Cyberpunk 2077 - Progressing as Planned

Who cares when what started, really. Every game is different and every team is different.

Why must everything be a competition?

Both of these games are obviously very ambitious. Instead of pitting them against each other - we should be praising the boldness, I think.

While I won't kid anyone and pretend that I think Cyberpunk will match Star Citizen in terms of pleasing me - it has a ton of potential and could well end up being a fantastic game.

I would MUCH rather have developers with vision taking chances - than going the safe way of repeating themselves every 2 years.

Ok, so I didn't think Witcher 3 was a masterpiece - but it was clearly made with passion and talent.

Not all games can be everything for everyone.

Gwent a hundred devs? Really?

I know.

I was surprised when I read people say that and looked around. It comes from CDPR investors call in 2016 apparently (the game haven't released yet and isn't feature complete so I doubt it changed). I also learned that Gwent is going to get a single player campaign with choice&consequences.

The ~300 devs on Cyberpunk is also coming from investors call by the way (but from 2017).

W
Ok, so I didn't think Witcher 3 was a masterpiece - but it was clearly made with passion and talent.

Not all games can be everything for everyone.

Most likely only one game ever made that was a masterpiece(U7) and is most lilkely only because of timing.

Though TW3 had its problems(not many) it did show what could be done with real choices in a game as well as games within a game.

Sort of how Skyrim show how you can make a game with no real main quest but hours and hours of fun exploring.

Last edited:
Star Citizen didn't start in 2011, unless we count someone creating a company and having ideas count which means that Cyberpunk 2077 started in 1988 (Mike Pondsmith is co-director of the game). CIG engine contract (GLA) with Crytek is dated November 20th 2012 at which point the company wasn't even 8 people big.

When CDPR said "most devs are on TW3", they meant that there was 240 devs (official peak) on TW3 and ~50-80 on Cyberpunk. Right now, Gwent has around 100 devs, while Cyberpunk is over 300.

Chris Roberts had demo modules running in Cryengine 3 in 2011, so yes, Star Citizen was started at least by then if not earlier.

As I said, Cyberpunk began in earnest in 2015. The original PnP game from 1988 has nothing to do with the development of Cyberpunk 2077, and no, Mike Pondsmith is not "co-director". Other than contributing to the plot, Pondsmith has nothing more than an advisory role. Did you really think that someone who's not even in the video game industry would be co-director of such a project?

At least do some research and try to know what you're talking about before writing comments that make you look foolish. :)

It's a pointless comparison.

In a way, Star Citizen has been in development since Wing Commander - and Freelancer was an attempt from Chris Roberts to do the same kind of game with the money he got from Microsoft - and the technology available at the time.

He had to abandon the vision when Microsoft changed leadership and the new boss completely altered the direction of games they funded.

As for Star Citizen itself, the scope has expanded ten-fold since the original pitch video, which was scrapped together by a few people and has all but nothing to do with an actual game. The only part of that demo that's still in the game is the groundwork of the physics system - which Chris Roberts has developed over the course of a long time and is separate from the game itself, as it's something he always wanted for his flight model. I believe it's also the only code that has been touched by Roberts himself, though I'm not sure about that.

The game that's being developed today, didn't really start until something like 2015 when they had a chance to semi-finalise the feature-set - and they're actually still hiring people to complete the team.

Game development is different for each and every game - and it's almost impossible to talk about when they actually started in earnest - and it's all but irrelevant unless we know the exact details of how much of the game was made at what time.

We don't really know anything about Cyberpunk in this way, so it's an utter waste of time to make it into yet another pointless "my father is smarter than your father" contest.

Last edited:
Most likely only one game ever made that was a masterpiece(U7) and is most lilkely only because of timing.

Though TW3 had its problems(not many) it did show what could be done with real choices in a game as well as games within a game.

Sort of how Skyrim show how you can make a game with no real main quest but hours and hours of fun exploring.

Well, we all have different concepts of a masterpiece :)

U7 was fantastic for its time, but I never got to play it around release - and I think the combat system is utter crap.

I don't have many games that I consider masterpieces. It's not necessarily about how much I enjoy a game - and more about how well it does what I think it sets out to do, as well as how much it brings things forward.

System Shock is a great example of a masterpiece, where as something like System Shock 2 is merely fantastic - even though I probably enjoy playing it more.

But it didn't bring things forward to the same extent.

Anyway, I digress.

Why must everything be a competition?
Because that's how human species behave. In cases where competition is not an option, defiance will be triggered instead.
Well, we all have different concepts of a masterpiece :)
We also have ability to understand others' concepts. Unless we refuse to.

Game development is different for each and every game - and it's almost impossible to talk about when they actually started in earnest - and it's all but irrelevant unless we know the exact details of how much of the game was made at what time.

We don't really know anything about Cyberpunk in this way, so it's an utter waste of time to make it into yet another pointless "my father is smarter than your father" contest.

I agree.

I'm not sure why he felt the need to compare apples and oranges and then try to bullshit his way through it, but whatever.

Both projects are certainly exciting. I'm very impressed by some of the demos I've seen of Star Citizen, and I'm not even a big fan of space sims. I just hope Roberts is able to deliver something close to the original vision.

I'm more excited about Cyberpunk, but that's mostly because there are so few games in that genre and even fewer crpgs. Other than Deus Ex and Shadowrun, what has there ever been as far as cyberpunk-themed RPGs?

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on both projects.

I'm more excited about Cyberpunk, but that's mostly because there are so few games in that genre and even fewer crpgs. Other than Deus Ex and Shadowrun, what has there ever been as far as cyberpunk-themed RPGs?

Check Rain of Reflections. It should be released definitely sooner than Cyberpunk. :)

Back
Top Bottom