lame that they nerfed the nighttime. That's one of the coolest things about Dying Light. I wonder why they did it, and I hope it wasn't because there were that many people complaining it was too difficult.

I don't know how much they did or didn't nerf the difficulty, but what I can tell you is that night-time activity is dramatically emphasized. In fact, it's been a bit annoying that 85% of the content I come across is intended for the night… almost all exploration and a good chunk of the quests, including main quests.

Evidently, people largely slept through the night in DL1 (as I did myself), so they wanted to incentivize not doing that. Maybe that also included making night time less dangerous, I don't know. It's certainly no less annoying. I don't like time limits, and night time is one big time limit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom