Sorcerer King: Rivals - Create Your Own RPGs

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Remember the Neverwinter Nights modding days? Stardock does as Sorcerer King: Rivals will let players create their own RPGs according to Gameranx, all thanks to Steamworks. The game is due for release September 22nd.

Neverwinter Nights had some incredibly versatile campaign-creation tools. Remember those? Well, Stardock's upcoming 4X strategy game Sorcerer King: Rivals will include all the tools you need to create your own RPGs and share them with everyone else-minus any of the hassle players had to put up with in NWN and other games thanks to Steamworks.

This fantasy 4X game allows players to design their own classic RPG by stripping out the factions and city/unit building and focus entirely on characters and storybuilding.
[…]

In Rivals, the tables are turned and players now take on the role of a wizard who aspires to godhood. The rival wizards must try to stop you before you ascend, and the Sorcerer King's (he's still around) own ambitions will get in the way of yours.

The tools available in Sorcerer King: Rivals include a quest editor, a map editor, and various other tools to create items, units, tiles, and more.

Stardock describes the game as "Populous meets Master of Magic." It's set for release on September 22.
More information.

Um, didn't I already pay for this mostly average game when I bought Sorcerer King?! How the heck does this justify re-buying it?! Maybe they should have put some of that effort into Sorcerer King to address the samey-gameplay that makes playing through it again an absolute bore.

I have given up on Stardock long time ago. Only good game from them is Sins of the Solar Empire and for that one they were only publishers (I know they made Gal Civ games, but I care not for that kind of 4x with little or no combat)

I have given up on Stardock long time ago. Only good game from them is Sins of the Solar Empire and for that one they were only publishers (I know they made Gal Civ games, but I care not for that kind of 4x with little or no combat)

I loved Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. Even with some of it's quirks and warts, I thought it was a really interesting sandbox strategy game with enough theme and lore to make it feel a bit RPGish. But their business model generally seems a bit cracked to me... they seem to make a lot of odd decisions now and again - but I guess that's a product of how Brad Wardell calls the shots.

I loved Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes. Even with some of it's quirks and warts, I thought it was a really interesting sandbox strategy game with enough theme and lore to make it feel a bit RPGish. But their business model generally seems a bit cracked to me… they seem to make a lot of odd decisions now and again - but I guess that's a product of how Brad Wardell calls the shots.
I didn't. It was a passable product but nowhere near Master of Magic. And considering it was a 3rd iteration on same engine, it should have been way better than passable.
At that point I figured out people making games there are just without talent and I cannot expect anything good from them anymore.

Compared to Endless Legend, FE:LE is laughable product.

Don't get the point. Using the Sorcerer King engine to create RPG don't make sense to me.
NWN has a lot of resources and a playable DND system. What the Sorcerer King has to offer?

Using the Sorcerer King engine to make a Fall From heaven III mod is a more attractive idea to me. Considering the team behind FFH II was dismised, i don't have a high expectation for this to happen.

I assume that means a toolset.

What about a standalone server, and a DM Client? How about multiplayer with more than just one party and PvP options?

For those wondering, the game is a stand-alone expansion to Sorcerer King and doesn't require the original game.
Maybe I'll finally buy it as I never purchased the first version.
Confused how/when/who 'dismissed' a mod team ? Was this a company formally making a mod ?
Well I believe two of the modders worked for Stadock on Fallen Enchantress, and it's sequel. Also the leader of the group works for Firaxis, and fixed Civilization V.
I assume that means a toolset.

What about a standalone server, and a DM Client? How about multiplayer with more than just one party and PvP options?

Probably not as the game tools are to make more 4X games with RPG aspects. Still I'll take a guess and say you probably can, but it will take a lot of work.

As for me nothing can replace how easy it was to make mods with the NWN Tool-set.

Last edited:
Well they advertise the game as single player, so to advertise it as a NWN-like is a real stretch.

The screenshots of their toolset look really good though.

Back
Top Bottom