Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Releasing February 4th 2021

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@Gematsu Werewolf: The Apocalypse will release February 4th 2021. In addition a new gameplay trailer has been released.

Werewolf: The Apocalypse - Earthblood will launch for PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X, PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC via the Epic Games Store on February 4, 2021, publisher Nacon and developer Cyanide Studio.

[...]

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Man I hope this game is good. Also love the biker/metal music influence.:fingerscrossed:

Not quite sure what to think about this title, since I have no previous familiarity with the i.p.

Two things stand out to me; one, that it seems to be very heavily action oriented, not sure how much of an rpg it actually is, and two, that you are apparently playing as some kind of "eco-warrior"?…"Greenwar instead of Greenpeace"?, a role that I don't find very attractive. :-/

Not quite sure what to think about this title, since I have no previous familiarity with the i.p.

Two things stand out to me; one, that it seems to be very heavily action oriented, not sure how much of an rpg it actually is, and two, that you are apparently playing as some kind of "eco-warrior"?…"Greenwar instead of Greenpeace"?, a role that I don't find very attractive. :-/

Actually quite interesting. I checked the wikipedia page and yeah, it directly calls the protagonist "Eco-Terrorist"
in which the player takes the role of an eco-terrorist werewolf

It sounds like the world is somewhat open though:
The player explores various areas in the American Northwest, in the form of large hub worlds. Within these areas, the player plays through missions, which may have effects on the game world, including leading to secondary missions getting unlocked. The player also goes to Penumbra, a place between the physical world and the spirit world, where they can receive sidequests or challenges from the Great Spirit of the Waterfall, who gives the player rewards for completing them, such as opening shortcuts between areas

The gameplay sounds somewhat interesting though, it sounds like we are not the glorious hero on his holy task to save the world no matter the means, but it sounds like we are in some kind of dilemma, needing to restrict ourselve to not cause too much harm, killing innocents.
The werewolf is a shapeshifter, and can take on the forms of a wolf and a human in addition to his werewolf form. Each form has its own gameplay mechanics tied to it: the wolf form is used for exploration, tracking, spying, and stealth, as well as being able to pass through narrow passages; the human form is used for interactions, such as using machines and conversing with people; and the werewolf form is used for combat. When in the human form, other characters are not aware that the player character really is a werewolf, allowing the player to go undercover. The player develops the werewolf through a skill tree, where they can choose between different archetypes connected to different weaknesses and strengths. The player also has access to various supernatural power-ups, which are drawn from nature.

The gameplay involves management of the player character's rage: the werewolf's rage rises as he learns about problems humans have caused, such as pollution and greed. If the player lets the werewolf's rage overflow, the werewolf will enter a frenzy state and turn into a violent, monstrous beast. When in the frenzy state, the werewolf is more powerful, but also finds it more difficult to parse information, such as whether a character is an enemy or an innocent, and will draw the attention of enemies. Once in the frenzy state, the only way to break out of it is to kill all who are present, regardless of if they are enemies or not

So all in all, it depends a lot on the presentation, but I am quite intrigued by the somewhat exotic setting.

I mean... the setting may be a bit too close to reality for comfort... but otherwise: the whole eco-warrior / eco-terrorist thing is not a new theme at all. Not necessarily as the main theme, but at least as a topic to cover. I think even Baldurs Gate (2?) had a dip into that topic. Violent Druids and all that stuff. ;)

I mean… the setting may be a bit too close to reality for comfort… but otherwise: the whole eco-warrior / eco-terrorist thing is not a new theme at all. Not necessarily as the main theme, but at least as a topic to cover. I think even Baldurs Gate (2?) had a dip into that topic. Violent Druids and all that stuff. ;)

But it's always a different thing if you are actually playing the terrorist. ^^

I played Vampire a lot, and have a little experience with the Werewolf I.P. One of my players had the Werewolf book, and played a werewolf in our vampire campaign. If I remember correctly the enemy of werewolves is a corrupting entity called the Wyrm. The Wyrm is sort of an evil spirit that often manipulates people to damage nature in order to strengthen itself. Werewolves try to stop the Wyrm's corrupting influence, which often would make them "eco-terrorists" in the eyes of ordinary people, since they are destroying factories or research institutes, from which the Wyrm is trying to spread its corruption.

Yeah. The only reason I am interested in this is the WhiteWolf IP. Will probably give this more thought near the time of its release. In our Vampire campaign, of admittedly decades back, the GM would have the vampire players and the werewolf players in separate games, with cross overs. I played a late generation Ventrue vampire trying to give a werewolf player character doggie biscuits, for humour value mostly, at the behest of elders. Probably being sent to my death. Tried to direct their actions to more productive targets. It didn't work out well. In WhiteWolf the vampires are sort of more weasley while the werewolves were combat machines….

Man, that music is metal with Maori lyrics. I swear, thats how it sounds to me. I mean, I wouldn't listen to it for pleasure per se but it does fit the setting and themes of the game. I wonder how far they go with it.

Last edited:
The setting and premise sound pretty cool to me, but everything I've seen so far makes this look like it's just an action game with some RPG elements. I'm curious how impactful dialogue, C&C, character building, etc will be.

Back
Top Bottom