Witcher 3 - More Popular Now than Launch Day

Have any good mods been released for Witcher 3? I'm mainly curious about stuff that would add new content / adventures but something that improves the official content could be good too.

Actually, yes, there are tons of mods for TW3 over at Nexus Mods. I'm not sure about new adventures, but some of the overhaul mods are very highly regarded.

Unless you are really concerned in playing as vanilla as possible, I highly recommend better monster trophies mod. It makes each of them unique and there is a noticeable difference when using the right trophy in a fight. Other than that, the big texture mod whose name eludes me (it's among top ten most endorsed mods on nexus), but I guess you're not after that. Don't know about any content/quest mods.

When I played Skyrim with quest mods, they would alway stick out, being better than most side quests in the game. I did pick the best rated quest mods, but that's the beauty of it. And there are a lot of great quest mods for Skyrim so you are spoiled for choice. Such mods would fit perfectly and seamlessly in W3, it's a shame there aren't many. The only one I know of is the remake of the Witcher 1's prologue, but that's more of a proof of concept.

Hopefully, this new popularity of the game reignites the interest in making quest mods, but I guess that it will mostly depend on the ease of use of the modding tools.

Edit: Couch linked the texture mod I was talking about while I was writing the comment.

He specifically asked for mods that add new content. So no.:biggrin:

Anyway as I said mostly combat, game re-balancing, and graphic mods.

This is the only mod I care about. - https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/1021

He asked if there were any good mods and then mentioned that he was mainly curious about stuff that would add new content.

The answer to his primary question is yes, there are good mods. There aren't a lot of quest mods, but TW3 isn't a game that needs them for most people. Imo, there are almost too many quests in the game as it is.

Last edited:
And there are a lot of great quest mods for Skyrim so you are spoiled for choice. Such mods would fit perfectly and seamlessly in W3, it's a shame there aren't many.

Not sure I agree with that. I find that most fan-made stuff is usually inferior to stuff made by the developers and tends to stand out in a lot of games.

I can see such mods fitting in better with a game like Skyrim because Bethesda's writing and quest design leave something to be desired.

Not sure I agree with that. I find that most fan-made stuff is usually inferior to stuff made by the developers and tends to stand out in a lot of games.

I can see such mods fitting in better with a game like Skyrim because Bethesda's writing and quest design leave something to be desired.

Well, perfectly might have been a too strong of a word, but there are a lot of great quest mods for Skyrim with good design, writing and great, almost professional voice acting. Sure, it will never be "the real thing" but I imagine if some of those modders that made those mods for Skyrim made Witcher mods and the tools were as easy to use as Skyrims, they would come pretty damn close. And it's not like 100% of side quests in Witcher are gold, either. Some are your run of the mill fetch quests, maybe with a slight twist, and throughout all three games, some quest suffer from backtracking.

My comment about them sticking out is because Skyrim's quest are rarely original or well designed, but in Witcher 3 good design is the norm so they wouldn't stick out as much. Maybe in the other direction, like you say, but not as much.

but in Witcher 3 good design is the norm so they wouldn't stick out as much. Maybe in the other direction, like you say, but not as much.

That would depend on the modder. I'm not sure how many are out there that could design quests on the same level as those designed by CDPR.

I agree that the mod tools are a significant factor though. Bethesda titles obviously have a big advantage there.

Witcher 1 prologue made in witcher 3 is some good content; there are over 2500 mods i think on nexus, had the patience to browse through the first 80 pages lol, and most of them are just convenience/graphic/rebalance combat.

Im using these in my current playthrough, on my way to skellige now :biggrin:

1j4ij1Q.jpg

edit there are alot of fun mods as well like this one https://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2136 will surely install it after finishing the game

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if I've ever seen someone using that many mods for TW3 simultaneously. Has your game been completely stable?

80% of the mods on the Nexus at best and I'm being nice.:biggrin:
lol, and most of them are just convenience/graphic/rebalance combat
Never used cheat mods though I prefer trainers.

now the real fun begins

xkY68uc.jpg
:lol:

ps yesterday
24-hour peak
all-time peak

:party:

I'm just waiting, patiently, for all those professional reviewers that didn't play the game and still wrote reviews about it to admit they finally played it and confirm the postTW3 effect - any game played after TW3 completion feels like the worst game ever.

An effect not carried over when watching streams. Far fom it. It is rather the opposite, streamers protect, that negation of gaming was avoided.

Thankfully I do not watch Streams. For you - too bad you were kidnapped into the world of Streaming….

Not watching streams and playing vid products that are depicted in the way it was.

An example of committment.

When I get back to it (it's only been five years...and I literally built my last rig just to play it), I'll probably pick up the mods that removed things like dirty lens flare, water droplets on the 'screen', removed button prompts, etc...I dislike all those things and use mods that increase immersion. Fun to see now that there are also ones that let you use a shield or add in a lot of 'ambient' animations too.

You sound like a glass tube kid - never to experience life.

An effect not carried over when watching streams. Far fom it. It is rather the opposite, streamers protect, that negation of gaming was avoided.

Not watching streams and playing vid products that are depicted in the way it was.

An example of committment.

Well, perfectly might have been a too strong of a word, but there are a lot of great quest mods for Skyrim with good design, writing and great, almost professional voice acting. Sure, it will never be "the real thing" but I imagine if some of those modders that made those mods for Skyrim made Witcher mods and the tools were as easy to use as Skyrims, they would come pretty damn close. And it's not like 100% of side quests in Witcher are gold, either. Some are your run of the mill fetch quests, maybe with a slight twist, and throughout all three games, some quest suffer from backtracking.

My comment about them sticking out is because Skyrim's quest are rarely original or well designed, but in Witcher 3 good design is the norm so they wouldn't stick out as much. Maybe in the other direction, like you say, but not as much.

I have played maybe 95% of the quest mods for Skyrim, at least in part, and I couldn't disagree more. There were two quest mods that were up to snuff: Interesting NPCs and Beyond Skyrim: Bruma. Everything else was some combination of poorly written and buggy that made them stand out in a not good way. There were some I enjoyed nonetheless (I liked the 'Cheese of Ages' guy's mods, for example), but I was still (often painfully) aware that I was playing a mod with all of them.

It was the same way with Oblivion. In fact, I didn't play any mods that I'd consider top quality for that game. With Morrowind, the best of LGNPC, Illuminated Order, and especially Tamriel Rebuilt breathe that rarified air.

Overall, I trust modders to do things like retexture a hut, but the people who have the writing chops and scripting skills to do professional quality quest content are few and far between, and I would not trust the average Joe to implement a Witcher 3 quest that didn't suck, at least by comparison to the game itself.

You sound like a glass tube kid - never to experience life.

Glass tube kids never experience life. It would not be without a bit of deshumanization.

Streaming a vid product made for streaming is an experience in life.
Watching a vid product made for streaming being streamed is an experience in life.

Playing a vid product made for streaming without streaming it or watching it being streamed is experience in life.

There are though people who want to make the most of an experience. And others, those who are satisfied with half baked, sub par experiences. They prefer to get a sense of belonging, it soothes their insecurities.

Back
Top Bottom