Skyrim - Special Edition Released

Why not compare Witcher and Skyrim ?

Witcher is fine, but it is more like movie. You've seen it once and that's enough.
Skyrim has much higher replay value because exploration in Elder Scrolls was always much more important than main plot.
On my PC performance of Witcher is bad, while performance of Fallout 4 (and of course Skyrim) is good.
Gerald's movement through the environment is not smooth enough. How many barrels and trees hindered Gerald's way without any good reason for it? And the most funniest thing that I will never forget is when Gerald jumps over his head ascending or descending very dangerous steps in royal palace, what an idiot :)

Jokes aside, both games are good. I hope that we'll get TES 6 soon.

Last edited:
Witcher is fine, but it is more like movie. You've seen it once and that's enough.
Skyrim has much higher replay value because exploration in Elder Scrolls was always much more important.

Ok, I agree with you on the exploration is important part. But why on earth would that increase REPLAY value? Play value yes, more hours yes. But it's still the same world if you replay?

To me replay value is higher if there's alot of C&C and different character builds for example. Which Skyrim has only to a very limited degree, since your character can be pretty much everything and choices that effect the story or world are few.

I'm not trying to bash Skyrim, although not one of my favourites I can understand perfectly why some love it. I played vanilla on release and certainly had no game breaking bugs, unless you count level and loot scaling? But they're insisting those are "features". ;)

I'm not trying to praise W3 either, because I haven't played it yet.

Ok, I agree with you on the exploration is important part. But why on earth would that increase REPLAY value? Play value yes, more hours yes. But it's still the same world if you replay?

The AI allows for a completely different experience on a new playthrough. I've even loaded a savegame and encountered a completely different event a couple minutes after loading. Although, i'd argue Oblivion was more fun for this (like the time I saw a random mage chase down a pack of wolves, launching fireballs at them for 2 hours straight in the middle of a forest).

Really, i'm seeing extremes in this thread from both sides. In the end the point is, some love the game, and a few posts in a forum isn't going to change their mind. And on the other side, the game just isn't for them, and no amount of sunshine will change their mind. Right??

Just checked out the new Nexus site and seems I was correct, As most of my mods are not compatible. Seems I'll wait a while as I said above to replay the new version.

Others might say the vanilla enhanced version is fine but I need the expanded towns and village mods. The armor overhauls for the Imperial/Nords where a must also.

More people have played Minecraft than Skyrim, yet I don't see nearly as many people talking about bugs. :)

Also, since Minecraft has sold more copies than Skyrim, I guess it's safe to deduce that it's a superior game. ;)

Maybe. Unlike TW3, I've never played Minecraft. It might be great. It wasn't compared by others earlier in the thread, yet TW3 was.

P.S. I didn't spend a dime on the SE, just for clarity.

Eh….

Bethesda is a known entity in North America. Just like Blizzard, over a decade's worth of marketing hype achieves its purpose and breeds a generation of clueless consumers who don't really research options beyond what company XYZ ladles into their plate.

I'm sure you're a legend in your own mind, Drithius. Everyone who doesn't think like you do is a clueless consumer, while you are a paragon of breeding and thinking. That has to be one of the funniest jokes I've ever read, but you posted it in the wrong thread.
I'm sure you compare well to the others in your asylum. :D

The AI allows for a completely different experience on a new playthrough. I've even loaded a savegame and encountered a completely different event a couple minutes after loading.
You're kidding right?

Although, i'd argue Oblivion was more fun for this (like the time I saw a random mage chase down a pack of wolves, launching fireballs at them for 2 hours straight in the middle of a forest).
And your PC stood there for 2 straight hours observing them? Man, your PC is a weirdo! :)

The only things which increase Skyrim's replay value are mods

To be fair, the Radiant AI does allow for a greater variety of behavior than what's in most games.

Unfortunately, it's not always good. Sometimes it can do just as much to break the immersion as add to it.

To be fair, the Radiant AI does allow for a greater variety of behavior than what's in most games.

Unfortunately, it's not always good. Sometimes it can do just as much to break the immersion as add to it.

I think he's talking about encounters..and yes, it's both pro and con.

Remember in Fallout III, some woman appeared right in middle of mutant/deathclaws zone filled to give me some book or something( for all of my heroic deeds, although I did nuke a city :p), completely unarmed, like she dropped straight from the sky. And same thing happened way too often in Fallout IV and Skyrim.
Makes Bethesda worlds by far most interesting to explore interesting at first, but in long run, it becomes an amusement park.
The kind where you've seen all it's tricks, but it just keeps on repeating them.

You're kidding right?

And your PC stood there for 2 straight hours observing them? Man, your PC is a weirdo! :)

The only things which increase Skyrim's replay value are mods

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

To be even fairer :)P), Radiant AI in its full radiance was never really seen in a Bethesda game yet. They had to remove most of the system before launching Oblivion and Skyrim does not really have it to the extent it was talked about years ago.

I remember talks about Skyrim was going to have an entire "Radiant Economy", with farmers supplying food, trade routes, etc. It likely had to be scrapped just like Oblivion's Radiant AI.

The games are still fun, though. I love walking around Imperial City and chatting with folks. :) Elder Scrolls games need more large cities like Imperial City, IMO.

For keen modders, keep an eye on the new StepperUpper project on the Step forums.

Essentially, it automates the process of setting up the massive Step mod overhaul. You still have to download the long list of mods, because the Nexus understandably doesn't want utilities auto downloading from their servers. Once that's done, though, this utility takes care of all the complicated configuration, with just a few manual tasks left to do.

As I say, it's brand new, and there's no easy user guide yet, but hopefully it will make high end modded setups available to sane people that can't be bothered with all the technical work.
This is like the best thing ever, I'm quite surprised I never encountered it anywhere else before.

Just checked out the new Nexus site and seems I was correct, As most of my mods are not compatible. Seems I'll wait a while as I said above to replay the new version.

Others might say the vanilla enhanced version is fine but I need the expanded towns and village mods. The armor overhauls for the Imperial/Nords where a must also.

I prefer not to play until there is a decent UI, unfortunately the team behind SKYUI have moved on.

The SE version didn't cost me a dime, but I still don't understand why Bethesda is so uninterested in differentiating the UI for PC from the console versions?
Is it a corporate decision that all platforms should be as similar as possible?
any official word?

Second, why not incorporating the bugfixes?

I have really been looking forward to this for months with the intention of doing a full playthrough. I guess I will have to find the strength of will to wait until they have managed to get a new SKSE at least, and I think that will take months.

C

I prefer not to play until there is a decent UI, unfortunately the team behind SKYUI have moved on.

C

SkyUI is efficient but I think for future UIs, RPGs need to go "back" to immersive UIs. Efficiency and function is good, but style and feel is more immersive.

In other words, enough with the plain UIs that aren't that imaginative or look like computer software programs. Risen 1 had a good one. Make maps look like real maps, quest journal look like a weathered book, etc. Keep the player in game when looting, etc.

I did think the Perk Chart in Skyrim was pretty cool, though. The rest of the UI is too basic and gamey, IMO.

SkyUI is efficient but I think for future UIs, RPGs need to go "back" to immersive UIs. Efficiency and function is good, but style and feel is more immersive.

Valid point about the immersion factor, its a balancing act between that and ease of use.
the MCM part is important anyway.

C

There are only two mods I used with Skyrim. One is no_respawn.
Another is SkyUI:
https://techraptor.net/content/skyui-not-in-the-works-for-skyrim-special-edition
as Skyrim Special Edition released, the developer behind SkyUI made clear there is no interest in porting it to the new 64-bit version of Skyrim.

Without those two mods I'd never be accept the torture to complete that game.
I mean, aren't these enough reason to refuse playing the game without SkyUI:

SkyUI-Not-In-The-Works-for-Skyrim-Special-Edition-inventory.jpg

SkyUI-Not-In-The-Works-for-Skyrim-Special-Edition-favorites.jpg

What immersion are we talking about? I was immersed in hundreds of RPGs… Story. Skyrim has no story to immerse into.

Back
Top Bottom