System Shock - Retrospective @ Resolution

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Following their article on memorable bastards, Resolution Magazine takes a look back at Looking Glass' System Shock:
So it’s an odd experience to be playing a game about technophobia and the future of computers, now we’re that much further down the road of digital progress. System Shock’s a game that sat between Doom and its sequel on the early-shooter release schedule, born of an era when the technology to power something deep and involving simply wasn’t available.
Or was it? System Shock may look crude on the outside, but revisiting it 15 years later leads to a surprising discovery. For all the low resolutions, blocky, primary-colour textures and sprite-based enemies, Looking Glass’ seminal FPS/RPG still works beautifully. Its heavy stylisation transcends digital horsepower. Its presentation still takes over each and every sense in turn. System Shock in no way feels 15 years old. It’s as modern, polished and captivating as anything you like. There’s a lesson there somewhere.
More information.

I have to agree with this article, why aren't there more games like this?
Bioshock was a very large step backwards, it took me not working and finishing every other game on my computer before getting passed the second level.

:'( I got the itch to play it again after I read this.................. but now I cannot find my CD, a through cleaning of my place will be the result!

O , yeah SS was even released for free at some point, wasn't it ?

It's still one of my favourite games; the atmosphere is incredible!! Been a couple of years since I last played it, so I might get it out again too!! :)

If you ask me, this game can't get enough attention.

I'm surprised to read a modern article that "gets it" - and I'm very glad to know that there are media people out there who agree with me about Shock.

O , yeah SS was even released for free at some point, wasn't it ?

I'm pretty sure it's official abandonware, if there's such a thing. I personally didn't hesitate to download it because I own a copy.

Still have my original big box copy of SS2 also...in perfect condition no less. Notice the "Parental Advisory" sticker in the bottom corner, I always got a kick out of that. :lol:

Attachments

• System Shock 1&2.JPG
    System Shock 1&2.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 69
I bought the FLOPPY version of System Shock - before they released the CD-ROM enhanced version.

I think I have ~3 copies of that game lying around somewhere. Still have the rather excellent manual too - though it wasn't one of the big ones. But great atmosphere and random quotes to add to the feeling of authenticity.

I think the premise is both brilliant and plausible - but ok, I'm probably biased.

I have to agree with this article, why aren't there more games like this?
Bioshock was a very large step backwards, it took me not working and finishing every other game on my computer before getting passed the second level.

Most people enjoy playing simpler games. Perhaps this will change in future when the audiance matures and more of them start to want more.

Most people enjoy playing simpler games. Perhaps this will change in future when the audiance matures and more of them start to want more.

Look at Hollywood for what's going to happen.

The casual market will remain casual - and no amount of maturing will change what the masses will want. They're simply going to want faster and more "edgy" stuff - like that Dragon Age trailer is so effectively demonstrating.

That's not to say that it can't happen - though - but it will always be several steps behind what enthusiasts will want.

My hope is that as the AAA developers migrate to consoles, there will be enough room on the PC for the middle-market titles I like to go on about. A decent System Shock (2) spiritual sequel IS possible with the right priorities.

I agree DArtagnan, now everything is about earning bucks, fast bucks, with a lot of mainstream products.

However I have some hope an indie developer might make something.

Electronic Arts had supposedly production of SS3 back in 2006, not sure whatever happened to that....

I agree DArtagnan, now everything is about earning bucks, fast bucks, with a lot of mainstream products.

However I have some hope an indie developer might make something.

I doubt a "true" sequel can be handled in an indie environment. I really do think we need the middle-market level to make something that actually evolves the genre.

The thing about Shock is that you can't make such a game without a certain level of production values. You need strong visual aesthetics and atmospheric sound effects. Such things cost a lot of money to make - but if you spend them wisely, they can go in the right places. Also, if you get talented people who're passionate, you might not need to pay them all that much.

For one thing, you don't want to spend fortunes on established actors - ala Bethesda with Liam Neeson in Fallout 3. You want "decent" actors - just like they used in the old days, and I guess Looking Glass used no-names or probably some of their own team. It worked beautifully - because the space station was supposed to be full of science geeks and what not. Most AAA developers forget that you actually don't NEED to spend fortunes to get results. On the other hand, that's exactly what they don't care about - and the reason Liam Neeson is in Fallout 3, and not some unknown talent - is that the name ITSELF will draw a crowd and get them extra bucks.

That's why artists can get away with spending less. They don't really need to get rich, just to stay afloat. Such is my theory, anyway.

Then you have to be smart about what engine you use, and you really need to think about what you'll need and how effectively you can either license or build one. Unreal 3 engine would suit this purpose quite well, but I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives.

It's key to remember that Looking Glass didn't license everything, like Irrational/Take 2 did with Bioshock - and which everyone does these days to "save time". They built their own damn engine from scratch - and again, with the right talent you don't necessarily need fortunes. You just need enough to pay decent wages. System Shock didn't have THAT long a development cycle. I guess around 2 years or something - and in that time they made everything from scratch themselves - though the engine itself is probably an evolution of the one they used in Ultima Underworld. But the Shock engine would almost be enough - just with updated textures and some added fancy bump-mapping and what not. I know it's not that easy, but we're talking about what's theoretically possible.

I'm all for not re-inventing the wheel - but sometimes it can actually be the cheaper alternative. I think the primary reason most developers license engines these days is NOT because of costs involved with developing a new one - but because the budgets are so big, they save time buying something and changing it where needed - so they can release faster. It's not the quality of the engine that sells as much as it's the marketing, which is why they spend so much money on that aspect. Pretty sad, really.

This is another sign of how games are compromised, because the game has to fit the engine - and that places a limit on them even with the powerful engines of today.

Electronic Arts had supposedly production of SS3 back in 2006, not sure whatever happened to that....

I'm sure we'll see one eventually - and it'll probably be more Bioshock than System Shock.

I started System Shock, but I found it difficult to get past the graphics, some of it's ancient level design and the control system. It's a shame, because I could clearly see how well executed the story is.

I started System Shock, but I found it difficult to get past the graphics, some of it's ancient level design and the control system. It's a shame, because I could clearly see how well executed the story is.

I get the graphics and controls thing - but level design?

You gotta be kidding ;)

Agree, the level design is superb! Maybe you did not play long enough.

Back
Top Bottom