JA2 Reloaded - No TB Combat!

I hate people who take the name of one of the best series there is, and completely ruin it.

They ought to be sued for destroying the name and brand.

It's all about implementation, really.

Personally - I have no particular love for turn-based combat, though I do have a nostalgic fondness making me lean towards that preference sight unseen.

That said, I can't off-hand think of a real-time implementation of a traditionally turn-based system that came out the better for it. X-Com Apocalypse was a step down, Fallout 3 was a step down (in some ways, though I think they actually improved immersion and atmosphere - so real-time control has advantages), Baldur's Gate should have been turn-based, and so on. Neverwinter Nights was right to go for real-time - with it being a multiplayer focused game - but generally, real-time tactical combat sucks (compared to TB) in terms of entertainment value and sense of control. Company of Heroes does it pretty well, but it's a different genre and it hands over a lot of control to the units themselves - which is what I think you need to do, for a proper multi-entity combat system in real time.

So, unless they do it REALLY well - it's a step down.

Also, I can't imagine the kind of thinking they're doing - coming up with this decision. It's a slap in the face to real fans - and I doubt the series will appeal to enough mainstream gamers to make up for that.

So, it strikes me as pretty stupid.

Last edited:
TB was developed for PnP because you can't handle things going on at the same time. It's completely unnecessary for computers. Pause-to-Command is fine. Really. I was close to register to their forum and suggest it myself.

You don't implement features for necessity alone.

In games, you tend to go for entertainment value - or rather, I think you should. Because you don't enjoy turn-based combat, it doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.

Pause-to-command either takes away control from the player, by letting the AI perform the actual actions - or it will simply be a turn-based game with manual control of when the turns are taken, which is less comfortable.

You could argue that the first case is a "better" way of handling combat, but if you can't see it from the other side - you're being blind.

Well, I really do not mind. This is basically Baldur's Gate I. Getting rid of TB was good 12 years ago and this is no different. The last TB game I played was Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor, and I used a hack that could speed up time because it was so dreadfully slow. There's a woman playing the game on youtube. She's up at video 296 now, 10-15 minutes each, and she isn't near the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFG9wzkb__0

I also remember the ages Fallout battles could take when a fight broke out into a town and it could take 5 minutes until you could control your characters again because every frigid civilian had to move one by one.

One of the worst parts with TB is already mentioned, when TB is enabled too early and you have to use the first rounds to simply get your guys in position.
But then you have the people you just do not need, you want them to guard somewhere until needed, but every round you have to click past them, while there are a lot of foes who are just standing somewhere, waiting. You could and should really move them closer to the battle, but you know that would just drain time and would probably not help anyway since the last foe is likely dead before they pop up, then things go bad and you have to do it anyway.

TB was developed for PnP because you can't handle things going on at the same time. It's completely unnecessary for computers. Pause-to-Command is fine. Really. I was close to register to their forum and suggest it myself.

1st) Jagged Alliance 2 is not an RPG.

2nd) Getting rid of TB was NOT a good thing.

3rd) You can easily download a mod for POR2 to speed it up. She should maybe check into that.

4th) Ever try playing a RTWP game where you can attack from multiple directions with squads of 6? You'll have 6 units to the north, 6 to the south and 6 to the west. Oh YEAH!!!! That sounds like fun in real time. Give me more of that please!!!

I really do hope that more gamers think like you because I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and would hate it if this steaming pile of poo bankrupts them.

1st) Jagged Alliance 2 is not an RPG.

It's a tactical rpg.

2nd) Getting rid of TB was NOT a good thing.

Subjective opinion.

3rd) You can easily download a mod for POR2 to speed it up. She should maybe check into that.

The point was that you wan't to do that because TB isn't fun.

4th) Ever try playing a RTWP game where you can attack from multiple directions with squads of 6? You'll have 6 units to the north, 6 to the south and 6 to the west. Oh YEAH!!!! That sounds like fun in real time. Give me more of that please!!!

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

I really do hope that more gamers think like you because I love the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series and would hate that this steaming pile of poo bankrupts them.

How mature.

JemyM said:

Getting rid of TB was good 12 years ago and this is no different.

I completely disagree. It was not good 12 years ago and is not now.

JA 2 still lives today (Version 1.13 and many, many mods), because a lot of fans simply love the turn based combat of this game. IMHO JA2 combat is the pinnacle of turn based combat. JA 2 can be improved in some ways, but combat is the last thing I would change.

Jagged Alliance 2 is the only game I played more than 10 times. Why fix something that is nearly perfect ?

If only Linda and Ian Currie could make a new Jagged Alliance…

It's a tactical rpg.

So? It has about as much in common with Baldur's gate as Monopoly has to Simcity.

Point is it's not an rpg. RTWP works with rpgs. It won't work with this.

Subjective opinion.

What was your opinion then? Fact?

The point was that you wan't to do that because TB isn't fun.

This makes no sense what-so-ever. POR2's gameplay was horrible not because of TB, but because the game sucked. It is one of the worst examples you could have made.

I wish they had went with a combat system similar to TOEE. That one improved the TB system by making it faster and more convenient.

JA2 is slow. It's meant to be slow, yet a lot of people love that game because of the complexity in it and it was fun. Try doing the same thing in real-time and it is not JA2Reloaded. It's something else with Jagged Alliance slapped on the box.

Doesn't sound like a problem to me.

Then I hope you enjoy this game.

How mature.

I was actually serious. Stalker is great. This crap is not.

If only Linda and Ian Currie could make a new Jagged Alliance…

I really miss Sir-Tech.

Personally, I liked JA2 because of the TB combat. So this is good news for me: One less game I have to spend money on :) But of course, there may be enough people out there that don't like the TB combat, so the game could still be a success. It seems to me, though, that a good part of the JA2 community doesn't like the idea of real time… Perhaps there are enough new players to replace them, but why call the game a JA2 remake then, if you don't want to appeal to JA2 fans? You simply can't have both - making the whole thing different for new customers and making a faithfull remake for the old ones.

Point is it's not an rpg.

What is missing from JA2 to qualify it as an rpg?

What was your opinion then? Fact?

Opinion and argument. Your comment was just opinion.

It is one of the worst examples you could have made.

Perhaps PoR2 was bad, but then I also gave more examples so you do not get to cherrypick an argument you would like to refute and then ignore the others.

Then I hope you enjoy this game.

Probably won't bother.

What is missing from JA2 to qualify it as an rpg?
Opinion and argument. Your comment was just opinion.
Perhaps PoR2 was bad, but then I also gave more examples so you do not get to cherrypick an argument you would like to refute and then ignore the others.

You are correct in arguing with me that it is an rpg. However, it has more in common with strategy games than the games you mentioned.

Normal RPGs like Baldur's Gate do not allow you to have more than 6 characters, split your forces, hold areas on the map, maintain those forces (gold from the mines), attack areas from multiple directions and it's combat system is more complex.

Your opinion may have had facts to support you, but those facts are irrelevant to me. I do not mind waiting for them to take their turn. If a game is too slow then you can bet that some modder will speed it up. That is not a weakness of TB games. That's a weakness in the way they implemented the system. For example: I had to get the mod to speed up Wiz 8 because the monsters were too slow, but I sure as hell would not want that game in realtime.

If you do not like turnbased games because of how slow they are then fine, but I like them for the level of control I have over my characters. I can plan out my tactics without being rushed. I do not mind the civilians taking their turns. Sure that could be improved upon like they did in TOEE, but overall I would rather have a game that allows me to think out my moves.

That said, I still like RTWP with RPGS where you have one party and only one party. Dragon Age was fine with me because of this. A game like JA2 is not ok to do in realtime.

As for cherry picking, lol. How many examples did you use? Fallout, Baldur's Gate and POR2. I chose that one because it was absolutely crazy you posted that youtube video when all the woman needs to do is get a mod to speed up how fast they run.

Plus, your other examples were ludicrous, IMO. Fallout's combat being boring? Give me a break. Yes, it was slow at times, but not that slow. You also had a bunch of different options like different kinds of ammunition to use, different drugs, different companions, different styles of weapons, different rates at which those weapons could be fired, explosives and different kinds of behavior for your companions. Could it be improved upon? Of course, but there is no need to get rid of the whole system entirely. If that is boring to you then we have totally different tastes in games.

You mentioned waiting for the guards to come into position and how that was too slow. Well, that's part of the fun of the game. You don't know where they are at and have to be careful where you go. Normally I would have one scout with the others in position while we slowly crawled forward as a group. If the scout was any good he would see them before they saw him. If not then at least most of my guys would still be in position to take on the coming rush of guards.

I like that and I would believe a lot of other JA2 fans do as well or there wouldn't be such an uproar all over those forums and Bear's Pitt.

Hope this is enough detail for you. Basically it comes down to they are hoping that more people will think like you and buy this game because I know that most of the JA2 community wants nothing to do with it. Check out their forums if you don't believe me.

Such a pity. Everything in the list can be fixed with changes to TB combat (like TOEE where opponents take their moves at the same time, faster animations, better interface and AI). Unfortunately, there is this stupid notion that TB is obsolete plus other retarded arguments, so a fun, turn based combat is not viable anymore for any developer that wants to reach a mainstream audience.

OK, Fallout fucked up, X-com too, Gothic ditto, now Jagged Alliance.
I don't care.
However, it's really bold of them to presume they can improve the possibly greatest turn based combat ever implemented in a PC game ... by turning it realtime.
I just expect these sad morons will face the same problem Arcania's developers did: game didn't appeal to the fans nor anyone else.

TB was developed for PnP because you can't handle things going on at the same time.

In esoterics, people also say that in our Real World "time" only exists for ot letting everything happen at the same time.

It's completely unnecessary for computers. Pause-to-Command is fine. Really. I was close to register to their forum and suggest it myself.

Well, unnecessary for computers, maybe, but for players, maybe.

I really can't understand why no-one here looks at board games for reference. Board games can be implemented like turn-based or like simultaneous turns … But the feeling[/i] of what you name "pause-to-command" is a whole lot different than REAL turn-based combat.

Just imagine CIV with "pause-to-command". Would it be the same game ?

In principle, yes, but the feel to it would be a *lot* different, I guess …

I think that no-one does board games nowadays anymore. Because otherwise, games would look different … would have different combat mechanics. It is to me so as if everyone assumes that people just don't do board games, or even know or want to have their mechanics ported into video games.

I know that I'm crazy, but it's to me as if - assumed developers know and play any board games at all - devs want any board game to be RTS.

And next thing will be Warhammer either in RTS or with "pause-to-command".
Both PC *and* table, I fear.

Besides, that's to me just consequent : We live in the Age Of Action, where ALL game publishers and developers are trying hard to make everything = Action !

Personally (and you know that I'm biased), I fear that this might be a thing of "gaming cultures" : It might be a playing style that is "big" in the U.S. - and everyone wants to sell in the U.S. , so everyone's copying it ... The Games Com was FULL of action-based games. No-one does non-action adventures anymore - except a few companies that are so small that they might almost be Indies.

Even the RPG genre is full of mindless action nowadays - first StarSiege, now Arcania.

And my worst fear is that BitComposer will actually suceed with it !

JemyM sounds like a very knowledgable guy, so if he approves stripping the TB from JA2 it's probably for the better.
haughty.png

JemyM sounds like a very knowledgable guy, so if he approves stripping the TB from JA2 it's probably for the better.
haughty.png

JemyM IS a very knowledgable guy, but if Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (2001) was the last TB game he played, he has no clue about newer turn based combat games or he simply dislikes them.

I recommend these newer games:

Geneforge series
Avernum series
Knights of the Chalice
JA 2 V1.13
Fantasy Wars
Fantasy Wars: Elven Lagacy
Ascension to the Throne 1+2
Grotesque Tactics: Evil Heroes
Kings Bounty series
Eschalon series
Swords & Sorcery: Underworld
Prelude to Darkness
Devil Whiskey
Teudogar and the Alliance with Rome
Mr. Robot

Older Games:
JA 1, JA 2, Deadly Games, Vietnam SOG '69, Deidranna Lives, Urban Chaos …
Gorky 17 (Odium in North America)
Septerra Core
Fallout 1 + 2
Incubation
Wizardry series
Might & Magic series
Betrayal at Krondor

Last edited:
Normal RPGs like Baldur's Gate do not allow you to have more than 6 characters, split your forces, hold areas on the map, maintain those forces (gold from the mines), attack areas from multiple directions and it's combat system is more complex.

This isn't the combat interface which is what I discussed.

If you do not like turnbased games because of how slow they are then fine, but I like them for the level of control I have over my characters. I can plan out my tactics without being rushed. I do not mind the civilians taking their turns. Sure that could be improved upon like they did in TOEE, but overall I would rather have a game that allows me to think out my moves.

Turn-based means it's based on turns, as in each individual acting one after another. To think, plan, and make tactical/strategic choices in your time, do not require individuals to move in turns. In fact, to co-op it is necessary to act at the same time rather than one after another.

Let's say you want person 2 and 5 to break into the front entrance and 6 from the rear, while person 1, 3 and 4 moves to the next house, you want to give person 2, 5 and 6 their order and person 1, 3 and 4 theirs. You do not want to move character 1 one full turn towards the next house, break into the house with person 2, wait for NPC to complete their turn, move person 3 near person 1 etc. Yet this is how you often must do things in a PnP.

How many examples did you use? Fallout, Baldur's Gate and POR2. I chose that one because it was absolutely crazy you posted that youtube video when all the woman needs to do is get a mod to speed up how fast they run.

BG, NWN, Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale works in realtime with the ability to pause, I see no complaints there. Fallout, ToEE, PoR:RoMD, UFO etc are turnbased and could today be using the same method as the ones previously mentioned.

Fallout's combat being boring?

When a city reacts yes, and no you do not get to quotemine a sentence out of context and then spin it around. You may even reload the game if that happens because else you are in for a long sitting.

You mentioned waiting for the guards to come into position and how that was too slow. Well, that's part of the fun of the game. You don't know where they are at and have to be careful where you go.

Shouldn't you be completely unaware of them if that is the case?

Hope this is enough detail for you. Basically it comes down to they are hoping that more people will think like you and buy this game because I know that most of the JA2 community wants nothing to do with it. Check out their forums if you don't believe me.

I am not surprised there is an uproar.

Sorry JemyM, but JA IS mainly loved as one of the best TB combat games ever, not because people think playing soldiers for hire on tropical islands is the bees knees. Thats the first flaw in your argument. The second is that TB combat is obsolete. It is not, it is simply different. It appeals to certain players for entirely its own reasons, mainly because it is a fully controlled gaming environment, where you (more or less) completely control every action of your side, strategizing in a rule-based environment - compare that with the controlled chaos of RTWP, and the difference should be immediately obvious. Both can be tactical and strategic, but in a very different way. Thats the second flaw. The third flaw is assuming TB computer games were created just because P&P games and thus early CRPGs had to be TB. That is not the case. Some classic CRPG had real-time combat. Nevertheless the TB combat developed vigourously for a considerable time in parallel - because people LIKED IT.

Last edited:
Bah ... I so loved JA series, but it has to be turn based! Why all this real time hype? Is the entire world now filled with hyper hyper kids?

Double-bah...

Back
Top Bottom