Microsoft - Win 10 Gaining Traction

Long story or short one? O.k. the tldr version:

I work in a business school where we exclusively use and teach MS Office because it is "industry standard". We also get full software support directly from MS, while we would have to employ a third party software service company - too much bother.

I regularly get a licence for a new version for very, very cheap and I don't have to bother with branching open source projects (OpenOffice vs LibreOffice etc.) and the permanent compatability issues especially with PowerPoint clones.

Well, in that case it is work related isn't it?

Uninstall Windows Update KB3035583 and reboot. Or if you want to just disable the pop up customize the task bar icons and choose hide icon and notifications for the GWX icon.

Uninstalling KB3035583 didn't work for me. The next day I walked into my room after lunch to discover Win 10 installing itself.

My advice is that if you do anything at all (and if you haven't already) is just bite the bullet and do a complete fresh format/reinstall.

But that's only possible if you purchased a full copy rather than upgrading, right?

So now they're straight-up lying to their customers. A "no" button no longer means no. It means whatever Microsoft wants it to mean.

Fuck you, Microsoft. Linux has just drawn leagues closer on my horizon.

/shrug - Perhaps you windows update set to automatically install? It'd re-install itself if that was the case.

But that's only possible if you purchased a full copy rather than upgrading, right?

No… not true. On my laptop I upgraded from 8.1 to Win10. A few weeks later I started experiencing quite a lot of wonkiness. I went through the exercise of re-creating user accounts which helped for a time, but the wonkiness returned along with new wonkiness.

Like you, I wasn't sure if I would be able to do a fresh install after having upgraded because when you upgrade there is no license key involved. But I was having so many annoying problems at this point I just decided to try to do it and if it didn't work out I always had my Win8.1 discs.

Just go to here and create a Windows 10 install USB Stick. When you install you will have the option to partition and reformat the drive (obviously backup your data well before this) and then install Win10.

The end result is a clean Win10 installation and just like the upgrade, you're never asked for a license key. I'm not clear how this works, but I've read online that when you previously upgraded to Win10, MS tracks your computer hardware and already has you validated for Win10 on that machine should you subsequently need to reinstall the o/s. Hopefully, they're not watching us while we shower but if they want to watch a middle aged white guy shower have at it I guess.

Thanks for that info. I'm not sure when I'm going to upgrade, but I guess I better make up my mind pretty soon.

I wonder if swapping out the hard drive before trying a full install would mess anything up as far as being validated. I want to upgrade my 500GB SSD to a 1TB one in the near future.

Long story or short one? O.k. the tldr version:

I work in a business school where we exclusively use and teach MS Office because it is "industry standard".

When I was in training as an IT professional in 2000-2002, I had that as well : Because MS Office was considered to be "industry standard".

I firmly believe these days that they did it because MS gave it to them for only a tiny bit of money or any other form of corruption - meanwhile harassing them "if you dare to use any other Office package ..."

This practise is widely known for the OS itself, and it has always been the ONLY reason why PC manufacturers bundles MS Windows with that ...

Me, I rather wanna try out the OS/2 successor eComStation ...

I don't get why any home user would use MS Office ?

Open office is fine for anything a home user would want to do I guess??

Not really. For an engineer/student/developer/researcher I need to communicate with a lot of people and Open/Libre-Office will take care of formatting about 80-90% of the time. That other 10-20% means lost time, confusion, and poor impressions. It's a basic expectation to get office documents to look and work right *all the time*. And this extends to home use simply because of how my studies and research bleed back and forth between work. I can't afford to be "that guy" that people roll their eyes at because they only have LO, Google Docs, or the iWork suite.

If I really had my way, every research document would be entirely in Latex and I'd have total control over formatting. But I work with engineers and professors who will only work with and accept Office docs.

I get that a lot of engineering houses have switched to Google Docs and it works internally for them. More power to em. I'm also a communicator and have to assume some kind of smooth standard. Office remains *the* standard so I'm sticking with it.

So there's that. Then there's OneNote and Outlook which… sigh. I'm just in love. I've tried EverNote and it can honestly bite me the way its assumptions and workflow happen.

I also use the OneDrive 1TB subscription as a partial online repository for several work and personal things. Between that and DropBox I'm pretty set.

The end result is a clean Win10 installation and just like the upgrade, you're never asked for a license key. I'm not clear how this works, but I've read online that when you previously upgraded to Win10, MS tracks your computer hardware and already has you validated for Win10 on that machine should you subsequently need to reinstall the o/s.
Yeah, that's how it's supposed to work, you do the upgrade once, then you'll be able to do full installs on that same computer later on that will automagically activate themselves cause you're already in the database. If you have issues with your upgrade (or a full re-install later on the same computer) you can call in to Microsoft support and they will usually end up providing you with a real Windows 10 product key that's associated with your upgrade license, which is nice to have.

Not really. For an engineer/student/developer/researcher I need to communicate with a lot of people and Open/Libre-Office will take care of formatting about 80-90% of the time. That other 10-20% means lost time, confusion, and poor impressions. It's a basic expectation to get office documents to look and work right *all the time*. And this extends to home use simply because of how my studies and research bleed back and forth between work. I can't afford to be "that guy" that people roll their eyes at because they only have LO, Google Docs, or the iWork suite.

If I really had my way, every research document would be entirely in Latex and I'd have total control over formatting. But I work with engineers and professors who will only work with and accept Office docs.

I get that a lot of engineering houses have switched to Google Docs and it works internally for them. More power to em. I'm also a communicator and have to assume some kind of smooth standard. Office remains *the* standard so I'm sticking with it.

So there's that. Then there's OneNote and Outlook which… sigh. I'm just in love. I've tried EverNote and it can honestly bite me the way its assumptions and workflow happen.

I also use the OneDrive 1TB subscription as a partial online repository for several work and personal things. Between that and DropBox I'm pretty set.

You still name work related stuffs :) I agree with you that for work MS Office might be much more convinient because of industry standard, same thing for Outlook.

Well, to me and my family Office 365 is fine. I have it installed on 2 computers, my wife has it on hers.

And my daughter has it on her laptop and her iPad. She used both installations for her master-thesis, bringing the pad with her to University, and using the laptop when at home (and the cloud for syncing them).

All in all, for this package, it's good value for the money methinks. If you you're in a family. Not as good if you will be the only user, of course, but for families I think it's a good deal, and certainly not a scam.

Why MS Office in stead of free word processors? Because I've been using it for a looong time, and the wife and I both use Office at work. So I'm used to Office and I don't bother switching to a new program, it's not worth the price difference.

pibbur who, given his weight at release 61, some might consider him an example of bloatware. (Fortunately far less likely now than 5 months ago)

- Daddy, why are programs like MS Word called word processors?
- Son, you've seen a food processor. And you've seen what it does to food.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom