Greedfall - More Details

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Rock, Paper, Shotgun has some more information on Greedfall:

Greedfall is Spiders’ colonial fantasy RPG

Spiders, the team behind Mars: War Logs, Bound by Flame and The Technomancer, are working on a new RPG that goes by the name Greedfall. The title may be a callback of sorts to Silverfall, an action-RPG that many of the studio’s initial developers worked on at Monte Cristo shortly before forming their new studio. Like that earlier title, Greedfall has a technology vs nature vibe, depicting an island paradise that has been discovered by colonial forces from several distinct nations. You play as a neutral, able to ally yourself with either the nature-loving natives, or any of the nations seeking to exploit the island’s resources. It’s all make-believe, with magic and monsters and a fictional map, but the art style and military tech is 17th century European in style.

[...]

Teaser:

Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Sounds like an interesting setting. If done right, it could address some of the moral difficulties of colonization and empire building.

So we have a Gunpowder Age setting combined with fantasy this time? As the human looks like a witch hunter, and the woman looks like Dryad who uses nature magic.

Bottom line it has my interest as Technomancer was one of Spiders best RPGs.

So we have a Gunpowder Age setting combined with fantasy this time? As the human looks like a witch hunter, and the woman looks like Dryad who uses nature magic.

I think it screams… Risen 3. This time on one island, with French flavour, without pirates but with inspiration from AC.

- art and colonial locations heavily inspired by AC
- monsters inspired by Witcher 3 and their previous title Bound by Flame
- combat, AI and companions will be evolution of Technomancer
- big island inspired by Risen series (Piranha's works)
- some fractions inspired by Risen 3 (mages vs scholars utilising local "power", inquisition force vs colonial force)

I have to disagree, Farlame. Did you ever play Silverfall? It sold well here in Europe, I'm not sure how it did in the states. It was a really interesting idea, but the gameplay was sort of meh. Still it was kind of Diablo with two factions. You couldn't play a real neutral, and siding with the colonists made some areas friendlier and siding with the natives made other areas friendlier. Plus even though you had 3 basic classes, a nature ranger character had access to different weapons and additional abilities than a tech character. The conflict and factions were far sharper than they were in Risen 3, plus they had the idea long before Risen.

I liked that trailer and I kinda liked the Spider games I played. This has me interested.

I hope they don't use the same control scheme as bound by flame. I found myself unable to move effectively and returned the game after about 30 minutes (if it's the game I'm thinking of). Mars: War logs I enjoyed far more since you could pause and the controls seemed less finicky. I only play with a mouse and generally have trouble with control schemes designed for controllers..

I think it screams… Risen 3.
I wish. But IMO it screems Assassins Creed 4.

Will wait for more news - what you kill in Risen 3 rarely revives and you can make millions of savegames. In AC4 everything is brought back to life and in cases of power shortage all you have is the recent (automatic) checkpoint.

Back
Top Bottom