Your top underrated games

The more I play Mafia 3 - the more I think it's highly underrated. Sure, it has some serious flaws in structural terms - but the actual storytelling is superb. At least, so far.

Seen AJ review on it. Repetitive, repetitive. Not sure if it contains carracing, but even if it doesn't, such game can't be underrated.

There's some cool games in these posts. Some I agree with, some I don't.

The company I think often gets overlooked is Kalypso Media. Their games aren't earth shattering but they often provide a good gaming experience. Some recent titles from them include such things as Rise of Venice, Grand Ages Rome and Grand Ages Medieval, Tropico 5 and a load of other stuff.

If I were to list one here it would be Ultima IX, yes you heard me, Ultima 9. Yes that one.

I really enjoyed it, the atmosphere especially. I still remember one part of it being very touching and it was the kind of game where looking back at it after finishing it felt very satisfying. Though I could not care less about anything pirate related in it.

-The Bard's Tale (2004) is not a popular game here and I can totally understand how this game would offend orginal bard's tale fans. I myself have never played the orginals, so I didn't mind playing this casual action rpg. It had some of the funniest dialogs i've ever heard in a videogame. The game really pokes fun of all the traditional fantasy and rpg tropes/cliches. And the narrator in that game deserves an emmy or something as he keeps mocking the main character constantly.

I loved that game. It was such a blast and completely hysterical to play. That before even considering the songs in it.

I can't stand poems or songs unless they're good, in anything be it games or books. Though I remember having lots of laughs at the songs in The Bard's Tale.

The gameplay I don't remember so much, though countless laughs, and also amusement at abounding annoying alliteration.

edit.
RIP, the voice of Tony Jay.

Of Orcs and Men - Yes the maps are small, it's super linear, lacks C&C, and the super slow motion rather than RTwP is annoying, but I loved the story. I wish Cyanide would stop using the IP for stealth games and let Spiders make another RPG.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3! Most under-rated game in town. 54% on steam. 5.5 user scor on metacritic.

Reminds me of Diablo3 with its 4.0 user score - both are arguably the best in their genre

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 3! Most under-rated game in town. 54% on steam. 5.5 user scor on metacritic.

Reminds me of Diablo3 with its 4.0 user score - both are arguably the best in their genre

Really? I've been looking into it - but people are calling it a MOBA - and I despise MOBAs.

What's so good about it?

The good thing is it's not MOBA. I mean, the good thing for you. For me, no, I can't stand MMOs in general, if I'll try something then at least it has to be MOBA.

Some good ones in here. I'll see your Silent Storm, Freedom Force, Dead State and Oblivion (no Codex nonsense here) and raise you Dominions 4 and X-COM Apocalypse.

Some good ones in here. I'll see your Silent Storm, Freedom Force, Dead State and Oblivion (no Codex nonsense here) and raise you Dominions 4 and X-COM Apocalypse.

You seem to have a completely different understanding of the word underrated than I do.

I recently saw a couple youtube videos by ZiggyD of DoW3. It looks like so much fun! Similar to DoW that I had hundreds of hours of fun with.

You seem to have a completely different understanding of the word underrated than I do.

I would say Dominions 4 is little known in the 4x genre, and Apocalypse is almost never mentioned when people talk about X-COM.

I mentioned it on an Ultima thread, but I'm agreeing with Watchtower on Ultima IX.

Not a perfect game but a good game, and technologically ahead of its time.

To come up with an open world engine that includes physics and the ability to enter cities and buildings without a load screen, an engine that could rival Skyrim's (I'm just referring to the engine's abilities here) and to do it in 1999, three years before Morrowind, was amazing.

Eador:MOTBW and UFO:Afterlight. Both great although somewhat flawed games. I have actually also played through MM9 two times and enjoyed both of them…

Space Rangers 2. Although that one might not be underrated per se, but since no games have copied that awesome formula I presume it never got quite the attention it deserved.

Last edited:
Eador:MOTBW and UFO:Cyberlight. Both great although somewhat flawed games. I have actually also played through MM9 two times and enjoyed both of them…

Space Rangers 2. Although that one might not be underrated per se, but since no games have copied that awesome formula I presume it never got quite the attention it deserved.

Don't you mean UFO:Afterlight? :)

Back
Top Bottom