Demon War - Available for Preorder

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
You can now preorder Din's Curse: Demon War for $8.99. If you preorder the game you get it at a lower price and recieve beta access. There's also a 30 day money back guarantee. Here's the official announcement:

Din's Curse: Demon War is the first expansion for the unique action RPG Din's Curse. Adds the Demon Hunter class, new demon monsters, tons of new quests, more involved NPCs, lots of new dungeons and caves, and much more.

Pre-order now, get acces to the beta, and a lower price

$8.99 (will go up after beta)

30 day Money Back Guarantee!

Get access to Windows AND Mac versions with either purchase.
More information.

Did they make dungeons more interesting and less cramped? That was probably my number one complaint.

Not sure about the less cramped or less interesting dungeons, but some of the things he's been tweeting about are very interesting. Here are a few of the upgrades he's tweeted:

now in the expansion you can change some of the armor items on the NPCs to make them more durable

not sure I mentioned this but you can now scoop up spilled liquids into empty vials in the expansion (oil, alcohol, etc)

now in the Demon War expansion when NPCs get into a fight you can freely attack either one of them

added a quest today that allows you to retrieve some items from a dead hardcore character

NPCs can now get into fights with one another in Din's Curse: Demon War

ego weapons can now level up in the Din's Curse expansion

added invasions with multiple waves today and an invasion wave mode to Din's Curse: Demon War

Din's Curse expansion: lightning bolts from storms now do damage and an Electrical Hazard world modifier was added today

some things added to the Din's Curse expansion today: demon Throw Bomb skill, Demon Alert skill, and War Zone world modifier

weather gets more gameplay impact today, can now leave puddles or ice patches. Water = electrical hazard, Ice = slippery

4 new machine types going into the Din's Curse expansion today - anti-magic, temporal flux, fog, and ice

In the expansion, a NPCs personality type will matter more: adventurous will try to solve more quests, nice will give more gifts, etc.

towns can now banish NPCs that they don't like (Din's Curse expansion)

I really like Din's world modifiers, added 10 more to the expansion, things like Drunk Town, High Unemployment, and Heroic Town

NPCs can now steal from one another in the Din's Curse expansion

now if an NPC successfully steals from another NPC, you will get a quest to track down evidence of who did it (Din's Curse expansion)

now that NPCs have money, leprechauns running around town causes a lot of havoc

npcs can now drink, try to solve quests, leave town, go renegade, give personal quests, and argue/talk to other npcs (happiness related)

Here's the blog post explaining the NPCs(I think we posted that awhile ago): http://www.soldak.com/Blogs/Steven/NPCs-with-Depth.html

A bunch of little things that make the world come alive. I wouldn't mind at all if he put in factions again. The absolute best thing from Depths of Peril was that you were competing against the AI and the AI wasn't dumb. If he could somehow put in that competition again I think it would improve the replay value immensely. For me at least :)

I grabbed it in part to support them - haven't had much time to try it yet. The two things I loved from Depths of Peril were the companions and competing with the AI - I loved that, too.

Dhruin, what do you think of the expansion so far? I realize it's still beta so ignore any bugs or things that can be fixed later, I'm just wondering about the additions he's made.

Honestly, it's hard for me to say at this early point. I loved the original Depths of Peril - Din's Curse had some nice ideas but it didn't connect with me in the same way and I didn't play it as much. Given that I haven't really kept track of the patches/changes...

- graphics are improved - it's incremental but it looks better. Some new textures, less crowded and a little sharper. Don't expect too much but it looks nicer.

- More music and the occasional voice sound bite (or did I forget that from the original)?

- Different quests. Kill a bug infestation, find missing shipments, starving townspeople, townspeople argue and fight with each other.

- "Ego" items - as far as I can tell, rare items that level up from time to time.

- New environments and critters.

The pace seems faster, too, but that's hard to tell. I lost my first world by lvl 6 -- I had no trouble killing stuff but I had two invasions in quick order and couldn't get back to town fast enough before everyone was killed.

Basically, it's Din's Curse on steroids - no major changes but more of everything. I'd say that has tipped it over the line to make it much more interesting to me than the original but it's early days. If you liked DC, this is probably a no-brainer. If you hated it, it's still basically the same game. If you liked it but wanted more "stuff", this has that covered.

I still miss my companion and the levels are still too "samey", although some of the new dungeon styles look pretty cool.

Thanks for the info.

The game has some neat features and is pretty damn competent for an indie release, but I think the dungeon structure is simply too limited. I suppose it's wonderful for fans of rogue-likes, but I prefer a less random approach. Diablo did it pretty well for the genre, as the atmosphere was strong - and what little story there was, was pretty good. It also had an all-important "end" to aim for.

This feels too pointless, ultimately. But it's nice to hear when indies do well, and I might buy this expansion just to support the initiative.

Yes, thanks for that.

I knew I'd get it, but was curious about how all these tweets he's been making actually improved the game. If it makes it more difficult then all the better. I don't think I ever lost a town and it did get a bit samey even when I bumped up the difficulty.

The most curious addition was the NPC interactions. Seemed like he was going for a living world ala Ultima where the NPCs did they're own thing and had their own motivation.

I still miss the factions. Not sure why he hasn't added that to his other games because that is what made Depth's of Peril unique and fun. It had one of the best diplomacy aspects to a game that I've played. Normally you just bribe or threaten the AI, but in DOP the AI bribed you as well. Loved that about the game. He really should try and add that again. Almost all the reviews I read for DOP praised the factions and said that is what made it stand out from the crowd of Diablo clones.

Characters were great too, but I enjoyed the race against the other factions a lot more. I like Delve Deeper for the same reason. Too bad that one doesn't have any kind of diplomacy, but for a coffee break style game I don't think it would be feasible to add.

Back
Top Bottom