Zombie RPG - Interview @ Gamasutra

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Brian Mitsoda talks with Gamasutra about starting up an independant studio after working for larger outfits and, of course, their Zombie RPG. While they're still not revealing much about ZRPG, there are some interesting tidbits sprinkled throughout the conversation and it's well worth a read. On the Age of Decadence connection and graphics whores:
Your first announced game, a zombie RPG, is using the Age of Decadence engine made by Iron Tower Studio. While obviously this will allow you to spend more time on developing content for the game, do you think using someone else's engine will limit you?

Iron Tower’s tools let us build the game a lot quicker, but Iron Tower’s assistance in building the game speeds things up significantly. We had several discussions with ITS about their engine and their game and then designed our game to play to the strengths of what their tools do – of course, this doesn’t mean we’re making Age of Decadence with zombies, but that we are using bits like the character creation tool and dialogue editor to help generate assets quicker.

The Age of Decadence team has been transitioning onto our project as they finish their tasks on AoD. We’re partnering with them for our game, and so far, this has been working out great. We’ve also had no shortage of volunteers and contributors, and thanks to all those who offered to help or are assisting us.

To be precise, we’re actually not using the same exact engine as Age of Decadence. The graphics and lighting capabilities have been significantly bumped up for our game. I think as we release screenshots, people will immediately see the difference. We’re still a small team and we’re not going to compete with Unreal visuals or anything, but I think the quality will be “good enough” for most everybody but the filthiest of graphic whores.
More information.

I've just been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS as I read this. I'm loving the game, and it occured to me, that maybe AoD and ZRPG could make good DS games... Or I suppose I could just get a little netbook and achieve a similar effect..

Reminds me of the fake-RPG from Bloodlines radio commercials "Frankenstein: Breadlust"

I've just been playing Chrono Trigger on the DS as I read this. I'm loving the game, and it occured to me, that maybe AoD and ZRPG could make good DS games… Or I suppose I could just get a little netbook and achieve a similar effect..
Let's hope for "no".

Back
Top Bottom