Stay away from Verbatim Life Series DVDs

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Yeah so bought a 100 pack of Verbatim Life Series DVD-R's and regret every doing so. As more them half the spindle were good for nothing but coasters at this point.

So I have to ask why the decrease in quality of blank DVDs recently?

Just a reminder don't ever buy these.>:O

597196_p_center_97177_1

Last edited:
hmm the real question here is why are you buying blank dvd in this day and age? :)

Who cares if their dvds are any good? I want to know how their blank cassette tapes are?:biggrin:

Might be dependent on when they were made. Only have a limited life time.

Also have some of them, even Verbatim. Bought over 10 years ago, and while I am not sure 100% and I don't want to try it now, I am pretty sure that the last time I tried to burn something some of them were broken.

Correction: Mine are CDs :D

Do you resell the DVDs? I know I went through a period in 2000s when netflix first started that I would copy every single movie that I could and did that for maybe 3 years. I think I even have several books of DVDs somewhere in storage. What I realized at some point was I was never going to watch a single one of those ever again and frankly didn't even watch half to begin with. I cannot even be bothered to copy them up to my NAS which would improve that likelihood considerably.

If I were to do something like that now I would just upload to a NAS so I could stream them. But I guess I'm not really the market for this any more. I did dig out my spindle of blank DVDs the other day as I though I would need to make a recovery disk but in the end I didn't so those 80+ 10 year old DVDs survive for another day and hope that they work when I might actually need them.

But I think they are going to be like my zip cartridges and zip drive. Vestiges of a prior era never to be read again.

Hum. DVDs. Used to burn them for my parents but now-a-day i use usb. Wanna archive 50GB of photos Hum… 20 dvd or one usb…. Why i keep the raws i never will know… Having said that you shouldn't depend on the data lasting 10 years much less 100 years.
-
Just checked the box of dvd i purchased in mid 2000's - Verbatim DataLifePlus. So far 100% success but i haven't used the last 10 or so in the package (it was a bulk package of 50) in about 4 years. Crise they are old. Found the receipt - email archive is great - 2005. Ack $25 for 50 DVD-R. Dang shipping was expensive. I really shouldn't look at old receipts.
-
Hum. they are suppose to last 100 years; i wonder if my last rw-dvd drive will last that long. Oh well i'll never know.

Surprised Blurays did not get into the PC market and limited to Sony (guess that's their baby). Bluyrays would have solved the storage capacity problems with DVDs, but I guess enough of moving mechanical parts and forward into the solid-state memory age.

Well just read this as DVD's are still going strong with movies.

Link - https://www.thrillist.com/tech/nation/why-are-dvds-expensive-and-who-buys-them

As for blank media well I'll be blunt movie piracy is the main seller.

I was just joking obviously.

As far as movies go, there’s only a handful of movies I’d ever watch more than once. So for me the time and effort to burn them wouldn’t be worth it. They can be found digitally for cheap or on Services like Netflix and the like.

I bought a Blu-ray burner several years ago for my PC but never burned anything with it and probably watched only a couple Blu-rays on it.

Now we have 4 PC’s in the house and none of them have an internal dvd drive. We share 1 usb dvd drive between them but to be honest I have no idea where it is. I haven’t used it since windows started selling on USB stick. It’s been years.

Surprised Blurays did not get into the PC market
Two reasons.
1. Because optical media on PC got destroyed by cheap USB external fast and rewritable tons of space on gadgets of pocket dimensions unlike CD/DVD/BR.
2. Fast internet, downloads and streams. Without xmbc horror UI and without TV remote crap, but because of instant getting what you need with keyboard and mouse.

I was just joking obviously.

As far as movies go, there’s only a handful of movies I’d ever watch more than once. So for me the time and effort to burn them wouldn’t be worth it. They can be found digitally for cheap or on Services like Netflix and the like.

I bought a Blu-ray burner several years ago for my PC but never burned anything with it and probably watched only a couple Blu-rays on it.

Now we have 4 PC’s in the house and none of them have an internal dvd drive. We share 1 usb dvd drive between them but to be honest I have no idea where it is. I haven’t used it since windows started selling on USB stick. It’s been years.
I know just wanted to add a link and yeah s USB stick would be better, but my older family members are more of a Luddite then me. Can't really fault them different ages.

They prefer watching DVD movies I own/download.
Do you resell the DVDs?
No but twelve years ago I did but only for $1-2 for family and co-workers.

It wasn't to turn a profit just extra money.
Two reasons.
1. Because optical media on PC got destroyed by cheap USB external fast and rewritable tons of space on gadgets of pocket dimensions unlike CD/DVD/BR.
2. Fast internet, downloads and streams. Without xmbc horror UI and without TV remote crap, but because of instant getting what you need with keyboard and mouse.
Yeah nowadays I watch movies on the PC or Netflix on my smart TV.:nod:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom