Dragon Age 2 - Free Mass Effect 2 PC for All Owners

It didn't take long for ea to overthrow Bioware, low sales and critically panned. Worst Bioware release ever?

DAII sold 1 million copies in two weeks, not bad for a sinking ship….

That's the spin on the numbers. A lot of the 1 million was pre-orders from the 'BioWare has never let me down' crowd. And the Origins was great, how bad can the sequel be? -crowd.

After people realized that BioWare CAN do wrong and that DA2 is nothing like Origins, sales fell off a cliff. It is the week 2, and 3 (and presumably 4) numbers that are the problem. DA2 should be motoring on past 2 million now, especially as BioWare alienated its core RPG crowd for the specifically stated reason of attracting the 'Call of Duty audience' of 10 million. That's why tons of great RPG mechanics like loot, exploration, min-maxing, diverging story arcs etc etc were cut with a huge hatchet. Well the Call of Duty crowd never showed up to the party, leaving just a load of the core fans with epic butthurt (as seen on the forums for the last month).

Don't get me wrong - I think this is a very admirable gesture, and one that no other developer on the market would bother to do, but I can't help thinking it would have been easier for BioWare to have just made a game of acceptable quality in the first place. But anyway, good on BioWare for listening and making a peace offering!

I wonder how many of the faithful already have ME2.

Getting ME2 at this point of the year for free when a special edition is very likely in the box with all the DLCs... Added to that, you have to buy Dragon Age 2. Financially better to buy only the incoming ME2 special edition.

Also part of the million is xbox to rental stores, correct? I would guess a quarter are rentals.

They're probably relying on people buying Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, Overlord etc. Sounds like a win/win to me; more ME3 sales and more ME2 DLC sales. The customers in question probably wouldn't buy ME2 at this point, but they might just buy the DLCs once they're given a copy of ME2.

Only on RPGWatch!

Had this been GoG giving away M&M 1-4 if you bought M&M 5 or getting Escalon book 1 for free when buying book 2 there would be no end to all the praises that would be heaped upon the developers here at the Watch but no, when it is EA/Bioware it is all bad all the time, not matter what they do .... bunch of hypocrites. :(

Good deal if you're into this kind of streamlined experience content, regardless of their obvious desperation.

Already own ME2 ofcourse. I hold off DA2 until summer, or until DA3 is announced.

I guess this is how I will get DA2 - with the ME3 "sequence celebration" deal.

ME2 is a super entertaining game, btw. Not a real RPG, but a great game nevertheless, and better than its predecessor. Played it twice, and enjoyed every minute of it.

ME2 is a very fun game. If you didn't have it already then this is a great offer (if you had also already bought DA2).

PC AAA publishers have been wondering how to make the platform make sense. The free to buy, micro-transactions etc. has been very successful in a number of markets, so to bring that model as a tie-in to DA2 sales is quite clever.

Last edited:
Only on RPGWatch!

Had this been GoG giving away M&M 1-4 if you bought M&M 5 or getting Escalon book 1 for free when buying book 2 there would be no end to all the praises that would be heaped upon the developers here at the Watch but no, when it is EA/Bioware it is all bad all the time, not matter what they do …. bunch of hypocrites. :(

You are right (though it is happening elsewhere as well, not just here) but surely you can understand the cynicism when BioWare makes changes to broaden the appeal but seems to be a little desperate for sales?

You are right (though it is happening elsewhere as well, not just here) but surely you can understand the cynicism when BioWare makes changes to broaden the appeal but seems to be a little desperate for sales?

It is actually quite an irony.

What I would really like to see are the meetings at EA/Bioware HQs with people trying to figure out where it went all wrong.

I guess this is how I will get DA2 - with the ME3 "sequence celebration" deal.

ME2 is a super entertaining game, btw. Not a real RPG, but a great game nevertheless, and better than its predecessor. Played it twice, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Same here.

ME and ME2 (just started my 3:rd on ME) are awesome games.

C

Uninteresting for me, since I want ME2 ONLY in a kind of "Ultimate" package like Dragon Age 1 ...

I for one don't think bioware should be commended for this. Its just another slight to their core fans. They know their core fans already own me2..so they slighted us with da2 in favor of attracting new customers and do it again with this.

I would have preferred a da2 enhanced edition targeted at the fans who made them in the first place.to me this says screw you people who have bought every game we've ever made we want the call of duty fans instead.

What about giving the fans that own ME2 their choice of 2 DLC .No way they want you to spend 80 dollars on the DLC .

I'd be interested in this if DA2 wasn't still $60. I'm really not willing to pay that much for two games I'm not that interested in. I'm really not the target audience of Bioware's games though. I'm kind of a single-character player, since turn-based combat went away. I don't like managing multiple toons in real-time games.

If you read the small print of the offer, the download of ME2 does NOT include access to the Cerberus network and it's related DLC usually free for a new copy of the game. If you want that stuff it's $15 thank you very much. Which makes the game cost about as much as you pick it up for these days anyway!

Back
Top Bottom