Risen - Making Of Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A 10-minute "Making Of" video for Risen has been released by Deep Silver, along with an accompanying press release:
"Making Of" interview with Piranha Bytes

Deep Silver, the games label of Koch Media, a leading producer and distributor of digital entertainment products, today releases a video clip, almost 10 minutes long, featuring an interview with the developer Piranha Bytes.

During the interview, project director Björn Pankratz and game designer Mike Hoge explain some details about the background story, the concept of free exploration in a game world, the cultural localization of the English version, and why the hero remains nameless in the game.
You can stream it from Deep Silver's Youtube channel or download a 460Mb HD version.
More information.

A big plus that the ultimas are a great influence to their game design. Also a big plus that they explicitly state Risen is heavily focused on exploration and discovery. Looking forward to this game more and more.

In a related news. Looks like Risen definitely has that "being noob is hell" vibe of Gothic.
RPS has a quick impression on brief "preview build" game play, along with another link to the "making of" video and couple others.

SLIGHT SPOILER (this reminded me of certain somebody in Gothic I ;) )

There’s a great/horrible early quest in which an apparently helpful NPC asks you to come with him to fight something or other. You trot along willingly because, hey, cash! Fighting!

Then he beats the snot out of you and nicks all your stuff.

Last edited:
You can use the [ spoiler ] tag to hide it.

Aside from that … Aaah. :mellow:

Thanks for pointing that out... I didn't even realize that forums here had it... :blush:

There’s a great/horrible early quest in which an apparently helpful NPC asks you to come with him to fight something or other. You trot along willingly because, hey, cash! Fighting!

Then he beats the snot out of you and nicks all your stuff.

And that was really cool. I was really pissed at the guy and wanted to take my revenge in future. And I did… when he was at home in the night ;) That game was awsome.

Risen is actualy the real Gothic 4... A true successor to all the unique points of the series.. like the music of Kairo, which is making 50 % of the game atmosphere.

We are so very close to the great return in the "Gothic" world mates.. :)

A big plus that the ultimas are a great influence to their game design. Also a big plus that they explicitly state Risen is heavily focused on exploration and discovery. Looking forward to this game more and more.

Me too, already preordered it. Upgrading my graphic card and CPU just to play this game in max detail. (got money on my hands ;) )

Risen is actualy the real Gothic 4… A true successor to all the unique points of the series.. like the music of Kairo, which is making 50 % of the game atmosphere.

We are so very close to the great return in the "Gothic" world mates.. :)

I hope you're right. I'm still skeptical about a few things, like the fact that you can't swim.

Eh? I'm pretty sure it was stated that you can not swim in Risen.

You can. Someone from devs said if you swim too far from the island you get eaten by monster or something like that.

Maybe you use the levitation spell to get that far out, so it's not actually swimming?

I haven't paid attention to the swimming thing, since I simply don't care, so I wouldn't know whether or not it's in the game.

In Risen you can climb up on ledges, roofs and rocks. Unfortunately you cannot swim, but to compensate something new has been implemented: the ability of levitation via a spell that allows you to float. Using the levitation skill will consume energy, which is limited, so you'll have to take that into account while using it. Fortunately you are prevented from falling into areas where it makes no sense for you to be, so if you run out of energy you will not end up in a place you can't get away from anymore.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/show/article?articleid=126

You can. Someone from devs said if you swim too far from the island you get eaten by monster or something like that.
No you walk into the ocean and after something like 6 or 7 meters the monster appears.

Back
Top Bottom