Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition for iPad Announced and More

So, you'd recommend buying an expensive tablet so you can pay for the privilige of experiencing ancient games forced upon an inferior platform?

All because you have people walking by and an uncomfortable desk?

Good reasoning there.

If I hadn't already played all these games, I'd probably just get them extremely cheap and play them as they were intended to be played - with an interface designed for the platform I already own.

But such is the way we all differ.

They arent expensive. The entry level ones are much cheaper than gaming laptops (or really any laptop that doesnt come with integrated gtaphics that lets you game at all on the go) and much more user friendly. Most people like old people hate computers and the iPad is perfect for them and for anyone that doesnt have the time or wants to waste it upgraing drivers all the time and fighting malware. And I was expressing how it fits in my niche and why I personally prefer it over a desktop, I wasnt speaking of all users but explaining how you were painting everything with a broad stroak without realizing there are other people with different set ups at home or simply different needs than you. Just because you are a geek who likes to tinker with your desktop PC and upgrade it and play with stuff all the time, doesnt mean everyone else does. Just because you like to sit in front of a crammed desk for hours on end, doesnt mean everyone else does. etc. etc.

with an interface designed for the platform I already own.

So therefore you must own an XBOX360 to have played Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 1 & 2, any of the Mass Effect games, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, etc ... basically 90% of RPGs of the last decade. Otherwise you just disproved your own point.

They arent expensive. The entry level ones are much cheaper than gaming laptops (or really any laptop that doesnt come with integrated gtaphics that lets you game at all on the go) and much more user friendly. Most people like old people hate computers and the iPad is perfect for them and for anyone that doesnt have the time or wants to waste it upgraing drivers all the time and fighting malware. And I was expressing how it fits in my niche and why I personally prefer it over a desktop, I wasnt speaking of all users but explaining how you were painting everything with a broad stroak without realizing there are other people with different set ups at home or simply different needs than you. Just because you are a geek who likes to tinker with your desktop PC and upgrade it and play with stuff all the time, doesnt mean everyone else does. Just because you like to sit in front of a crammed desk for hours on end, doesnt mean everyone else does. etc. etc.

Ah everything you stated can be reversed about you also. It seems you cant operate a pc properly. Quit forcing your apple agenda on all of us and do us a favor and put a gag in it.

I was taking you serious till you started all the apple worship comments.There are other good things in life than a tablet. You should try them.

Seriously seek professional help I'm not kidding if your serious. Your an apple addict.

Hmmm in a job I go away a lot with limited space the tablets are awesome.

They arent expensive. The entry level ones are much cheaper than gaming laptops

Sure - but on a $/functionality ratio they lag considerably. I am a huge iPad proponent, but they are not truly independent devices yet (though they are getting closer). They remain a luxury item.

I was taking you serious till you started all the apple worship comments.

Really? You held out that long? ;)

Also, personally I've never played this game or beat Baldur's gate fully or battle academy. I hate pcs and learning keyboard shortcuts, and my uncomfortable desk in the middle of the living room with everyone walking by. so for me these are brand new games I wouldn't experience otherwise

Who sets up a desk in the middle of their living room??

As I asked before why are you trying to push this on an rpg gaming site. Ipad's can't compete in rpg gaming at this moment?

It's a fruitless argument really.

I wish that this forum could have an ignore user post option.

I wish that this forum could have an ignore user post option.

It does but all it does is put the users posts to a single line saying so and so on your ignore list. I use it on a few people here.

So therefore you must own an XBOX360 to have played Oblivion, Fallout 3, Dragon Age 1 & 2, any of the Mass Effect games, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Skyrim, etc … basically 90% of RPGs of the last decade. Otherwise you just disproved your own point.

I own every platform relevant to my interests. Imperium Galactica 2 was designed with the PC in mind - as was Baldur's Gate.

You're kinda reaching, aren't you.

I own every platform relevant to my interests. Imperium Galactica 2 was designed with the PC in mind - as was Baldur's Gate.

You're kinda reaching, aren't you.

Definitely! :) Really just trying to prove a point - we have accepted games that were never designed for the PC, games like Oblivion, Dragon Age 2 (I'll give #1 a pass), Deus Ex HR, Serious Sam III, Dungeon Siege III, Arcania, and on and on. And now we are going to turn around and have the same exact argument as we did 10 years ago about 'designed for' ... ?

Definitely! :) Really just trying to prove a point - we have accepted games that were never designed for the PC, games like Oblivion, Dragon Age 2 (I'll give #1 a pass), Deus Ex HR, Serious Sam III, Dungeon Siege III, Arcania, and on and on. And now we are going to turn around and have the same exact argument as we did 10 years ago about 'designed for' … ?

What do you mean we have accepted it? :)

YOU are proving my point - because you KNOW that console interfaces on PC games aren't desirable.

So PC interfaces on a tablet device would be…. ?

You talk as if I'm great with the console influence. I can't be arguing separate issues all the time. I have to stick with one problem at a time.

I'm more than willing to talk about all the other issues we're facing because of opportunism and the road to the biggest safest buck - but a separate thread would be better for that.

The App market thing is just a drop in the ocean, really.

Also, it's in the explosion phase right now. Everyone and their grandmother is out to get a piece of the pie. It's obscene to me, to watch human beings scramble to look for gold.

The market will oversaturate within a handful of years - and then it should be clear to most people, EXACTLY what these tablet/smartphones have done for gaming.

You think it's a positive, right?

Let's wait 5-10 years and see :)

They change the interfaces when they port cross platform you moron (unless they are Square Enix or Sega). The point was that the iPad is a lot more similar to a PC interface (as long as the games are all mouse based and not with many icons) than consoles or dedicated handhelds. So if PC gaming dies or is dying at least this platform could keep it alive.

Also, you should blame Valve for what Steam did for gaming and blame Nintendo for what it did with the Wii and waggle controls for gaming. Oh yea, but Apple is the big culprit right?

What Apple did for gaming is make it more affordable so more people could experience it without worrying about the costs. It also allows for classic games that most people missed that were tied to a single platform to be experienced again by a whole new generation. That's what the ipad and Apple did for gaming and quit comparing smartphones to tablets. WHy do you people keep doing it with so many exclusives and the experience being so much better?

This game, Baldurs Gate, Aquaria, Battle Academy, etc. are PC and iPad games and not smartphone. I dont see why you feel you have the need to bring up smartphones everytime someone mentions Ipad games or ports?

I'm not blaming anyone.

I'm just pointing out why I don't see a point in buying a product for no reason at all.

If you think it's worth your money, that's fine - but you have no argument to support that position whatsoever.

What do you mean we have accepted it? :)

YOU are proving my point - because you KNOW that console interfaces on PC games aren't desirable.

My point is that you off-hand refer to playing Skyrim or Dragon Age 2 - those are console games. Same for EVERY Bioware game after NWN, every Bethsoft (now including id) game after Morrowind, everything from EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.

The number of games we as PC gamers can claim as 'PC games' is very small, includes mostly EU-developed and indie games ... and since you have already stated you'd rather play a console game than an indie game (yes, I know ;) ) ... that doesn't leave much.

All kidding aside, I believe that every platform has games that work extremely well on it. We have a XBOX360 with a great library of games, and my older son in particularly plays the heck out of it ... I have never completed a game. I am just not a fan. That doesn't make it inherently inferior - but it is just not for me.

But I acknowledge that certain games really play better on the console - in general they are not the type of game I care about.

Tablets (ok, iPad) are interesting - due to things like compass and gyroscope they allow for integrated motion in gameplay mechanics. So at a basic level you will not get a better race game mechanic (aside from one of those massive driving cockpits).

But they also feature multi-touch surfaces with a large interface - this means that selection, zoom, pan and turn are all easily integrated. For action games ... even on a tablet I still find them sub-par compared to the PC. But for turn-based games, they are not just good - I would argue that it is inherently superior to the PC (and eons better than the consoles).

The market will oversaturate within a handful of years - and then it should be clear to most people, EXACTLY what these tablet/smartphones have done for gaming.

You think it's a positive, right?

No I don't think it is positive. Back in early 2009 I did a rather extensive dissection of the differential cost models of the typical 'AAA' game compared to an app store game. Basically my conclusion was that while we could see excellent ports, we would never see truly top-tier games unless something changed in the current 'all for a $1' mindset.

And while for the majority of things that hasn't changed ... the advent of the iPad and the HUGE market for >$5 apps has shown that people take these things seriously as computing devices. We have musicians plopping down $30 for virtual instruments (not crappy music games), business folks paying >$15 for office apps, and so on.

So the price has definitely shifted with the added iPad capability - and with games such as Avadon and Bard's Tale and now BG EE ... we have the POTENTIAL for more good games that WE as RPG fans would enjoy to come to that platform.

Will we see some sea change where most tablet games are great? Well - answer me this ... where do the majority of console/PC/handheld sales go? Year updates to mediocre shooters & football games (both types), and licensed (i.e. movie/TV) games.

My point is that you off-hand refer to playing Skyrim or Dragon Age 2 - those are console games. Same for EVERY Bioware game after NWN, every Bethsoft (now including id) game after Morrowind, everything from EA, Ubisoft, Activision, etc.

They're not console games - they're multiplatform games sharing a relatively similar hardware base. There's a pretty big difference.

Also, I don't have as big a problem with the console platform - because it's quite powerful and it's a dedicated gaming platform. The market is also completely different from the App market.

My problem with console games is about the interface - and the technical barrier of limited memory.

But you need to think in less rigid terms. It's not about me claiming that console limitations are positive - but that the games coming out on them are infinitely more interesting to me - than what we've seen on tablets.

Naturally, I'd prefer PC games taking advantage of the PC platform - but I can't have that.

I fought against the console influence for a long time, and I still fight against it when the limitations become evident.

So, I don't think you really understand my meaning.

The number of games we as PC gamers can claim as 'PC games' is very small, includes mostly EU-developed and indie games … and since you have already stated you'd rather play a console game than an indie game (yes, I know ;) ) … that doesn't leave much.

You can call them console games if you want to, but I don't. They're multiplatform games and the platforms are both infinitely more suited for games - if you ask me.

All kidding aside, I believe that every platform has games that work extremely well on it. We have a XBOX360 with a great library of games, and my older son in particularly plays the heck out of it … I have never completed a game. I am just not a fan. That doesn't make it inherently inferior - but it is just not for me.

I'm not saying the iPad is inherently inferior in an objective sense. If you really prefer games that play well on it, then it's not inferior to you. That's fine.

Tablets (ok, iPad) are interesting - due to things like compass and gyroscope they allow for integrated motion in gameplay mechanics. So at a basic level you will not get a better race game mechanic (aside from one of those massive driving cockpits).

Interesting? Ok. Like the kinect is interesting - I suppose. I grant that.

But they also feature multi-touch surfaces with a large interface - this means that selection, zoom, pan and turn are all easily integrated. For action games … even on a tablet I still find them sub-par compared to the PC. But for turn-based games, they are not just good - I would argue that it is inherently superior to the PC (and eons better than the consoles).

Good turn-based games could potentially exist on the Tablet, I agree. The only problem is how the market works. Because when people are lining up in the millions to play "small" games of limited depth (like Star Base Orion - recently) - there's really no reason to create something better.

No I don't think it is positive. Back in early 2009 I did a rather extensive dissection of the differential cost models of the typical 'AAA' game compared to an app store game. Basically my conclusion was that while we could see excellent ports, we would never see truly top-tier games unless something changed in the current 'all for a $1' mindset.

Then we agree.

And while for the majority of things that hasn't changed … the advent of the iPad and the HUGE market for >$5 apps has shown that people take these things seriously as computing devices. We have musicians plopping down $30 for virtual instruments (not crappy music games), business folks paying >$15 for office apps, and so on.

As I said, I'm not ruling anything out. I'm just not seeing the fantastic games - and I'm not seeing fantastic games ever becoming the norm.

So the price has definitely shifted with the added iPad capability - and with games such as Avadon and Bard's Tale and now BG EE … we have the POTENTIAL for more good games that WE as RPG fans would enjoy to come to that platform.

The potential exists on any platform, really. But what good is potential when dealing with human nature?

The nature of the platform and the market will all but eliminate any hope of truly strong titles becoming commonplace.

I'm finding it hard to understand how you, an otherwise reasonable person, can't see the obvious limitations of the platform. Yes, it's very convenient and powerful for such a small device. But it's STILL a small device - and it still doesn't hold power for very long - and there's STILL a natural complexity challenge when dealing with strict touch-based interfaces. It's STILL nothing compared to a powerful PC or dedicated hardware - so any strong turn-based game will STILL be of limited visual appeal or direct itself to another kind of market. Most developers STILL want to support the Smartphone/iPod market when doing a game - because it's a much bigger market.

It's like saying we have the potential to do great R rated movies. We stil end up with mostly PG-13 rated stuff all the same.

Need I mention Prometheus?

Will we see some sea change where most tablet games are great? Well - answer me this … where do the majority of console/PC/handheld sales go? Year updates to mediocre shooters & football games (both types), and licensed (i.e. movie/TV) games.

Even so, I'm still getting several fantastic console/PC games each year - and I've yet to see a SINGLE iPad/Tablet game that could truly compete for my attention.

I'm all about the games - so it's not bias. I'm just not into "light/cute/remakes/rehashes". I can get more than enough of that on the PC already. I don't need another platform with another endless stream of superficial gaming experiences. I also have a backlog large enough to fill several lifetimes worth of my limited free time.

Back
Top Bottom