Dragon Age 2 - 103m of Cut Scenes

Oh whatever. I'm looking forward to this game. It looks great.

I just find it odd that some folks simply complain about the horrible, sorry state of CRPGs on a forum about CRPGs. There are other hobbies and interests than CRPGs, you know. You might find something you like if you look around.

Oh, and I thought it was 103 metres ! :lol:

Ovenall, This game looks GREAT ! Im wondering if im looking at the same DA2 as you are ? Its true lots of complain and complain and complain. But that is what the internet is for .

Oh whatever. I'm looking forward to this game. It looks great.

I just find it odd that some folks simply complain about the horrible, sorry state of CRPGs on a forum about CRPGs. There are other hobbies and interests than CRPGs, you know. You might find something you like if you look around.

Everyone has there opinions. But you see the problem with opinions is there is always one person who cant let things go. Seen it plenty of times one person states there opinion and 100's bash him for it. :slap:

That's exactly what I was thinking about when I wrote that. ;)

That voice actor needs to be hired immediately. He is awesome.
HIGHLY awesome! I think I'm going to hear him every time I see the word "pepole" again.

P.S. And kudos to Axman for correctly spelling "lose" - I think it's spelled "loose" about 50% of the time out there in the wild, wild internet.

Don't forget about "be-ah-cu-as". The video was already hilarious, but that drove it over the top.

I don't see how 103 minutes is a long time. Spread out over 30-70 hours, that's not a big deal.

I swear I think this forum is more for people bitching about games than for people who like them. And this particular game isn't even out yet!

I have to agree. The general tone has changed around here over the years: If you go through old threads you'll see far more positive comments. Those comments were typically made in 2006, 2007, 2008 and so on - the RPG genre may have changed since the "golden age" of the late 90s/early 2000, but it certainly has not changed since 2005 and beyond.

RPGWatch as a site is not old enough to have seen any "decline" in the RPG genre - the posters are certainly old enough, but any so-called decline happened long before this site was even launched. There hasn't been any major changes in the genre for years now.

As for BioWare? I very much doubt Dragon Age 2 is going to be any more streamlined or dumbed down than KotOR or Jade Empire - they were also story driven games with fairly simple combat mechanics and limited exploration. BG1, 2 and Dragon Age: Origins are the only games BioWare has developed that did not follow the "story driven experience" recipe.

I very much doubt Dragon Age 2 is going to be any more streamlined or dumbed down than KotOR or Jade Empire - they were also story driven games with fairly simple combat mechanics and limited exploration.

The problem is that, for most people, those aren't the games that they'll be comparing it to.

RPGWatch as a site is not old enough to have seen any "decline" in the RPG genre - the posters are certainly old enough, but any so-called decline happened long before this site was even launched. There hasn't been any major changes in the genre for years now.

I do not get this. So, we should only comment on last five years of gaming? if I joined in December last year do I only post about games released since then?

As for BioWare? I very much doubt Dragon Age 2 is going to be any more streamlined or dumbed down than KotOR or Jade Empire - they were also story driven games with fairly simple combat mechanics and limited exploration. BG1, 2 and Dragon Age: Origins are the only games BioWare has developed that did not follow the "story driven experience" recipe.

But we compare DA2 to DA:O, not KotOR or other Biowares. Party based tactical combat - that was the meat of this game, and it certainly is being dumbed down, judging by daily trickle of news.

Also, for me at least, it`s pretty hardly story-driven too. First game in ages that didn`t let me finish some side quests because "I had more pressing matters to attend elsewhere" . Or something.

Ehm, the entire industry has been in steady decline for a long time - from my point of view.

It's not a thing that happened, it's a thing that is happening.

All available information points towards Dragon Age 2 being more streamlined than Dragon Age, and that's what many of us don't appreciate. Jade Empire and KotOR came out long after development of Dragon Age started - which means you can't make any useful conclusion based on Dragon Age.

We have to see what they're doing NOW, and not what they did a long time ago. So far, we've seen this progression: KotOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 - and if that doesn't tell you what they're about, I don't know what will.

I'm certainly convinced that Dragon Age 2 won't be the kind of game Dragon Age was, but we can't really be certain before it's released.

But I'm not too invested in it, because I have other games to focus on. Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2 are hardly on my radar. I'll pick them up eventually, but I'm not really excited by them.

The problem is that, for most people, those aren't the games that they'll be comparing it to.

Exactly, that's the whole point. The games today get compared to games in the late 90s, but so were the games we discussed 5 years ago, yet people weren't all "doom and gloom" back then. Why? Pick any game within the last 5 years and it won't do any better or worse compared to Planescape, MM or Baldur's Gate than any game within the last 2 years. There's no reason to be any more negative today than 5 years ago. Things haven't changed one bit.

I do not get this. So, we should only comment on last five years of gaming? if I joined in December last year do I only post about games released since then?

No, read what I wrote above. It all boils down to gaming not having changed since RPGWatch was launched. There's no reason we should be more negative today than we were years ago. You need to go back a full decade to visit a different era of gaming, where tactical combat/turn based was common and so on.

But we compare DA2 to DA:O, not KotOR or other Biowares. Party based tactical combat - that was the meat of this game, and it certainly is being dumbed down, judging by daily trickle of news.

Also, for me at least, it`s pretty hardly story-driven too. First game in ages that didn`t let me finish some side quests because "I had more pressing matters to attend elsewhere" . Or something.

Certainly, but most posts around here keep going on about how BioWare is going down the drain, selling out, becoming some kind of monster. The reality is - tactical games do not represent the majority of BioWare's games. Dragon Age is an exception, not the rule - every other game they've released since Baldur's Gate 2 has been heading in this direction, with or without EA.

Ehm, the entire industry has been in steady decline for a long time - from my point of view.

It's not a thing that happened, it's a thing that is happening.

I don't see a steady decline. Games today are no better or worse than games were years ago. I'd really like to see titles from 2006 that were better than games released recently - Risen, Dragon Age, Fallout: New Vegas. Any titles between Night of the Raven and New Vegas that indicates a steady decline.. ?

If the games in the late 90s were 9 out of 10, and games today are 7 out of 10, there has to be games at 8 out of 10 in the middle somewhere if there's supposed to be some sort of steady decline and not just the end of the "golden era".

I certainly can't find any such titles.

All available information points towards Dragon Age 2 being more streamlined than Dragon Age, and that's what many of us don't appreciate. Jade Empire and KotOR came out long after development of Dragon Age started - which means you can't make any useful conclusion based on Dragon Age.

We have to see what they're doing NOW, and not what they did a long time ago. So far, we've seen this progression: KotOR, Jade Empire, Mass Effect, Mass Effect 2 - and if that doesn't tell you what they're about, I don't know what will.

That's my whole point: They've been doing this for a long time. In fact, everything after Dragon Age development started has been this way - this is not new. It's not recent. It has nothing to do with EA or consoles or dumbing down or any other doom and gloom prophecy out there - it's simply what BioWare has been doing for the last 5+ years: Story driven games, not tactical games or games with lots of exploration.

You may not agree with the direction (I know you probably don't, since you're a fan of open world RPGs, and that's perfectly fine), but that doesn't change the fact that the direction has remained the same for a long time now.

There's no reason to be shocked *now* - that's a bit late. People seem to treat KotOR as if it was BRILLIANT but DA2 as if it's going be a dumbed down console piece of crap. That's hypocrisy at its finest, considering how simple and streamlined KotOR really is (don't get me wrong - I like KotOR a lot, but there's a fat chance I'll also like DA2).

What I'm trying to say is: The general attitude has become significantly worse in the last year or two. I simply can't find a reason for that. I honestly try to see what people are going on about, but I keep failing - the overall quality has remained steady for quite some time now, ever since the "golden age" of RPGs ended.

Last edited:
No, read what I wrote above. It all boils down to gaming not having changed since RPGWatch was launched.

That part of my reply was meant as "ironic". I didn`t really ask.

Also, statement that gaming didn`t change in last five years is invalid. Maybe not on the scale compared to 10 years ago - but thats logical, isn`t it?

Certainly, but most posts around here keep going on about how BioWare is going down the drain, selling out, becoming some kind of monster. The reality is - tactical games do not represent the majority of BioWare's games. Dragon Age is an exception, not the rule - every other game they've released since Baldur's Gate 2 has been heading in this direction, with or without EA.

It is an exception - hence the uproar. It was meant (promoted) as successor to Baldur`s Gate with all the landmarks of (semi)hardcore Rpg. It - sort of - delivered. It`s sequel is being streamlined and it`s totally unnecessary, since DA:O was a success. I see this as a reason for complaining.

Now, it might be totally fruitless, but as mentioned few posts back isn`t this one of internet`s grander purposes? :)

It is an exception - hence the uproar. It was meant (promoted) as successor to Baldur`s Gate with all the landmarks of (semi)hardcore Rpg. It - sort of - delivered. It`s sequel is being streamlined and it`s totally unnecessary, since DA:O was a success. I see this as a reason for complaining.

Now, it might be totally fruitless, but as mentioned few posts back isn`t this one of internet`s grander purposes? :)

If this sort of discussion only appeared in DA2 threads I'd agree with you: It's silly to change a game as excellent as DA. They should stick to that recipe.

However, this discussion appears in *every single thread* related to BioWare. In fact, it appears in pretty much every single thread on the whole site nowadays. It wasn't like this a few years ago, people weren't whining as much. I simply want to find out why. I suspect people are getting old and grumpy. :D

However, this discussion appears in *every single thread* related to BioWare. In fact, it appears in pretty much every single thread on the whole site nowadays. It wasn't like this a few years ago, people weren't whining as much. I simply want to find out why. I suspect people are getting old and grumpy. :D

But nowadays we`re under bombardment form DA2 PR machine -hence most news relates to this. I agree it gets a bit tedious, but myself being a culprit cannot really throw stones. Must...stop...posting...in DA....arrghh :)

As for "it wasn`t like this" theory - c`mon man, it ALWAYS was like this and it will be because complaining is part of human nature. Just have a look at some olden forums when Baldur`s Gate announced getting rid of turn based combat :)

But nowadays we`re under bombardment form DA2 PR machine -hence most news relates to this.

I must agree to this particular point :

If you suddenly read news on a speciic issue in your local newspapers day by day,
THEN you might come to the believe that "there is more happening in that direction than before".

However, this could be a TRugschluß, too : It is NOT that much more happens - it is instead rather the FOCUUS of the newapapers which makes to APPEAR more news on that issue in the newspapers ...

You can have similar thing if - like in my case about a year before - you suddenly have severe problems with your leg - and suddenly you see many more people roaming around with leg problems, too !

Or - another example : Go into a different country. suddenly, you are surrounded with cars with license plates so different from those of your own town/country ... And this the importance of license plates of your own town/country vastly increases ... You might even feel inclined to talk to complete strangers ! - From your own country or town, of course.

The importance of something is ALWAYS context-bound and therefore subjective. It increases or decreases along with the context.

More EA PR on a certain game or series of games -> importance increases subjectively.

It's like with DLC : DLC is relatively new, hence its importance is higher than normal.
Maybe in 10 years, DLC has become something common and totally normal ... And THEN the marketing might abandon DLC at all in favour to new attention-creating concepts ... Like the "extended versions" of songs on vinyl singles in the 80s ...

However, this discussion appears in *every single thread* related to BioWare. In fact, it appears in pretty much every single thread on the whole site nowadays. It wasn't like this a few years ago, people weren't whining as much. I simply want to find out why.
There´s simply a lot of things that can piss people off about Bioware.
Retarded marketing, retarded previews (that´s more a gaming press thing but, well, they mostly just parrot what Bioware told them), retarded DLC schemes, retarded changes to DA2. Most Bioware related articles are "bad news" in one way or the other so there´s always something to bitch about.
This may change once DA2 is released, but frankly I doubt it´ll be a pleasant surprise as was DA:O´s case. As I see it, DA:O was a really good "modern oldschool" title and smart way to develop a sequel would be to build upon its foundations, refine them and address the most common criticisms (filler combat, rather dull itemization, for example) in a way Drakensang 2 did it. Most of DA2´s changes don´t seem to be smart. I say "smart" because I´m quite sure they´d sell more copies that way.

Exactly, that's the whole point. The games today get compared to games in the late 90s, but so were the games we discussed 5 years ago, yet people weren't all "doom and gloom" back then. Why? Pick any game within the last 5 years and it won't do any better or worse compared to Planescape, MM or Baldur's Gate than any game within the last 2 years. There's no reason to be any more negative today than 5 years ago. Things haven't changed one bit.

I can't speak for others, but I don't think it matters when it started. It matters that it happens, and I certainly intend to keep lamenting that which I don't like.

The reason you might sense more doom and gloom, is that people are getting increasingly tired of the trend. Bioware used to be one of THE best developers around for people who enjoy deep and challenging gameplay. As I said, there's a perception that their games have steadily worsened in that way.

I don't follow your logic that something must have happened recently to bitch about it. It's an ongoing trend that shows no signs of stopping.

Personally, I think the worst thing that could happen would be for the remaining enthusiasts to forget what the genre used to be - and to support the greed and creatively bankrupt direction of the current AAA industry. I can promise you that I have no intention of ever "letting go" - as long as I think there's the potential for change.

No, read what I wrote above. It all boils down to gaming not having changed since RPGWatch was launched. There's no reason we should be more negative today than we were years ago. You need to go back a full decade to visit a different era of gaming, where tactical combat/turn based was common and so on.

I don't agree with that at all. I'm not clear on when it started, exactly, but I personally see a game like Doom to be one of the very first steps towards what I so loathe about the industry. I have no idea why you think we should stop commenting on the state on the industry, because it began worsening so many years ago. As long as it goes on, it's 100% relevant.

I don't see a steady decline. Games today are no better or worse than games were years ago. I'd really like to see titles from 2006 that were better than games released recently - Risen, Dragon Age, Fallout: New Vegas. Any titles between Night of the Raven and New Vegas that indicates a steady decline.. ?

I think there's a steady decline. Risen and New Vegas are exceptions made by smaller companies still dedicated to the art. Dragon Age was a strong game, but I personally find it inferior to everything they did before Jade Empire - and development started way back when they were still about art. Mass Effect 2 is a good example of a decline from the first game, which was a decline from KotOR.

Bioshock is a huge decline in the genre since System Shock 2 - even though there are many years between them. Games have to actually come out before you notice these things.

Dead Space is a huge decline from the same game.

Most people consider Oblivion a significant decline from Morrowind - and I will agree that many important things are VERY inferior in Oblivion.

If the games in the late 90s were 9 out of 10, and games today are 7 out of 10, there has to be games at 8 out of 10 in the middle somewhere if there's supposed to be some sort of steady decline and not just the end of the "golden era".

Ehm, I'm talking about my personal opinion - not official scores. Personally, I would have rated System Shock 2 9/10 - and Bioshock and Dead Space 7/10. Dragon Age would be 8/10 - with BG 9/10. Mass Effect 8/10 and KotOR 10/10. Mass Effect 2 7/10.

That's my whole point: They've been doing this for a long time. In fact, everything after Dragon Age development started has been this way - this is not new. It's not recent. It has nothing to do with EA or consoles or dumbing down or any other doom and gloom prophecy out there - it's simply what BioWare has been doing for the last 5+ years: Story driven games, not tactical games or games with lots of exploration.

Why are you so upset that people are still not happy about it? Why is it not ok for people to dislike the direction?

It's fine that you're not seeing the decline and that you are fine with the industry, and you're welcome to support Bioware - so why isn't it ok the other way around?

You may not agree with the direction (I know you probably don't, since you're a fan of open world RPGs, and that's perfectly fine), but that doesn't change the fact that the direction has remained the same for a long time now.

Yes, the direction is the same = downhill. I didn't like it when it started, and I don't like it now.

There's no reason to be shocked *now* - that's a bit late. People seem to treat KotOR as if it was BRILLIANT but DA2 as if it's going be a dumbed down console piece of crap. That's hypocrisy at its finest, considering how simple and streamlined KotOR really is (don't get me wrong - I like KotOR a lot, but there's a fat chance I'll also like DA2).

I like to wait until it's released, but if DA2 gives me anywhere near the same level of experience as KotOR did - I'll personally buy you a large cake.

What I'm trying to say is: The general attitude has become significantly worse in the last year or two. I simply can't find a reason for that. I honestly try to see what people are going on about, but I keep failing - the overall quality has remained steady for quite some time now, ever since the "golden age" of RPGs ended.

I'm not sure I've really noticed.

I think you've enjoyed what Bioware has done, and you have no problem with what they're doing. This is probably why you have such a hard time when people disagree.

I think it's about the ability to see beyond oneself. Personally, I can see how many people could truly enjoy the cinematic aspects of modern Bioware games (I do myself) - and I think their stories remain quite strong. They're great at the visual spectacle and the overall presentation. So, if you're not big on intricate gameplay, challenge, or evolving mechanics - then I can certainly see why you'd love Bioware games.

I don't like what they've been doing to gameplay structure and I think their games get worse for every bit of streamlining they're adding to avoid upsetting those who don't care to really engage in the gameplay fidelity.

Last edited:
There´s simply a lot of things that can piss people off about Bioware.
Retarded marketing, retarded previews (that´s more a gaming press thing but, well, they mostly just parrot what Bioware told them), retarded DLC schemes, retarded changes to DA2. Most Bioware related articles are "bad news" in one way or the other so there´s always something to bitch about.
This may change once DA2 is released, but frankly I doubt it´ll be a pleasant surprise as was DA:O´s case. As I see it, DA:O was a really good "modern oldschool" title and smart way to develop a sequel would be to build upon its foundations, refine them and address the most common criticisms (filler combat, rather dull itemization, for example) in a way Drakensang 2 did it. Most of DA2´s changes don´t seem to be smart. I say "smart" because I´m quite sure they´d sell more copies that way.
I totally agree. DAO had several problems, but I liked it anyway. I know that creating a brand new fantasy world, with detailed lore, and making a new ruleset is not easy, and Bioware had to do that. But this is why I thought that the sequel will be a fantastic game, the devs made a solid foundation with DAO, they just had to improve, and expand the game a little in DA2. Instead they are making so drastic changes, that I feel less and less interested in the game. Developers always say that they are listening to their fans. Well it seems that Bio is listening to the wrong fans.

Everyone's as free to complain as much as they want.

People are holding up a non-existent game to some standard they set in their heads based on games from the past. Frankly, IMO, the Gothic games are action games with some RPG components. Baldur's Gate series are tactical games with story and role play elements. I vastly prefer BG, and think Gothic 1&2 are the most over-hyped games ever mentioned on this forum, with lousy twitch-controls and crummy graphics. And G3 was the buggiest mess I've ever installed and tried to play.

Mass Effect 1&2 were fun to play, extremely slick, and I really enjoyed them. They are not pure RPGs, but EVERY RPG from the past had its own stupidities and problems, and in one way or another weren't "True" RPGs.

So feel free to complain about games that you won't even experience for another ten months, and compare these future gaming fantasies to whatever your favorite games were from the past.

Back
Top Bottom