Today is ...

... a day for eating tomato soup

1419: John the fearless was put (scared?) to death by the Charles-VII-of-France wannabe.
1509: Lesser judgmement day hits Istanbul.
1846: Elias Howe patents the sewing machine.
1858: "I'm hopeless in love with Pandora"
1963: 20 African-American enters public schools in Alabama
1967: Gibraltar votes to remain British in stead of becoming part of Spain. A strange decision - the weather is much better in Spain than in Britain. If you like sunny weather (which I don't btw).
1972: The US basketball team is pwnd by the Soviets, their first loss in an international basketball match.
2008: The Large Hadron Collider at CERN is powered up. Only to be powered down again soon after. I think it's running now, producing lots of tiny black holes. I'm sure of that because there are a lot of things I just can't find these days.

Mandish Pandey, Indian cricketer was born on this very day in 1989.

5870 results for Pibbur today. That's with safe search filter off. If I turn it on, I get 7000 results.

… earliest day on which which "Programmer's day" may fall (the 256th day of each year).

1229: Rumour (somewhat fuzzy) has it that an Aragornese army, commanded by James 1 of Aragorn wants to pwn Moria.

1940: Lascaux caves "discovered" by teenagers. Lascaux caves are famous for its wall paintings, which some claim are very old. Hah. We know better. It's graffiti. Did anyone search the perp… eh … youths for sprayboxes? No? Thought so.

1933: Leo Szilard conceives the idea of a nuclear chain reaction, while out walking, waiting for traffic lights to change. Now Newton inveted gravity after being being hit by a falling apple (I know it isn't true). Chain reactions were induced by red traffic lights, What next: Cold fusion inspired by listening to Britney Spears' "Hit me baby, one more time"?

1958: First integrated circuit.
1959: Our first meeting with the Ponderosa.

Birthdays:
1931: Bilbo Baggins, aka Ash.
1952: Neal Pert of Rush fame.
1968: Former cricketer Richard Snell. Former? I thought cricket matches lasts so long that you really can't quit.

Popularity of Pibbur is down from 5870 to 5860.

… a day for eating tomato soup

Good idea :)

1967: Gibraltar votes to remain British in stead of becoming part of Spain. A strange decision - the weather is much better in Spain than in Britain. If you like sunny weather (which I don't btw).

Maybe they're like you and preferred being in a rainy place... (It's a shame you can't move the place you live in.... yet!)
And you don't like the sun ?

2008: The Large Hadron Collider at CERN is powered up. Only to be powered down again soon after. I think it's running now, producing lots of tiny black holes. I'm sure of that because there are a lot of things I just can't find these days.

Hehe :)

5870 results for Pibbur today. That's with safe search filter off. If I turn it on, I get 7000 results.

You get more results from turning the filter on ?

More a question of being lazy and evil. Muahahaha.

1830: The first intercity railway opened. From Liverpool to Manchester, possibly also back again.
1831: John Bull 1, the locomotive, started operating.
1981: John Bull 1, the locomitive, was successfully restarted at the age of 150. Which is a world record.
2010: John Bull 1, the locomotive, is still on display at Smithsonian's National Museum of American History. The one at the Railroad Museum of Pensyllvania is a fake, .. eh .. replica.
1835: HMS Beagle reaches Galapagos
1968: Zond 5 became the first space craft to travel there (around the moon) and back again.

1254: Marco Polo.
1890: Agatha Christie
1946: Tommy Lee Jones

7 320 000 results for Corwin on Google

... Hobbit day. At least it should be, because

1937: "The Hobbit" was published. Now, where would we be without that (and the sequel)? RPG's without hobbits/halflings, that is! Maybe also no/fewer goblins, elves and dwarfs - at least there would be far more games in a non tolkien setting. JRR, we hate you. NOT!

Say no more!

There are now 6600 results for pibbur on google. And 9 850 000 results for Tolkien.

… the european day of languages (EU). Since we're outside EU I'll continue writing in English.

1580: Francis Drake completes his around the world trip, in 80 days.
1810: Jeab Baptiste Bernadotte, aka Carl Johan becomes king-wannabe in Sweden. And Norway eventually (ptui!)
1908: Ed Reulbach becomes the one and only pitcher to to throw two shutouts in one day. This cricket becomes weirder and weirder.
1973: Concorde first non stop flight across the Atlantic, in slightly less than 11 days
1983: Stanislav Petrov identifies a possible incomming us. nuclear missile as something else.

Notable first time appearances:

1889: The boozy beggar that could drink you under the table.
1930: Joe Brown. He became the first climber to reach the summit of Kanchenjunga (8586 m). Impressing. Even more impressing: He's still with us.
1944: Which charming TV star was born on this day? BANK! Anne Robinson, that is the correct answer.
1948: The bankers Olivia, Newton and John.
1956: Sarah Connor
1969: Abbey Road.
1988: Mark Simpson. He does not play the saxophone.

Pibbur is now recognized by 6900 web sites or parts of web sites.
Bill Gates is admired by 27 800 000

1973: Concorde first non stop flight across the Atlantic, in slightly less than 11 days
Some fuel tank that plane must have had.

1983: Stanislav Petrov identifies a possible incomming us. nuclear missile as something else.

Yeah ... THAT incident. I was shocked when I read in a newspaper how close we had actually been to WWIII !

just another day

1605: Swedish army pwnd by Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth
1777: Lancaster, Pensyllvania becomes the capital of the US.
1822: Rosetta stone deciphered (hieroglyph part), according to Jean-Francois Champollion.
1988: Founding of "National Leage for Democracy@Burma", led by Aung San Suu Kyi
2008: First spacewalk by a chinese astronaut (Zhai Zhigang).

Notable births:
1905: E=mc^2
1908: Ford T model.
1949: Flag of the People's Republic of China
1964: Warren comission report.
1968: Hair
1983: GNU
1998: Google

Notable deaths:
1937: Bali tiger.
1997: Mars Pathfinder

… Torment day. Yay!

1066: Norman invasion of the UK. Busy year for the brits. It's no more than 4 days since they pwned the Norwegian king Harald III, now it's time for speeding south to face William The Conqueror, who evidently, based on his name actually succeded.
1542: J. R. Cabrilho arrived at the San Diego wannabe in what was to become California. I wonder if JR knew where he was?
1708: Peter the great pwns the Swedes
1777: Lancaster, Pennsylvania is not the capital of the US
1889: The meter is (according to Wikipedia) defined as "the distance between two lines on a standard bar of an alloy of platinum with ten percent iridium, measured at the melting point of ice" (I know the current definition is based on something a little bit speedier than frozen platinum). And still the americans measure length in something much more yeeeechy.
1891: Please pay attention Corwin: Central Uruguay Railway Cricket Club is founded.
1928: A. Fleming notices a bacteria-killing mold growing in his lab.
2008: Falcon 1, the first private spacecraft is launched into orbit

Some notable appearances:
551 BC: Confucius
1792: Johann Georg Hiedler. *sighs*
1925: Seymour Cray
1961: Quentin Kawananakoa, king wannabe of Hawaii
1967: Moon Unit Zappa. She is not married to Bobby Brown.

Together Barack Obama and I have 72 207 620 results on Google.

… internasjonal oversettelsesdag

1791: Premiere performance of the magic flute
1791: And in Paris good ol' Robespierre was hailed as incorruptible patriots for 2 years, 10 months and 2 days
1882: First commercial hydroelectric powerplant
1901: Patent of the vacuum cleaner, predicted by Gorge Washington
1938: The well-known cricketeer Babe Ruth hits his 60th home run in a season
1938: German is allowd to occupy Sudetenland in Czechoslovakia, thus ensuring wored peace.
1941: Holocaust: The Babi Yar massacre.
1972: The well-known cricketeer Roberto Clemens makes his 3000th hit.

Notable births:
1957: <AnnoyingVoice>The Nanny</AnnoyingVoice>
1961: BBC Radio 1
1968: Boeing 747. I've travelled to Toronto in it, but I'm still convinced that this machine cannot fly!
1978: Candice Michelle. She's not real.
1980: Ethernet.
2004: Giant squid

Notable deaths:
1888: 2 victims of Jack the Ripper
1995: James Dean
1994: Aldwych tube station
2004: AIM-54 Phoenix missile

Pibbur is now recognized by 8 080 google references, approximately 10 times as popular as his real life alias.

EDIT: Real life sister has 12000 results and is thus 50% more popular than pibbur and 1400% more popular than the real one. From this day she is officially persona non grata!

… German Unity day and 20 years ago since FRG and DDR joined forces. Happy birthday Germany United! No time for games for Alrik and Jaz and the other German PC's here today.

52BC: Caesar pwns the gauls under Vercingetorix, except for one small village and the immediate surrounding area.
42BC: Mark Anthony and Octavian pwnd Brutus, at them time armed with a dagger.
1795: Napoleon Bonaparte makes his first piece of cake.
1935: Italian forves under Emilio De Bono pwns Abyssinia, where the streets have no name.
1957: Allen Ginsberg's "Howl and Other Poems" is officially regarded as not obscene.
1995: O J Simpson is officially regarded as not a murderer
1985: Flight of Atlantis
2003: Tiger Montecore pwnd Roy Horn. Both survived.
2008: $700 bailout bill

Other notable births:

1889: Carl von Ossietzky
1929: Yugoslavia
1943: V2 rocket
1954: Stevie Ray Vaughan
1973: Neve Campbell. It's scary how fast time moves.

2003: Tiger Montecore pwnd Roy Horn. Both survived.

I thought it was vice versa ?

But anyway - both survived. ;)

Happy birthday Germany United! No time for games for Alrik and Jaz and the other German PC's here today.
Um, I played Plants vs. Zombies today. And Doom 2.

Back
Top Bottom