Wizardry - Renaissance in Japan

Dhruin

SasqWatch
To my (limited) knowledge, the Wizardry series has always been popular in Japan with a host of console games we don't see in the West, although I'm not sure how much resemblance some of the games have to Sir-Tech's material. Anyway, the Japanese company that bought the IP from Sir-Tech in 2006 is planning a "renaissance" according to 1Up:
"The goal is to stage a renaissance for the renowned Wizardry name," said IPM producer Takeshi Iwahara in an interview with Famitsu magazine. "There will be new titles, and two different developers are working on games for the Nintendo DS and PlayStation 3."
These console titles are only part of the so-called "Wizardry Renaissance," though. Gamepot itself is working on Wizardry Online, a PC title that may or may not be an MMO, and Wizardry Zeo, an original manga based on the series, is set to debut September 9 in Japan.
Thanks Ubbax and apologies to the other contributor whose submission I lost.
More information.

I'm willing to bet this never gets released in english, and if so...if you want renaisance why pick the ps3 as the platform of choice?

I have been unwilling to pay the import prices for the DS games ... sadly I agree these will not see an English release

aa, wait a moment? Gamespot is working on making wizardry online ??? and wizardry zeo? I thought gamespot was just a website to review games :S

My feeling tells mme this won't have much to do with the original IP.
The Wizardry there has - as I suspect - already developed into an entirely different IP, with only the name being kind of a bracket to both.

I wonder if this is why GOG.COM hasn't been able to offer the old Wizardry games for sale yet, but they had the Jagged Alliance games as launch titles.

I wonder if this is why GOG.COM hasn't been able to offer the old Wizardry games for sale yet, but they had the Jagged Alliance games as launch titles.

That actually makes a lot of sense.

since DW Bradley had took it in his direction you could say its 3 IP's.

I wonder what the real legality of ownership is having read a few summaries of the legal opinions of courts in a few of the cases.

Sir Tech had sold Sir Tech Canada the rights for $50k when both companies were under the same management. The Bankruptcy court gave a settlement to Andrew Greenberg but I'm not sure it gives away the ownership of the IP when it wasn't there's to give away in the first place simply by accepting remuneration.

Maybe I'll ask Greenberg himself. He's a lawyer now.

I never really got into the older titles, but Wiz 8 is one of my all time favorite crpgs.

It's sad to know that Wizardry, as we remember it, is most likely dead and gone.

Let's just wait and see what they're up to - one never knows, heh. *humming the beautiful theme by Mike Alsop*

There has actually been 2 japanese Wizardry titles translated to english with Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land the only one I could get ahold of. I haven't really played it yet but if it is anything like the Kings Field series it definetly is in the same style and difficulty level as older Wizardry titles.

There has actually been 2 japanese Wizardry titles translated to english with Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land the only one I could get ahold of. I haven't really played it yet but if it is anything like the Kings Field series it definetly is in the same style and difficulty level as older Wizardry titles.

It's not really like the King's Field series, I used to be a big fan of those games during the PS1 days. TotFL is completely turn-based, not real time like KF. They do share some similarities in having very atmospheric BGM though.

What was the other Japanese title that was translated?

I can't find the information now so maybe it never got released or I just can't find it now.

Back
Top Bottom