Another one may bit the dust. Or to buy or not to buy

@Dartagnan: I can agree with much of what you say.

And actually for me to throw in the "not argument" was a bit meaningless, because we've covered what's art and what's not that long ago. And I think, if I want to get into that debate again I should probably start a completely new thread. Adding another subthread here would only be confusing.

Says pibbur, who also don't want to add a subthread about whether he should have posted what he did.

Last edited:
@Dartagnan: I can agree with much of what you say.

And actually for me to throw in the "not argument" was a bit meaningless, because we've covered what's art and what's not that long ago. And I think, if I want to get into that debate again I should probably start a completely new thread. Adding another subthread here would only be confusing.

Says pibbur, who also don't want to add a subthread about whether he should have posted what he did either.

I don't know what it is, but you seem wiser each time you agree with me.

I don't know what it is, but you seem wiser each time you agree with me.

Yes. I've noticed that.

I should probably be a bit worried now. Kamelåså!!!

BTW: Regarding the OP. Did I buy a smartphone or a cheap Nokia? Yes, I did.

If they were thought-provoking, they would be art, and since games shouldn't be art (according to Pibbur), such things shouldn't exist!

If they were thought-provoking, they would be art, and since games shouldn't be art (according to Pibbur), such things shouldn't exist!

Eh……………..

What I meant to say is that I don't consider games in general as art, not that they can't be or shouldn't be. Among mainstream games PS:T comes very close.

But, as I said, I regretted bringing the art thing into the thread, and I don't want to continue discussing that here, we can do that in another thread.

Says Pibbur, who likes cats and don't want to throw them at anybody.

BTW: Regarding the OP. Did I buy a smartphone or a cheap Nokia? Yes, I did.

So are you going to tell us whatever it was a smart phone or a dumb nokia that you bought ?

To me, pure art is pure subjective expression - though it can be a shared vision expressed by more people. Typically, though, there will be a single person with one vision that others need to agree with and understand fully, if it's to be pure.

We can agree that commercial games can never be entirely pure, just like commercial anything can never be entirely pure. But I've seen games that are definitely close enough, and something like Planescape is a good example.

But whatever word you use, I want that to be the focus.

Not that it will be, but I want that anyway.

To put it another way, I want the dream as untarnished as it can be. When one person, or a tight team, has a dream - I want them to follow that dream, and get as close as they can possibly get.

So, unless the dream is to be rich in itself - putting money first can never be the same as reaching the dream. So what we get is something else.

I'm not going to say that the thing that is not the dream is better or worse, but just that I simply don't want that.

I want people to show me their dreams - not what they think they can profit from.

People who want to get rich with what they do bore the hell out of me, and I'd just as soon scratch my ass than see their work.

A majority of all artworks in the world, including the ones that are now seen as priceless art, were made in a commercial viewpoint. This includes the work of the most famous artists in the world. You think the Sistine Chapel was painted or built for free ? You think the David in Firenze was sculpted for free ?

Almost no art is pure. People make a living out of it and some love doing it. Games are the same. People do it for their living, and while some loving doing it, them making money out of it isn't a bad thing. That's how the world goes.

It's a very naive viewpoint to suggest or think that when people do something because they want to become rich and that then means the art is worthless.

A lot of artists still now do their art and try selling it, this includes pictures and paintings and sculptures and.... It's not because they try to sell it that it isn't art anymore. Some people want to live of their art rather than do a meaningless job in their opinion.

With games it's the same. In the games industry you need people to sponsor you, because it's not a one-person job to make a whole game. So when you need to feed a 100 people then you can't just do whatever you want and expect it to just work. It doesn't mean that it's any less good or artsy.

A majority of all artworks in the world, including the ones that are now seen as priceless art, were made in a commercial viewpoint. This includes the work of the most famous artists in the world. You think the Sistine Chapel was painted or built for free ? You think the David in Firenze was sculpted for free ?

Almost no art is pure. People make a living out of it and some love doing it. Games are the same. People do it for their living, and while some loving doing it, them making money out of it isn't a bad thing. That's how the world goes.

It's a very naive viewpoint to suggest or think that when people do something because they want to become rich and that then means the art is worthless.

A lot of artists still now do their art and try selling it, this includes pictures and paintings and sculptures and…. It's not because they try to sell it that it isn't art anymore. Some people want to live of their art rather than do a meaningless job in their opinion.

With games it's the same. In the games industry you need people to sponsor you, because it's not a one-person job to make a whole game. So when you need to feed a 100 people then you can't just do whatever you want and expect it to just work. It doesn't mean that it's any less good or artsy.

You're making a lot of assumptions. If you want to understand where I'm coming from with this, you should really try not to read things into it that I haven't put there myself.

First of all, I never said commercial products/productions were bad - I said I'm not interested in them. I specifically pointed that out, actually.

When you remove the option to express yourself subjectively, it doesn't mean you remove your talent or your ability.

Now, I'm not going into "fine arts" as an expert - because I'm clearly not. I have no real basis for comparison when it comes to those works. I haven't even seen the Sistine Chapel - so I can't comment at all.

People might have a different definition for art than I do - and I don't accept something as "art" because it's referred to in that way by a lot of people. I need to see it for myself and to understand something about it.

I have no idea what motivation the artist behind the Sistine Chapel had, and whether he was free to create his art according to his own vision. If his vision was not compromised by demands of the audience (or the investors) - then it being commercial has no bearing, really. But I can't know.

Even if it was compromised, it wouldn't mean it wasn't beautiful - as I take it it is. Because talent is still present, even under compromised conditions.

Just like the movie Avatar - which is obviously beautiful. A lot of extremely talented and passionate people were behind those wonderful visuals - but the vision was not theirs - really. It was the vision of James Cameron. Now, whether you like the movie or not - I have to say I don't believe for a second it was made from a pure artistic vision. I think it was made because Cameron wanted to make his mark yet again, and show the world how great CGI can look given the right funding - but somewhere along the way, he forgot what movies are all about - which is the story and the characters. Something like that can impress a lot of people - obviously - but it does nothing for me. I think it's incredibly boring and hollow. Maybe he had a pure vision in terms of CGI - but the movie as a whole was what I consider commercial trash.

I'm not sure why you think I'm calling it worthless, though, but I'm not. I'm telling you what I care about and what I don't care about. Obviously, commercial products have value to a lot of people, or they wouldn't be standing in line to pay for them.

It's not exclusive to commercial products - though. It's just that it's one of the most common reasons for compromising a pure vision. Just like seeking popularity, or simply "making a mark" can be a way to compromise your vision.

That's not to say such things can't co-exist - because they can. It's fully possible to be commercial and popular, and yet STILL retain "pure" artistic expression - it's just extremely rare.

Then you talk about selling art AFTER it's been made - and that's something very different. If we assume the art was made without commercial interest - as in not specifically to sell it afterwards - then the act of selling in itself has no bearing on the purity of the art.

But there's no measurement of purity of art. You really have no way of knowing. It's a feeling you get, when you experience something. Be it a movie, a game, or even a painting. You can only take a guess as to why each decision was made - and what the motivation was.

My wish is for people to be motivated only by the vision of the work itself. Not the desire to be popular or the desire to be recognised - or to be rich. I'm still not saying you can't make quality with those desires prevalent - I'm saying I'm not interested in such things.

I think of it like I think of honesty.

When you sit down with someone and you talk about something personal, there are ways to communicate. One way is the forthright and fully honest way - and that is the way I ALWAYS prefer - no matter what. So, if I ask someone if I smell bad, or if I'm too this or too that - I always want the honest answer. I know it can hurt, and I know it can be extremely unpleasant - but that's all I ever want.

Some people prefer other things, and some people prefer people to always be pleasant or to present their points of view in ways that are easy to digest - or comfortable. Some people think that the message can be communicated fully without having to be fully honest and blunt. I don't, though.

It's the same way with art. I don't want an experience specifically designed to be comfortable, or to give me something that isn't exactly what it's supposed to be. If something is meant to be really, really hard - then make it hard. If something is supposed to be incredibly unpleasant - then make it unpleasant. Don't care that the audience might find it too much, or that they might be turned off having to think - or whatever. Do exactly what you want to do.

About games, it's important to remember that I specifically pointed out that games can never be pure. So, it's not like it's a surprise to me that they have to make a living - or that they need financial support to make them happen.

I'm talking about degrees, and when something becomes too commercial to have the core of the vision intact.

Just like we're now hearing about Dragon Age 2. They're talking about why they removed stats from the creation process, and why they're speeding everything up. Things like that.

Now, I can't actually KNOW they're doing it for commercial reasons. Listening to the developers - it sounds like they truly believe the game is the better for it. But what do they really mean by the game being better? Are they talking about the game reaching more people and selling more copies, or are they talking about their vision of the game as they once dreamed about as designers.

That's for the player and the audience to decide.

You're making a lot of assumptions. If you want to understand where I'm coming from with this, you should really try not to read things into it that I haven't put there myself.

First of all, I never said commercial products/productions were bad - I said I'm not interested in them. I specifically pointed that out, actually.

When you remove the option to express yourself subjectively, it doesn't mean you remove your talent or your ability.

Now, I'm not going into "fine arts" as an expert - because I'm clearly not. I have no real basis for comparison when it comes to those works. I haven't even seen the Sistine Chapel - so I can't comment at all.

People might have a different definition for art than I do - and I don't accept something as "art" because it's referred to in that way by a lot of people. I need to see it for myself and to understand something about it.

I have no idea what motivation the artist behind the Sistine Chapel had, and whether he was free to create his art according to his own vision. If his vision was not compromised by demands of the audience (or the investors) - then it being commercial has no bearing, really. But I can't know.

Even if it was compromised, it wouldn't mean it wasn't beautiful - as I take it it is. Because talent is still present, even under compromised conditions.

Just like the movie Avatar - which is obviously beautiful. A lot of extremely talented and passionate people were behind those wonderful visuals - but the vision was not theirs - really. It was the vision of James Cameron. Now, whether you like the movie or not - I have to say I don't believe for a second it was made from a pure artistic vision. I think it was made because Cameron wanted to make his mark yet again, and show the world how great CGI can look given the right funding - but somewhere along the way, he forgot what movies are all about - which is the story and the characters. Something like that can impress a lot of people - obviously - but it does nothing for me. I think it's incredibly boring and hollow. Maybe he had a pure vision in terms of CGI - but the movie as a whole was what I consider commercial trash.

I'm not sure why you think I'm calling it worthless, though, but I'm not. I'm telling you what I care about and what I don't care about. Obviously, commercial products have value to a lot of people, or they wouldn't be standing in line to pay for them.

It's not exclusive to commercial products - though. It's just that it's one of the most common reasons for compromising a pure vision. Just like seeking popularity, or simply "making a mark" can be a way to compromise your vision.

That's not to say such things can't co-exist - because they can. It's fully possible to be commercial and popular, and yet STILL retain "pure" artistic expression - it's just extremely rare.

Then you talk about selling art AFTER it's been made - and that's something very different. If we assume the art was made without commercial interest - as in not specifically to sell it afterwards - then the act of selling in itself has no bearing on the purity of the art.

But there's no measurement of purity of art. You really have no way of knowing. It's a feeling you get, when you experience something. Be it a movie, a game, or even a painting. You can only take a guess as to why each decision was made - and what the motivation was.

My wish is for people to be motivated only by the vision of the work itself. Not the desire to be popular or the desire to be recognised - or to be rich. I'm still not saying you can't make quality with those desires prevalent - I'm saying I'm not interested in such things.

I think of it like I think of honesty.

When you sit down with someone and you talk about something personal, there are ways to communicate. One way is the forthright and fully honest way - and that is the way I ALWAYS prefer - no matter what. So, if I ask someone if I smell bad, or if I'm too this or too that - I always want the honest answer. I know it can hurt, and I know it can be extremely unpleasant - but that's all I ever want.

Some people prefer other things, and some people prefer people to always be pleasant or to present their points of view in ways that are easy to digest - or comfortable. Some people think that the message can be communicated fully without having to be fully honest and blunt. I don't, though.

It's the same way with art. I don't want an experience specifically designed to be comfortable, or to give me something that isn't exactly what it's supposed to be. If something is meant to be really, really hard - then make it hard. If something is supposed to be incredibly unpleasant - then make it unpleasant. Don't care that the audience might find it too much, or that they might be turned off having to think - or whatever. Do exactly what you want to do.

About games, it's important to remember that I specifically pointed out that games can never be pure. So, it's not like it's a surprise to me that they have to make a living - or that they need financial support to make them happen.

I'm talking about degrees, and when something becomes too commercial to have the core of the vision intact.

Just like we're now hearing about Dragon Age 2. They're talking about why they removed stats from the creation process, and why they're speeding everything up. Things like that.

Now, I can't actually KNOW they're doing it for commercial reasons. Listening to the developers - it sounds like they truly believe the game is the better for it. But what do they really mean by the game being better? Are they talking about the game reaching more people and selling more copies, or are they talking about their vision of the game as they once dreamed about as designers.

That's for the player and the audience to decide.

I agree with most of your points. The problem I see is that it seems like you're putting yourself as the only definition of art, even if that may not be your intention.

It looks like whatever you do not see as art is not art.

Example: When I look at what people call modern art with just black paintings or red paintings with a green dot in the middle, I don't see that as anything beautiful, but I still understand it to be art. It might not be my kind of art and it might not be my kind of painting, but it can still be art.

Another kind of example is wine: a LOT of people do not like wine, and cannot tell the difference between any kinds of wines, while others could even tell you where the wine came from from a simple tasting. You not liking wine does not mean wine is not good. It just means you do not like wine.

Back to our discussion. You not liking Avatar and thinking it all is Cameron's vision - which for some reason you do not consider art - does not make it into non-art. It is purely one opinion amongst thousands.

You might not like the Sistine Chapel and think it is purely a bunch of biblical nonsense, but that does not mean it is not art.

My point is art is not something as definable as other things and it's not because you do not like one piece of art or another that makes it less of an art.

I think the CGI people for avatar are artists, and even the people who wrote the story are artists. The difference is, I think the people who did the CGI are good artists, while the people who wrote the story are crappy ones. The whole movie is a piece of art though and while graphically, I find it magnificent with lots of detail, the storyline was cliche and a piece of emotional garbage.

Same with games....

Games with lots of story and choices might be great pieces of art, while simple Bejeweled games lesser ones. I still consider both art. All games serve their purpose. While I can play a game like Gothic for a continuous and immersive experience, there is no way I can play it and then leave it for a few days or weeks and come back to it with the same level of immersiveness.
Bejeweled on the other hand, I could play for twenty minutes, stop and then play again in a month.

As has been said before, gamers always keep talking about the end of good games, but it has not happened and probably won't.
It's not like games like Diablo are new... It's been 11 years now since Diablo II came out and we're still seeing quality games coming out. Of course, the bigger developers want more money, so they can provide for their families and buy bigger houses with gardens for their kids to play in, but how can you blame them ?

People who do not have families or people where game-making is just a hobby are still making quality games as is witnessed from Vogel's games, Battle for Wesnoth, ...

And still all of it is art. Again, it's not because you do no enjoy or like it that it is not art. It's like saying that because you do not like vegetables, that it automatically disqualifies it from being food.

Also, I might assume a lot and I hope you do not take it as a bad thing, but sometimes reading between the lines is good and sometimes it's bad. I'm just taking your posts and trying to fill in what I think you're saying and if I'm completely off point then tell me.

However you saying your definition of art is not the same as others leads me to question what else you are saying.
I had a discussion with Couchpotato before where he said we are still in a recession, both in the US and in the EU in general.

However, he was making up his own definition of a recession. While the common definition is two successive quarters of decline, which not only means there is no way to know if we are in a recession still or not until the numbers come in from the last two quarters it also meant that from the numbers we do have we could not have possibly been in a recession since the last quarter ended up in growth - albeit a small one - which means no recession.

I told him then you can say a tree is not a tree, but it does not make you right.
While you could say the paintings of Picasso and Rubens are not art, you would go against the general definition of art and as such you would be wrong.

I'm not trying to tell you what to like or not to like, but to accept that there are things in the world you might not like that would still be art.

I hope you understand what I mean.

I agree with most of your points. The problem I see is that it seems like you're putting yourself as the only definition of art, even if that may not be your intention.

It looks like whatever you do not see as art is not art.

Well, not really. But I have to try and understand art - and I have come up with my own definition. If I don't agree with others - then I can't really accept what they think is art - is art as I understand it.

But I think I do agree with most people, it's just that most people haven't really bothered to strictly define art. That's because it's incredibly hard to define - and it took me a while to come up with a definition that fit for me.

Example: When I look at what people call modern art with just black paintings or red paintings with a green dot in the middle, I don't see that as anything beautiful, but I still understand it to be art. It might not be my kind of art and it might not be my kind of painting, but it can still be art.

According to my definition, it would be impossible to really determine if a green dot in the middle was done according to a personal vision - or just to provoke a reaction, or whatever "artists" have fun with.

So, I wouldn't be able to say if it was art or not.
Another kind of example is wine: a LOT of people do not like wine, and cannot tell the difference between any kinds of wines, while others could even tell you where the wine came from from a simple tasting. You not liking wine does not mean wine is not good. It just means you do not like wine.

But you're talking about the objective versus the subjective.

All my opininons are based on my subjective viewpoint - and I take it as a natural assumption that none of us can define what's objectively good.

So, if I say something is bad - it actually means that I THINK it's bad.
Back to our discussion. You not liking Avatar and thinking it all is Cameron's vision - which for some reason you do not consider art - does not make it into non-art. It is purely one opinion amongst thousands.

I'm really saying I doubt it's art according to my own definition. If you think it's art or if others think it's art - then it's art to them. Not to me, though.

My point is art is not something as definable as other things and it's not because you do not like one piece of art or another that makes it less of an art.

I've made it definable to me. I'm actually a little proud of that, because I've struggled with a good definition, and I haven't really encountered another definition that makes sense to me.

So, once again, I can definitely call something less of an art - but it would just be according to my own opinion.

I think the CGI people for avatar are artists, and even the people who wrote the story are artists. The difference is, I think the people who did the CGI are good artists, while the people who wrote the story are crappy ones. The whole movie is a piece of art though and while graphically, I find it magnificent with lots of detail, the storyline was cliche and a piece of emotional garbage.

We can't know this at all. You think this and you think that. I think this and I think that.

It's just a theory. Avatar strikes me as complete commercialism made for the sake of money and popularity. Maybe I'm wrong - but that's what it seems like to me.

Same with games….

Games with lots of story and choices might be great pieces of art, while simple Bejeweled games lesser ones. I still consider both art. All games serve their purpose. While I can play a game like Gothic for a continuous and immersive experience, there is no way I can play it and then leave it for a few days or weeks and come back to it with the same level of immersiveness.
Bejeweled on the other hand, I could play for twenty minutes, stop and then play again in a month.

You're not really coming up with any definition.

Are you saying that everything is art - or that all games are art?

Then we don't even need the word.

Why don't you come up with an example of a game that's not art - according to your understanding.

As has been said before, gamers always keep talking about the end of good games, but it has not happened and probably won't.
It's not like games like Diablo are new… It's been 11 years now since Diablo II came out and we're still seeing quality games coming out. Of course, the bigger developers want more money, so they can provide for their families and buy bigger houses with gardens for their kids to play in, but how can you blame them ?

Well, I don't want to get into a guessing game about why investors and the top-people of AAA companies want to sell ever more millions of copies - and why developers are hardly ever the ones ending up with the money.

Let's just say I think it has less to do with providing for their families than you do, and more to do with simply lining their pockets and just growing bigger and bigger - because it's the human way of "evolving".

People who do not have families or people where game-making is just a hobby are still making quality games as is witnessed from Vogel's games, Battle for Wesnoth, …

And still all of it is art. Again, it's not because you do no enjoy or like it that it is not art. It's like saying that because you do not like vegetables, that it automatically disqualifies it from being food.

We're back to you considering everything art. I still don't think that makes sense - and I don't understand the word at all in that case. We might as well just call it games - instead of art.

Also, I might assume a lot and I hope you do not take it as a bad thing, but sometimes reading between the lines is good and sometimes it's bad. I'm just taking your posts and trying to fill in what I think you're saying and if I'm completely off point then tell me.

I would say it's a natural thing that's hard to avoid. But I think the less you can manage to assume, the more you can hope to understand.

However you saying your definition of art is not the same as others leads me to question what else you are saying.
I had a discussion with Couchpotato before where he said we are still in a recession, both in the US and in the EU in general.

However, he was making up his own definition of a recession. While the common definition is two successive quarters of decline, which not only means there is no way to know if we are in a recession still or not until the numbers come in from the last two quarters it also meant that from the numbers we do have we could not have possibly been in a recession since the last quarter ended up in growth - albeit a small one - which means no recession.

I told him then you can say a tree is not a tree, but it does not make you right.
While you could say the paintings of Picasso and Rubens are not art, you would go against the general definition of art and as such you would be wrong.

I'm not trying to tell you what to like or not to like, but to accept that there are things in the world you might not like that would still be art.

I hope you understand what I mean.

Well, I like to begin most discussions with definitions - if I don't think they're clear at the outset.

I mean, I wouldn't need to define water to anyone - but art is something that I don't think there really is a consensus of. Sure, we have examples of work that the vast majority of the world considers art - but that's not a definition.

I have to understand what I'm talking about - before I can make any kind of evaluation. So, that's why I've worked to come up with my own definition, and that's why I tend to bring it up whenever the debate relates to such a thing.

That way, I hope people understand what I mean.

Is it because your thread has gone way off-topic ? :p

Probably not.

OK here it is: I bought a HTC Desire HD. I wanted an android phone, and I wanted a large screen (4.3 inches for the HD) which makes it a bit easier to read for a 50+ year oldie. It is fairly expensive, but not as expensive as the iPhone (here in Norway, don't know how it is elseweyr).

So far I've only scratched the surface (not literally), it comes with a 226 page user manual. I've downloaded a simple notes editor, Mah Jongg, and a version of Go, which I've always liked, also on my PC. I'm looking for a simple database or an XML engine to handle structured information.

Pibbur, I'd very much like to have your opinion again on the HTC desire in a week or two, when you have played a bit with it. I'm planning to buy a smart something too, but I'm not sure if I'm going to go phone or tablet (I just love the idea of putting an oversized gizmo like the galaxy tab to my ear in public).

To the art lovers, just a quick thought. It may not be a good idea to compare classical art and modern art since the meaning of the word and the practice behind it has changed.

The Sistine Chapel is indeed a work of art, but the vision of the artist is less valued than his mastery of his craft (and when you know how frakking difficult it could be to get the color right at this time, or the fact that perspective was the new shit, it explain quite a lot). That doesn't lessen it's cultural and historical value, its artistic importance, and it doesn't mean that it can't make people cry.

Modern art, however, is more about
- the exploration of the limits of the media (think of "White on white", more commonly known as "you know, that weird painting that's all white. Is that even a painting ?"),
- provoking an unexpected reaction in a given society, either forcing it to have a long hard look at it self (Duchamp put a toilet upside down, calls it "Fountain" and a frakking museum exhibits it. What does it says about the artist, about the museum, and about you, having paid the entry fee, trying to make sens of it) or
- making said public part of the actual piece of art (sorry, no example for that one … I can only remember that piece representing, if I remember right, a giant hairy vagina on the wall. And the tiny cam that the artist had put there, recording the reactions of the public, which would constitute, afterwards, the real work).

Anyway, I'm getting carried off from my "quick" two cents. I thought it could help you in your musings.

Last edited:
OK here it is: I bought a HTC Desire HD. I wanted an android phone, and I wanted a large screen (4.3 inches for the HD) which makes it a bit easier to read for a 50+ year oldie. It is fairly expensive, but not as expensive as the iPhone (here in Norway, don't know how it is elseweyr).

This one is learning….. soon you'll be running spotify too… *insert evil MUHAHAHAHHAHA, laugh here*

D.S. Hope you'll be satisfied with my recommendation! Otherwise I'd take it personal.

This one is learning….. soon you'll be running spotify too… *insert evil MUHAHAHAHHAHA, laugh here*
That would be "Another one bites the dust 2". Which of course will never materialize.

D.S. Hope you'll be satisfied with my recommendation! Otherwise I'd take it personal.
As long as I still can use my ergometer bike....

As long as I still can use my ergometer bike….

Well, given that you live in Bergen... it could be a bit tough to run the bike outside with all the mountains and rain..... so why not. After all is much better to the alternative of not exercising. Besides you already bought it.... so it would be a real waste not to use it.

Back
Top Bottom