Mass Effect 2 - Just the Facts, Man

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Mass Effect 2 Exec Producer Casey Hudson has posted a new entry at their IGN blog titled Just the Facts, Man. The piece explains and illuminates the various E3 previews with more detail:
When we say that Shepard can die in Mass Effect 2, it’s not something that happens at points in the middle of the game. Yes, you can “die” in gameplay as normal but that’s not what we’re talking about here. It’s not a “Game Over” screen. It’s not a gimmicky thing where you make a choice, “die”, and reload to continue to the “real” ending. When you get to the very end of the story in Mass Effect 2, you will get one of a wide variety of climactic and satisfying endings. Depending on how prepared you were, your ending may involve Shepard making the ultimate sacrifice to accomplish the mission.
More information.

So... they basically just spoiled one of the endings, yes?
Not so negative please! Be proud that they have such original ideas.

Lowlier games like Fallout 3 will be envious!

Perhaps it wasn't an ending. Uploading your personality into a computer for backup purposes is a standard new space-opera trope. (Come to think of it, I wonder why nobody's yet used it in a cRPG -- it'd be a neat in-game way to handle death.)

If you count System Shock 2, it did that, IIRC.

But Mass Effect is a trilogy about Commander Shepard’s journey - if your Shepard dies in the end of Mass Effect 2, that’s the end of him / her. In that case, you can play Mass Effect 3 as “a” Shepard – just not “your” Shepard.

I don't get this. Shepard dies, and you play another Shepard? Wut?

Presumably they've locked in Shepard as the protagonist for #3 but if he dies in #2, the consequence is you lose your ability to load the save and have the same looks etc carry over, I suppose.

As for spoilers, this material is the cornerstone of their E3 push, so it's widespread public knowledge.

Mass Effect 3 - The Search for Shepherd (but only on applicable saves)

That's... strange. So you would kind of die in ME2, but not really and then in ME3 - deus ex machina! - Shepard is alive? If this is the case, then it sounds as if the "death" ending would mean that you completed the game, but partially "failed" and that in ME3 you lose the
benefits for those who put time into developing their character
that they mentioned. I'm curious to see how they will resolve this. I think I'm ok with it, really, as long as it makes sense.

As for spoilers, this material is the cornerstone of their E3 push, so it's widespread public knowledge.

Yeah, but still, I'm kinda surprised with Bioware spoiling so much of their games recently. I mean, you can avoid the spoilers if you want to, but they just keep throwin' them at you.

your ending may involve Shepard making the ultimate sacrifice
omg, he sacrifices the earth for blue booty!

I must say that I don't like developers revealing too much about a game - they had a huge critical success with ME1 - so I hardly think they need to worry about luring people back for ME2? Also, why are they so wedded to Shephard (or whatever his name is)? Why must ME2 (And ME3) continue to be *his* story? Given previous comments about how 'well developed' the ME universe was, I'm sure there are many other new (fresher) characters that it would be interesting to explore/experience.

Back
Top Bottom