Starcraft 2 - Paid Mods Introduced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Eurogamer reported on Starcraft 2 introducing paid mods.

StarCraft 2 becomes a tactical turn-based RPG with the introduction of paid mods

Pro-mods.

Blizzard has jumped into the thorny issue of paid mods with its real-time strategy game StarCraft 2.

Two premium Arcade maps will soon be available to buy: ARK Star and Direct Strike, each costing $4.99 with a share of the sales going to the creators.

ARK Star, by Daniel "Pirate" Altman, follows the adventures of the Sol Seekers, an elite team of templar on a mission to find and destroy a weapon known as the ARK Star.

You can find and craft new equipment, level up and unlock new talents and abilities. And the combat is tactical and turn-based. Check it out in the video below.

[..]
More information.

Blizzard will never forgive itself for not being ones to monetize MOBA first and then LOL became one of most profitable entertainment products of all time.

Here's hope these paid Starcraft2 mods, or paid maps, will have enough courage not to beat the dead horse but to spawn another new genre.

The issue of paid mods aside, I will say the TBS mod `ARK Star` looks kinda interesting. I haven't played Starcraft since its original launch. I'm almost tempted to thy that mod though...

Meh moving on as Blizzard is dead to me. RIP I'll always remember Blizzard North.:happycry:

Last really fun game was warcraft ii; played a little warcraft 3 and a few minutes of starcraft 2 but could never really get into either. I think (for myself) the age of blizzard is over.

Last really fun game was warcraft ii; played a little warcraft 3 and a few minutes of starcraft 2 but could never really get into either. I think (for myself) the age of blizzard is over.

Warcraft 2 was before Starcraft which, imo, was their best game by far.

As soon as Blizzard went MMO I lost interest.

Rant incoming…
The single player RPG market was sucked into the wake of World of Warcraft both in terms of market share and design orthordoxy from the entire industry. Every imitator designing an MMO could of been making an amazing single player game. Even the single player RPG games remaining aped World of Warcraft in design and graphics with some notable exceptions like Obsidian. They weren't great but they were different.

Then came Pillars of Eternity. A spiritual successor game based on a different school of design. It would be a great return to gameplay not influenced by WoW except…
…that ended up imitating 4th edition D&D which in turn had been influenced by WoW.

The suck of this being the case, despite me explicitly backing to avoid another WoW design, was so strong it really hammered home some truths about the game industry. They do not have enough outside interests. The early designers were inspired by experiences not born of gaming like teaching, playing jazz, mountaineering etc. The new designers seem to be motivated only to replicate popular games. I wonder how many battle royale clones we will be getting and how many potential good games will be getting stuffed in the process to fit this design.

Its taken an awful long time for game designers to find their own or at least other inspirations than WoW. If they would so kindly not be so trend driven that would be good.

(…)

Then came Pillars of Eternity. A spiritual successor game based on a different school of design. It would be a great return to gameplay not influenced by WoW except…
…that ended up imitating 4th edition D&D which in turn had been influenced by WoW.

On a completely unrelated note, that's why I got straight from D&D 3/3.5 Ed to D&D 5th Ed, thus skipping 4th Ed entirely. Some friends who played 4th Ed told me the classes and the classes features were all heavily MMO-influenced. 5th Ed seems to have corrected this, and I recommend it to all D&D players around here. :)

On a completely unrelated note, that's why I got straight from D&D 3/3.5 Ed to D&D 5th Ed, thus jumping over 4th Ed completely. Some friends who played 4th Ed told me the classes and the classes features were all heavily MMO-influenced. 5th Ed seems to have corrected this, and I recommend it to all D&D players around here. :)

Meh, 2nd edition fans said similar things about 3rd edition when it was new and they were angry about the changes. Fourth edition had strengths and weaknesses just like every other version of D&D and there are plenty of good reasons why someone might like or dislike it. But the whole video game influence thing is just part of the same excuse that fans of the previous edition use in every edition war.

The competitive scene must be funded now there is no longer SP scheme to do the trick.

Back
Top Bottom