Skyrim You crashing a lot too?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Thaurin

SasqWatch
Really, I'm wondering how much problems people are having with crashes to desktop and if a fix is going to be released. Crashes occur totally at random and can happen anywhere, exiting a dungeon, after fast travel or simply riding my horse. At the moment, there are maybe 2-3 crashes every play session. I keep losing progress this way. It's becoming a real problem.

Apart from this, there seem to be a lot of other bugs, too. Like the dialogue menu messes itself up sometimes, and selecting a line of dialogue will start a different line from the one I chose. Bad Bethesda.

I've played for about 7-8 hours and have crashed 3 times. Sure it's annoying but since I come from Deus Ex HR which would totally lock up in dx11 this is way better. I'll be back in game in less than a minute. I think all my crashes are while roaming outdoor Skyrim.

Steam tells me I've logged around 65 hours so far on my laptop and I crashed twice. Both times the game had been running for a rather long time and then it crashed when I used the F12 key to take a screenshot.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm back to desktop in a fraction of a second and it loads back up fast enough. I just get tired of replaying the same 15 minutes again. It just seems like an unusual frequent amount of CTDs. I never had this many for any game. Maybe I need to upgrade my nVidia drivers, or something.

And my crashes have also always been outside.

I've had 2 crashes. One right near the start when I transitioned between areas. I figured I was doomed to many crashes but at least it happened right after an autosave. But then nothing for several days until I was out crossing the plains and it just went *poof*. That time I lost a bit of play but not nearly as much as when I several times have just plain forgot to save for a long time and get killed.

I am getting CTD as well :( There is no usual crash report and the game just "vanishes"

I've had 2 crashes in about 50 hours, so nothing spectacular.

Hmm, seems a good part experiences the same kind of immediate *BAM* crash to desktop and others don't. Gives me some hope that a solution will be found. Especially in an immersive game like this, it's very jarring that at any time I can suddenly get pulled from the world and put back in Windows. :(

No crashes so far, I suspect there is a memory leak due to behaviour of otehr applications when skyrim has been running for a while. Also only saw one with DX:HR with about 100 hours of playing.

No crashes yet, about 25 hours. However I do get a graphic glitch after playing a bit. At random some objects become all white. .. Like white plastic. Clearly losing there texture or unable to load it. Only fix so far is to reload.

I really love the game but no denying it has some bugs .. Ranging from minor to major depending on how lucky or unlucky you are. Also some texture issues on Xbox and save game issues onps3.

Doing some searches on the white out glitch but no luck at moment. Hopefully a patch will fix it. May be due to memory leak? It only happens after playing for awhile.

Yes I've run into some bugs and one CTD. I was trying to offload some heavy loot which was slowing me down but the merchant's menu kept disappearing, I had to exit the shop and wander in again.

The previously mentioned bug of the hot keys dropping off items for which you have multiples is a pain in the ass because I hot key healing potions, and when I need them most they've dropped off again.

I also had some slaughterfish glide out of the water and chase me on solid ground which was quite upsetting.

I also had some slaughterfish glide out of the water and chase me on solid ground which was quite upsetting.

Heh, too bad that's not intentional...How funny would it be to have killer fish that chase people on land? This would make approaching rivers much more intense ;)

The previously mentioned bug of the hot keys dropping off items for which you have multiples is a pain in the ass because I hot key healing potions, and when I need them most they've dropped off again.

That's a real fuckup. So if you play a potion guzzling fanatic, you have to go use the favorites or inventory menu (along with the the freebie game pause).

Bethesda should fix this first in the next patch (if they are even aware of it…).

I seem to remember that happening in Oblivion (or was it Morrowind)? Totally new engine, same bug? hmmmmm

Last edited:
I'm crashing at least 2 times every game. I just save a lot.

Also my graphics will get all messed up when dealing with water sometimes. If that happens I save and quit immediatly because that means I'll soon crash.

Not really a big deal. I play 6 - 8 hours a day and out of that time I maybe crash 2 or 3 times.

One annoying thing is that the color in some armor sometimes disappears. It'll become a light purple color like the base coat. If you save and quit then load it up again then the color is back.

The game doesn't use more than 2GB of memory, according to some people it's the reason for the crash and graphic strangeness.

There is a fix: Large Address Aware patch.

I have had several crashes in the 28 hours I have played. But I save alot so hasen't been a big a problem.
About the dialog problem I think its similar to the general UI problem where the mouse just doesn't work very well. Just like with your inventory its better to use WASD for dialog aswell I feel.

I have had two technical issues with Skyrim so far:

#1: I have a Gainward GeForce GTX 570 Phantom that is OC'ed to 800MHz/2000MHz and I'm using the 285.xx official driver. One time I loaded the game my card "forgot" to throttle up to full clock speed, i.e. when it should have been running at 800/2000 it was in reality running at 400 something/1000 something and I was getting very low FPS because of this glitch. I had to exit the game and restart my system to fix the lowered clock speed issue.

#2: I read somewhere that people were getting better image quality results when setting AA/AF via the nVidia control panel instead of the in-game settings. I definitely can not confirm that. I changed the in-game settings to no AA and no AF and altered the Skyrim.exe profile in the nVidia control panel to 32x CSAA and 16x AF. The game wouldn't even load correctly with those settings. I had to revert to the in-game settings where I'm using 8x AA and 16x AF which looks and works just fine.

Back
Top Bottom