38 Studios - Last Remaining Assets Auction

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Seems the last remaining assets of 38 Studios are being auctioned off once again on March 23, and 24. A site called Game Politics has all the new information.

The last remaining worldly goods of former all-star Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling's bankrupt 38 Studios are heading to the auction block, according to this NBC 10 News report. The warehouse full of goods from Curt Schilling's video game company will be sold at auction next week by SJ Corio Co.

There will be 1,100 items up for sale including servers, blade centers, disk arrays, Ethernet cables, computer monitors, Dell computer systems, video cards, software, cameras, office furniture, and a whole lot more.

The public is welcome to attend. A viewing of all the items for sale will take place March 23 and 24 from 10am - 3pm, and at 9:00 AM on the morning of the big auction.

The auction will take place Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:00 am at the Sheraton Conference Center (1850 Post Rd) in Warwick, Rhode Island.

38 Studios went bankrupt in 2012 and left the state of Rhode Island on the hook for a $75 million bond (plus associated interest and penalties). The bankruptcy and subsequent debt has been a contentious issues that still effects investment and tax incentive policies in the state.
More information.

What a waste; one thing is you never want to wait to auction off electronics; shelf value is very short and most of the stuff 'cept maybe the monitors is junk by now.

What a waste; one thing is you never want to wait to auction off electronics; shelf value is very short and most of the stuff 'cept maybe the monitors is junk by now.

Agreed, the taxpayers were already furious, they should be triple furious for the state sitting on those assets for so long.

I wish they would just put this out of it's misery...I had high hopes for these guys.

Did anybody ever buy the IP? It would be interesting if another company developed a new Amular game.

Did anybody ever buy the IP? It would be interesting if another company developed a new Amular game.
They sold off 38 Studios IP's two years ago, and no bidder was wiling to pay enough.

Link - http://www.gamespot.com/articles/38...doms-of-amalur-reckoning-sequel/1100-6416719/
Link - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/12/16/nobody-wants-poor-old-kingdoms-of-amalur-sniff/
Link - http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/13/amalur-ip-remains-unsold-after-38-studios-auction

Blame Rhode Island for asking way to much for the IP.

Huh. So now what? It just sits in a vault in Rhode Island's dungeon, guarded by a zombie Curt Schilling?

Seems like a waste, to me. I wasn't crazy about the world or lore, but there is enough there that someone could at least make something out of it.

Huh. So now what? It just sits in a vault in Rhode Island's dungeon, guarded by a zombie Curt Schilling?

Seems like a waste, to me. I wasn't crazy about the world or lore, but there is enough there that someone could at least make something out of it.
Yep at this time it's basically a dead IP since the government wont sell it cheaply.:disappointed:

If Rhode Island was being smart they would sell it, and make back some of the money they lost investing in Curt Curt Schilling's company a few years back.

Then again when has a government ever been reasonable, or smart with money.

Last edited:
So silly to sit on it...now they will get way less then they ever would have before.

Yeah, a friend told me that when he went bankrupt after his divorce and his assets were liquidated, he was asked how old his computer was. He said it was 18 months old, and the guy laughed and said to forget it and just keep it, because it was unsellable. They didn't even want to seize it.

And of course a terrible IP with puerile, generic lore and gameplay and equally terrible art directly copied from WoW are now deemed to be completely useless by the market. As they should.

The problem is that it is already so uninspired and utterly forgettable to begin with that if some company wanted to make such a game, just why would they buy this IP instead of just creating their own? It's just laughable.

Sorry but I have to ask do you like any modern day RPG game I post about Humanity has risen? I only ask this because based on your daily posts I would say you do not.

To put is bluntly you criticize everything, and never say anything nice.^^

(PS: No offense meant just very curious.)

Absolutely, there are quite a few I can name: Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Lords of Xulima, Dead State, Might & Magic X, Eschalon, Dragon Age Inquisition (to a lesser extent) and among those I look forward to: Underworld, Bloodborne, Pillars of Eternity, Swords and Sorcery: Sovereign and Age of Decadence.

The thing though is probably I have extremely little time to play anything these times around, so it probably looks like I only come here to complain.

Now you might point to my Codex roots, which I might agree to a point, but I think it's important to be very critical of what you pay your hard-earned money for, and situations where people are trying too hard to "woo" you with what might be gimmicks.

I really did play Amalur and didn't find it compelling at all. It looked like a project where they had absolutely no idea of what they wanted to do, and I found it very repetitive and easy and the lore not interesting. It played more like God of War lite than what an RPG is supposed to be like IMO.

Thanks for the reply Humanity has risen it puts your daily replies in perspective.:)

Last edited:
Maybe worth mentioning that 38 Studios didn't make Kingdoms of Amalur - they bought it from Big Huge Games, to give them something to release while they worked on their doomed mega project. They tinkered with it a bit to fit in their universe.

The thing is that Big Huge Games wanted to make a Fable like kind of game, so a simplistic action RPG, which I think still shows, and they had Ken Rolston as their designer, who had such brilliant ideas as Oblivion's level scaling. Also 38 Studios brought along R.A. Salvatore and Todd McFarlane to establish their lore and art, so this is why we got this awkward "edgy" dark fantasy universe.

Why do you say he is divorced? Anyway ....

Yeah, a friend told me that when he went bankrupt after his divorce and his assets were liquidated, he was asked how old his computer was. He said it was 18 months old, and the guy laughed and said to forget it and just keep it, because it was unsellable. They didn't even want to seize it.

And of course a terrible IP with puerile, generic lore and gameplay and equally terrible art directly copied from WoW are now deemed to be completely useless by the market. As they should.

The problem is that it is already so uninspired and utterly forgettable to begin with that if some company wanted to make such a game, just why would they buy this IP instead of just creating their own? It's just laughable.

I don't know, I had fun with it.
Humanity. Every game you use as an example is either turn based or real
time with pause. Have you ever even played an action rpg? Games dont have to belong to that genre to be rpg or to be fun for that matter. He went out of business because he went nuts with the checkbook. I read a lot of those people who worked there said it was a great job. Until the party was over.

Back
Top Bottom