The Witcher Netflix series begins production.

Awesome, I love that guy. He probably already played the three games.

Seems a nice enough bloke, but I don't think I've ever seen him in anything I thought he was very good in.

For me, it's not about good or bad, it's about fitting the role.

I liked Cavill as Superman, and he seems to be a decent actor, but I can't imagine him being Geralt. Everything is wrong.. age, looks, voice, mannerisms, etc.

I just can't help but to think there were better choices.

Atleast the good thing is there is some serious money behind the show. I can't imagine Cavill being cheap.

I too can't imagine him as the Witcher from the games but the Geralt from books doesn't have beard and supposed to be "young" as well so who knows...

For me, it's not about good or bad, it's about fitting the role.

I liked Cavill as Superman, and he seems to be a decent actor, but I can't imagine him being Geralt. Everything is wrong.. age, looks, voice, mannerisms, etc.

I just can't help but to think there were better choices.

Because you're used to the video games.

The series will be based on the books, and not on CDProjekt's interpretation (although I think it will be hard to avoid the influence).

Because you're used to the video games.

The series will be based on the books, and not on CDProjekt's interpretation (although I think it will be hard to avoid the influence).

Geralt in the games isn't dramatically different from Geralt in the books. Afaict, appearance-wise, the only significant difference is that he's younger. Some say he's also leaner and less muscular in the books, although I don't remember that in particular. I've only read The Last Wish, and that was a long time ago though.

I'm surprised they would base it on the books seeing how the games are much more popular internationally. I think Geralt's age might be a factor there.

Either way, I think the casting of Cavill was a popularity contest at least in part. He'll bring in a lot of viewers than an older, uglier Geralt wouldn't.

Geralt in the games isn't dramatically different from Geralt in the books. Afaict, appearance-wise, the only significant difference is that he's younger. Some say he's also leaner and less muscular in the books, although I don't remember that in particular. I've only read The Last Wish, and that was a long time ago though.

I'm surprised they would base it on the books seeing how the games are much more popular internationally. I think Geralt's age might be a factor there.

Either way, I think the casting of Cavill was a popularity contest at least in part. He'll bring in a lot of viewers than an older, uglier Geralt wouldn't.

Age almost never translates from character to actor.
Voice is not something that the book will can accurately depict.
Mannerisms can be described, but considering they were attached to a mouse/keyboard/controller in the games, they're still open to broad interpretation.
And looks? Just go to a book fan art page and see 20 different interpretations of the characters. Probably half the GOT characters in the series looked nothing like what people imagined in the books, but now if they read the books, all they could picture is those actors (or with LOTR, etc). Which is the same case here. We've psychologically burned into our brain that "RPG Witcher Geralt" is how it should be from now on.

I'm just glad they have someone who will give the part his undivided attention.

Ah shucks they should of just hired Geralt's voice Actor Doug Cockle.

I get it he's probably to old and bald. Doesn't attract viewers.

Age almost never translates from character to actor.
Voice is not something that the book will can accurately depict.
Mannerisms can be described, but considering they were attached to a mouse/keyboard/controller in the games, they're still open to broad interpretation.
And looks? Just go to a book fan art page and see 20 different interpretations of the characters. Probably half the GOT characters in the series looked nothing like what people imagined in the books, but now if they read the books, all they could picture is those actors (or with LOTR, etc). Which is the same case here. We've psychologically burned into our brain that "RPG Witcher Geralt" is how it should be from now on.

I'm just glad they have someone who will give the part his undivided attention.

I don't disagree with most of those things, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Most people identify with CDPR's Geralt from a visual & voice standpoint. Maybe that won't impact opinions on Cavill much, but I don't think that's realistic. The characters in GoT, LotR, etc didn't already have a particular look and voice attached to them.

I don't have a great feeling about this production, but hopefully it turns out better than what I'm expecting. I would love to be wrong in this case.

I don't disagree with most of those things, but I'm not sure what your point is.

Most people identify with CDPR's Geralt from a visual & voice standpoint. Maybe that won't impact opinions on Cavill much, but I don't think that's realistic. The characters in GoT, LotR, etc didn't already have a particular look and voice attached to them.

I don't have a great feeling about this production, but hopefully it turns out better than what I'm expecting. I would love to be wrong in this case.

I think my point is that people have an ideal in their head, and they just don't want change, because it's uncomfortable.

Kind of like the whole Daniel Craig / Bond controversy. Which in the end turned out to be the best kind of change.

I don't particularly like Henry Cavill but I don't particularly hate him either. I'll watch an ep or two of Netflix's new The Witcher series and if it doesn't reek too much of bad cheese I'll give it a season. I'd like to see Yennefer played by Eva Green or perhaps a younger actress that looks like her

No. Yen = Miranda -> it's only fair Yvonne Strahovski gets the role.

I think my point is that people have an ideal in their head, and they just don't want change, because it's uncomfortable.

Kind of like the whole Daniel Craig / Bond controversy. Which in the end turned out to be the best kind of change.

Well, I think that's understandable. A lot of people, probably the majority, have never read the novels. So why wouldn't they be skeptical of them casting someone who doesn't seem remotely like the Geralt that they've known?

I'm also very curious if this was really the producer's intent all along. I suspect this is one of those instances where they make their story fit the cast rather than casting for the story. Cavill is a pretty big name right now, and I'd be surprised if they were actually expecting to get someone on his level for this project. I think they lucked out that he happened to be a big fan.

Something that concerns me more though is that the producer is American and, afaict, has never been a showrunner before.

He said in the past he played the games and read the books several times. I think i read somewhere he nearly missed some role because he didnt answered the phone cause he was playing witcher haha.

He said in the past he played the games and read the books several times. I think i read somewhere he nearly missed some role because he didnt answered the phone cause he was playing witcher haha.

He was playing World of Warcraft and apparently he was healing someone in dungeon!

From around 1:30 mark

This guy is gamer through and through!

Some of you might have whacked him in PvP and didn't even know it. :)

One of our guild leaders was very secretive about his life. We knew sometimes he would have to leave in the middle of a raid to do something work related. We knew he had expensive house and car paid for. There was a girl in our guild who lived near him so he surprised her at work once, and after that, she wouldn't tell us anything. As months went by and we spend more time with him, he would let little things slip, like an event he was attending, and he finally let it out of the bag that he was a big name with a big company and everything fit. Even his voice over Vent was an "Aha!" moment. He wasn't superstar famous, but enough that the media follows him. Just based on that encounter, I wonder about all the many other people played with, and how many are famous identities.

I'd go in this with low, low, low expectations and drink some votka before watching it.
Last adaptation I've seen was what Dylan Dog movie...bah!

Back
Top Bottom