Gaming Industry $134 Billion In 2018

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
New market data has been released this week about the gross income made by the gaming industry this year, and surprise it's only $134 Billion In 2018.

GamesIndustry.biz put together an easy-to-read infographic chart.

31424430127_2c678c7e13_b.jpg

I'll also add the top five by money earned.

nIJfAFR.png

All these numbers are worthless.
There is absolutely no separation between normal videogames and gambling falsely advertised as videogames there.

All these numbers are worthless.
There is absolutely no separation between normal videogames and gambling falsely advertised as videogames there.
Nope it's all the data combined as they do every year.

Unfortunately mobile and online games make more money then RPGs & Regular games. Surprised to see EA on the top five but they make a lot off sport games.

I should develop an App, and make a shit ton of money off apple users.:lol:

Am i reading that correctly? PC gained more revenue than console?

You're reading something wrong. PC $33+ billion, all consoles and garbage that ain't phone/tablet combined $38+ billion.

Sad that mobile games made more then console and PC games.:(

Smart Phone Games = $39.1 billion
Tablet Games = $11.4 billion
Boxed & Digital PC Game = $29.2 billion
Browser PC Games = $4.3 billion
Console Games = $38.3 billion

The inner and outer ring are different numbers.

Inner circle breaks down game sales & the outer ring totals up all the sales.

Pay2win, xcuse me, pay2notplay won the market. :)

You're reading something wrong. PC $33+ billion, all consoles and garbage that ain't phone/tablet combined $38+ billion.

That's market value, DarNoor was talking about revenue. It seems digital download revenue was bigger on PC than it is on console, but boxed revenue was grouped together so we can't know for sure which one was bigger (at least from this report). But based on the market value, we can assume consoles had bigger revenue too. Still, it's very close. I remember seeing a report like this 5-6 years ago and the difference between console and PC market value was much, much bigger. Something like 70% consoles, 30% PC.

Every category but browser-based PC games went up. Gaming is getting bigger!

Well if you go by market share total.

Mobile = 47% (+12.8% over last year)
Console = 28% (+15.2% over last year)
PC = 25% (+3.2% over last year)

Last edited:
New market data has been released this week about the gross income made by the gaming industry this year, and surprise it's only $134 Billion In 2018.

GamesIndustry.biz put together an easy-to-read infographic chart.

31424430127_2c678c7e13_b.jpg

Nice one Potato.
What's the difference between Mobile and Phone though ?

Nice one Potato.
What's the difference between Mobile and Phone though ?
I explained it above the outer ring is total market share by revenue, and inner ring is the market share broken down by sales. Yep even I was confused at first.
I'm shocked by mobile revenue. Also who the freak is voodoo.
A smart phone app-maker/cheap game maker on google.

I guess it's amusing that I consider myself a lifelong hardcore gamer (not as in amazingly good at it but in playing games a LOT) and I've only heard of 2 of the top 10 (from the two top 5 lists) and would never play any of them.

Must be that I'm old and not surgically attached to a mobile device. I only ever play games on my phone if I'm waiting at the doctor's office or something like that and I play simple games like 1010 or FreeFlow that I can drop and continue 3 months later.

My biggest fear right now is that PC gaming has been thriving when not too long ago PC gaming was "doomed" and consoles were going to crush PC gaming. I feel like Steam was a huge part of helping PC gaming get strong by making buying, managing, and dealing with PC games as easy as it is on consoles. And by making games more visible, especially indie games. The steamworks, workshop, forums, and all other hooks are a thing too. Being able to deal with all your games easily via one app was/is huge for less technically inclined players.

The fear is that all the corporate greed involved, by Valve with taking too much of a cut, which then lead to big companies pushing away and making their own launchers, which is getting worse, is going to fragment the market, negatively impact less technical players, and push people back towards console vs dealing with the hassles of needing a different launcher for every company and no longer having one central hub to deal with the vast majority of games.

Like, I think this Epic launcher/competition with Steam is being misrepresented as a good thing, when the only positive for it is taking less of a cut of some games - which doesn't help players in any way. There won't be any steamworks, or mod support, or anything except having to deal with multiple launchers.

What is this strange "mobile device" of which you speak? Is that, like, a car or something? If I put my parking break on, does that mean I have "secured my mobile device"? :devil:

One quick observation: seems like this data focuses on the West and does not fully cater Asia.
Otherwise an excellent summary and potential eye-opener for anyone interested in the biz-side of making fun for a living.

One quick observation: seems like this data focuses on the West and does not fully cater Asia.
Otherwise an excellent summary and potential eye-opener for anyone interested in the biz-side of making fun for a living.
Not yet it doent but Asia is the next big market for Western publishers/developers. It comes with a cost though they have to censor games more to get them released.

Especially the Chinese market.

Back
Top Bottom