Risen - Online Options

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A variety of online options are available for those interested in getting Risen via digital delivery:
  • Steam are offering 10% off
  • GamersGate
  • Deep Silver store promise "high speed download available to play on 2 October from 00:01 hours"
Also, grab the manual from Steam here.
Thanks to Donald for the Steam tip.
More information.

Reading the manual right now. Very interesting, thanks!

Edit: Finished reading the manual. It really does seem like an old Gothic, with a hint of G3 sprinkled on top (the good parts). Now to decide which faction to join when first trying it (Bandits, Mages or Inquisition). It will probably depend on how much I like the factions when meeting them in the game, but I suspect it will be Bandits -> Mages -> Inquisition or Mages -> Bandits -> Inquisition for me.

Last edited:
The Steam 10% off sale is tempting ... but this really seems like one I want the physical copy of.

Pricing of download vs physical

I don't understand the pricing differences:

Steam (incl 10% off): 45 euro
Gamersgate: 50 euro
Deep silver: 35 GBP, which would be about 38 euro, however in euros the quoted price is 50 euro.

Now look at play.com: 32.50 euro.

Surely digital distribution should be cheaper than mailing an actual DVD? It seems like a lot to pay to get the game a few days earlier!

Surely digital distribution should be cheaper than mailing an actual DVD? It seems like a lot to pay to get the game a few days earlier!

Retailers have made sure that DD can't be ANY cheaper than store prices ... but some places do have sales.

Retail shelf space is
(a) limited (->masses of products) and
(b) valuable (->still 80-90% of the revenue are made at retail).

The big retailers are making sure the publishers don't offer their games cheaper as DL than retail.

No steam for me, EVER !
Bought the game for 41 euro and that INCLUDES a hardcopy and a DVDbox with a printed manual. So why ever use steam, its more expensive and there is no box and dvd.

The first retail copy surfaced. Some guy from the NL picked it up at his local store.

No steam for me, EVER !
Bought the game for 41 euro and that INCLUDES a hardcopy and a DVDbox with a printed manual. So why ever use steam, its more expensive and there is no box and dvd.

I actually pay more for a steam game so I *don't* have to have a box. I used to love having boxes, but once I bought a couple of steam games and never had to worry about finding a game disc, or downloading a patch, I was addicted.

I've actually started buying games on Steam that I already have on disc. I just love the convenience.

Plus I'm doing my thing for the environment by not creating more waste.

Steam is usually 30-50% more expensive, but its nice that you dont have to put in the disc or use cracks, and its really nice to have the game within 1 hour or so. I wish the prices could go down at least 20% or so on Steam :/

Steam is usually 30-50% more expensive, but its nice that you dont have to put in the disc or use cracks, and its really nice to have the game within 1 hour or so. I wish the prices could go down at least 20% or so on Steam :/

Where are you at? In the US the price is *identical* to retail.

That's been a big one for me, Melvil. But then, I've also gone to the local store on release day and found nothing - either they sold out, didn't get the shipment, or just haven't bothered to open the crate yet. But then, I can get to the local store and back, picking up Bar-BQ along the way faster than Steam can push out a big game. But then, I've been burned because I lost/damaged my physical disk, too (my poor Oblivion is gone!!). But then, what happens if Steam goes dark? But then, the stores are going to charge me taxes. But then, what if my computer melts and I lose my steam username/password?

Man, I haven't even gotten the game and I'm already being hit with a no-clear-choice decision!

It doesn't matter if Steam goes dark, because Steam supports offline play and I have all of my games installed.

If your computer melts, you should have a backup. I have a hell of a lot of data on my machine, not just Steam games. So everything is constantly backed up.

There's no difference between your computer or your DVD's melting in a fire. So that's not really a valid reason to not go digital.

Last edited:
The Steam 10% off sale is tempting … but this really seems like one I want the physical copy of.

I agree. I don't mind buying certain games digitally. But the 'BIG' rpgs I look forward to need to be in a box, with a physical disc and manual.

Now that we have GoG, you can download an inexpensive, drm free version of the game probably in a few years and have both hard copy of the game and digital.

The manual is pretty good so far. It seems like PB has really upped their 'polish' game. A lot of little deatails are well explained in the manual. A far cry difference from a lot of unexplained 'how to' deatils from their earlier games (like, ok I'm a bloodfly, how do I become myself again).

Have a good feeling this higher level of polish will be in the finished game as well. Typically, manuals that 'feel' rushed reflect a game that also 'feels' rushed.

It doesn't matter if Steam goes dark, because Steam supports offline play and I have all of my games installed.

If your computer melts, you should have a backup. I have a hell of a lot of data on my machine, not just Steam games. So everything is constantly backed up.

There's no difference between your computer or your DVD's melting in a fire. So that's not really a valid reason to not go digital.

While that is true, the problem (for me) of steam is that you are required to run the Steam client no matter what. And playing a game with Steam client in offline mode is a hassle.

I tend to prefer to wait a bit for a game to show up on either Impulse or Gamersgate.

That is just me though, like I posted in another thread about digital download services. If you are into facebook, myspace and twitts every chance you get, you will prefer Steam over the other DD options.

Edit: btw, gogamer has the game for $39.99 but their release date for Risen is wacked...

While that is true, the problem (for me) of steam is that you are required to run the Steam client no matter what. And playing a game with Steam client in offline mode is a hassle.

I agree. And further, steam in this regard is really attempting a paradigm shift for evolving its service for the future. There is no real reason to be tethered to the internet to play a single player game. Yet, steam would have you belive otherwise.

I don't think I'll ever like the idea of being tethered to the internet to run games or applications. Sadly, this is the direction things continuley seem to be going.

Back
Top Bottom