Skyrim - What the Next Game Should Fix

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Five years out from release, it's more obvious for some how weak Skyrim was in certain areas, and the new Special Edition doesn't fix that. RPS pens an editorial on what they'd like to see Elder Scrolls do next time.

m_Skyrim02.jpg

With Skyrim’s Special Edition managing to feel not that special, it’s put me to thinking about what it is I want from the next Elder Scrolls game. What are the features I would love to see in The Elder Scrolls VI: Hammerfell? What are the series’ tropes that could use a tweak? I’ve expounded on this below.

Restarting Skyrim in its marginally better engine with its equally dreadful NPCs, it’s hard to entirely settle back into a once-familiar game and enjoy it all over again. Five years is a long time in gaming, and with what I can only ascribe to Bethesda’s singular dedication, they’ve made a special effort to preserve all the bugs and weaknesses of the original release, rather than fix them like a lesser developer might think to do. So this is a game that not only feels a bit ragged (albeit occasionally rather pretty), but one that really goes to some efforts to frustrate by still featuring all the things that were rubbish with it half a decade back. (I mean, five years to create a special edition, and at no point did anyone think to maybe even speed up the achingly dreary and agonisingly slow opening sequence.)
More information.

Dreadful... hard to enjoy... preserve all the bugs and weaknesses... a bit ragged... frustrate... rubbish... achingly dreary... agonisingly slow

Boring.

i only hope we will see the dwarves in tes6, either when they were for real in the first era or coming back in the present to take over the world or something :biggrin:

i only hope we will see the dwarves in tes6, either when they were for real in the first era or coming back in the present to take over the world or something :biggrin:

I think a time-travel scenario could be interesting. Incorporate a quest that has us going back to a time before the Dwemer disappeared.

We had a dwarf in Morrowind, suffering of a blight disease. And he seemed to know what happened with the dwarves. Would also be nice to actually have a decent choices and consequences system, the possibility to rebuild the imperial might, meet again the Morag Tong and actually have some decent NPC's.

Not gonna happen, but we can dream, right?!

What I want in the next ES game - a game designed for a PC mouse and keyboard as opposed to a controller; with an inventory management system like SkyUI built in.

Do that and I don't care what else they do, I'll play it. (Who am I kidding. I'll play it anyway.)

High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
I think a time-travel scenario could be interesting. Incorporate a quest that has us going back to a time before the Dwemer disappeared.

Not just a questchain, would love the whole game to be about them, and probably would be appealing to many since their dissapearance is one of the greatest mysteries of the universe.

I was looking now at the tamriel map, and the remaining regions (which didnt had a past game in them) seem uninteresting and not too good for a whole new game, well except maybe for summerset isles. I dont think they are bold enough and risk it to make it to the eastern continent :D

We had a dwarf in Morrowind, suffering of a blight disease. And he seemed to know what happened with the dwarves. Would also be nice to actually have a decent choices and consequences system, the possibility to rebuild the imperial might, meet again the Morag Tong and actually have some decent NPC's.

Not gonna happen, but we can dream, right?!
Well Avellone is a free agent now and he is already working for Bethedsa on Prey 2. Maybe, just maybe they hire him as chief creative manager or something and he gets to oversee the creation of the story and the NPCs

Right now, Avellone works on the new Torment game, on Divinity Original Sin 2 and Prey. His work schedule seems to be full. But, maybe Bethesda can actually poach him and use him for both Elder Scrolls and Fallout franchises. Though, i doubt that will happen, as Chris seems to be keen on remaining independent. But stranger things happened...

Heh heh… This will have our local Beth-fanboys foaming at the mouth. ;)
I used to be one of those fangirls, but then they took the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. out of Fallout. I can't forgive that, because it isn't Fallout anymore without S.P.E.C.I.A.L.

On the other hand I still want TES VI. With all the flaws it's going to have. More consequences and some non-combat skills would be very nice, though.

The next game already exists, and the next next game should be the same rubbish.

Bethesda decided to step down from king of sandbox openworld throne and become yet another WoW killer wannabe. Hopefully they'll sell Fallout rights to someone else, in the meantime I wish them luck with ESO2.

Really why would they fix anything?

Sales have shown that people will through hard earned money at their buggy, no story wonder the world games.

The only reason I can figure out is because they get to make their own character and mods. Lets not forget you can mod it to make the game playable.

They could even take the dragons age 2 root and just copy and paste a bunch of crap together(repeat)and I am still sure millions would be happy.

New engine, better combat, better enemy/npc AI, better UI, co-op, continue to improve already great mod support.

The best part of Skyrim was the uninstall function. The next game should fix this: install the game, watch the opening sequence, and then automatically uninstall it. 10/10.

Still boring. Some people have fun trying to bring something big down instead of trying to make themselves big.

Lets not forget you can mod it to make the game playable.

The game is playable without mods just fine. I've spent more than 600 in Skyrim without mods (almost) and I've spent more than 200 hours in Fallout 4 without mods.

The game is playable without mods just fine. I've spent more than 600 in Skyrim without mods (almost) and I've spent more than 200 hours in Fallout 4 without mods.

Fine for some not so fine for others. I've spent about 50 hours on vanilla Skyrim and then another 200 playing around with mods.

Back
Top Bottom