Another one may bit the dust. Or to buy or not to buy

What I want to useit for:

1. Internet access in Wifi areas.

2. Cricket World Cup 2011 - Pro

3. Information that's useful to access wherever I may roam. There are databases available, including one based on XPath.

4. Taking Notes: Books/DVD's and such I want to examine closer/read reviews before buying. Because:
- I tend to forget the things I want to remember
- I tend to forget/lose any pen I may bring with me
- I tend to lose my umbrellas
- I don't tend to lose gadgets.

5. Some books. I would for instance like to have a Bible available.

A friend of mine have an app on his iPhone that can identify music played/heard almost everywhere.

And. I. Even might consider. Spotify! No promises.

I'll still bring my iPod Classic with me as well. Hey, I've got a lot of space for gadgets on my belt.

You haven't seen the Torch, I presume… The screen is much bigger compared to their old models.

Assuming it is what you linked to

stunning display

* 3.2" HVGA+ 480x360 pixel color display
* 3.18" (measured diagonally)
* Light-sensing, proximity-detecting screen
* User-selectable font size

Stunning indeed… LOL. what a joke… here is the HTC Desire HD:s screen:

Screen 4,3 "
Resolution 480 pixel x 800 pixel

3. Information that's useful to access wherever I may roam. There are databases available, including one based on XPath.

4. Taking Notes: Books/DVD's and such I want to examine closer/read reviews before buying. Because:

This is something you can do with more or less any smartphone…… except perhaps the BB, but I don't think anyone would consider buying that 2011 anyway.

andorid 2.3 is just superior plus you get good apps for free instead of paying $1 for a stupid lamp or clock.

What? Don't just spout lies to make your argument! Nobody is helped by that! Whether Android 2.3 is superior over iOS 4.2.1 is debatable, but I think Apple has apps nailed...

P.S. My stupid lamp app was *gasp* completely free. ;)

What? Don't just spout lies to make your argument! Nobody is helped by that! Whether Android 2.3 is superior over iOS 4.2.1 is debatable, but I think Apple has apps nailed…

P.S. My stupid lamp app was *gasp* completely free. ;)

P.P.S. Every iPhone and iPod comes with a clock app. A pretty good one, too.

Well, my point was that many apps that are free on android costs money on the iPhone. But I exaggerated a bit… and the lamp and clock app was funny sample.. however I am sure there are not free ones too for the iPhone :p Otherwise you can buy iBurp or iFart… very useful apps :D

Also for example flash is still very popular.... as an example.. but there are lots of things which makes android 2.3 better. We can go into a detailed discussion if you want... but I don't think it will matter for pib bur given his requirements on the phone.

What I find most interesting, is that people have no issue paying for crap, as long as the prices are low.

I bet most iPhone owners pay for what amounts to a few fullprice games, for their endless row of crap - each month.

This is a very new discovery for many greed-people, and developers are going crazy everywhere - with the opportunity for millions of sales. All they have to do is make a minimal effort for a few months, and you have a game that's both "neat and cool" and "almost" as good as a real game. The only trick is that you sell it at a very low price - and you'll have a million zombies buying it out of sheer curiousity and the opportunity to show neat things to other people.

It's like DLC with some minor variation.

Like that game "Infinity Blade"… Ohhhh my. It looks good like Unreal, and yet it uses HOTSPOT movement and has about as much gameplay as minesweeper. You hack, slash, and hotspot move and that's a GAME????

Sigh!

Easy, easy. I am sure there are plenty of dumb people (on any platform) that blow their money on useless Apps, but nobody is required to do so. There are tons of free aps on the iStore, as well as Xmas and daily giveaways - and there are many that are not crap. I have e.g.:
A choice of three free alarm clock apps (with full music alarm support, weather display, several independent alarms etc.)
A free offline map of Europe app (open street map based), and various online/offline GPS trackers, and my favorite, a free jogging/exercise tracker
A choice of three free, but quite excellent, weather/forecast Apps
Free facebook, shazam, TV and radio apps/clients and various free news clients
Free Google translater, free speech-to-text
A free guitar tuner
A free Doodle App that the kids love
Free laboratory timer/stopwatch
Free password keeper
Free scientific calculators and unit converters, level, flashlight, barcode scanner
Free public transport itineraries and ticket apps
Free traffic news
Free WiKi clients
Free Bird and Tree Encylopedias
Free versions of Filetransfer Apps that suffice for my purposes
37 games, of which I paid for maybe 5 or 6 (up to 4€ or so but most were ~1€), the free games included nice stuff like Undercroft (permanently free), Baphomets Fluch (Broken Sword), Geared 1+2, Galyxy on Fire , and some assorted tower defense, physics puzzle, and other stuff that is fun for a short diversion.

I'd estimate I probably spent about 20-30€ on Apps, spread over 2 years, and I really have everything I need. Of those I bought, I feel I got my moneys worth. The Appstore really can't be constructed as a negative regarding the Apple platform, IMHO, quite the contrary.

I agree that the lack of flash support is one of the main disadvantages of the iPhone though - that puts some unnecessary restrictions on internet browsing, especially since many gaming sites and many videoplayers rely on it. Not a huge deal, but still annoying. The other negatives from my POV is the relatively limited Outlook (MS Exchange server) support (for synching tasks, I needed to buy a separate App, and certain calendar features are not supported).

Edit: there is one testament to stupidity on the Appstore though that always amazes me: The "mirror App". It is very obviously fake - it just puts a frame on the otherwise black display and you can use the reflection of the display - obviously you don't need an App for that. In fact, pre G4 (which has a second front-facing camera), it should be obvious that the iPhone was physically incapable of making a "real" mirror App. Yet this thing has been in the top sold lists forever, despite having 1 stars and tons of negative comments. I have suspicions which demographic is responsible for that, but I'll keep that to myself… ;)

Last edited:
I'm not blaming developers for taking advantage of that - it's just annoying, because creative and genuinely talented people are moving to that platform - because they'll have a much easier time developing for it, and getting the limited finances covered to do cute little things.

Obviously, those with a true taste for evolution will bore easily doing toy-games - but it wastes time and effort better spent elsewhere.

But, whatever, it's just something people have to go through for a number of years - before they start wasting money on something else.

Otherwise you can buy iBurp or iFart… very useful apps :D

Absolutely! And I'm sure they exist for Android as well. :D I don't really know the state of the Android Marketplace so I can't really get into a discussion about it, but I guess Apple's AppStore has more apps in it… There are probably free alternatives to these paid apps. I also enjoy iPhone games, whatever DArtagnan says about small screens and touch screens. :p I think there is no doubt that Apple is targeted more by major game developers than Android currently is.

Also for example flash is still very popular…. as an example.. but there are lots of things which makes android 2.3 better. We can go into a detailed discussion if you want… but I don't think it will matter for pib bur given his requirements on the phone.

It depends on what you want/need. My experience with Android is limited, so I can't go into detailed discussion here, neither. I love tweaking stuff, so Android interests me. However, in the end I lazied out and went for the known and locked in iPhone. Plus, since iOS 4, pretty much everything that matters to me has become possible.

And in a sense I *am* indeed locked it because of all the apps I bought for iOS. But that happens to Android, too, I imagine, only that there are more devices coming out with Android.

It's all a silly argument. See what works best for you and get that. Forum dwellers cannot make that decision for you. :) Get some hands-on time with some of the best of both platforms!

Now, whether you *need* a smartphone is a whole different kind of talk. :D I sure like being able to access something anywhere if I 1) can't remember the name of that movie, 2) want to know what the artist of the song that is playing is again, 3) don't remember what topic X or Y was about again, 4) when my train leaves, etc. It's easy and fast. You can get to the information in other ways, but it's more cumbersome. Smartphones make life easier (or more complex, depending if you can't handle the constant stream of information and don't have ADHD.).

What I find most interesting, is that people have no issue paying for crap, as long as the prices are low.

I bet most iPhone owners pay for what amounts to a few fullprice games, for their endless row of crap - each month.

It's easier to take a chance if it's only .79eurocent. It's not all crap. Final Fantasy III (DS version) is announced for iPhone. It will probably cost 1/4 of what it cost on DS. (Yes, I like FF, okay?) Some 0.79 are what you call "cute" and that's fine, too. If it amuses me for 30 minutes, it's done its job, right?

I do, however, get collectoritis whenever something goes on extreme sale. Gotta get 'em all ;), but then again, usually it's high quality stuff that goes for .79ct.

Yeah. There is high-quality stuff on iOS. Deal with it!

This is a very new discovery for many greed-people, and developers are going crazy everywhere - with the opportunity for millions of sales. All they have to do is make a minimal effort for a few months, and you have a game that's both "neat and cool" and "almost" as good as a real game. The only trick is that you sell it at a very low price - and you'll have a million zombies buying it out of sheer curiousity and the opportunity to show neat things to other people.

So what is wrong with all this? It's dirt cheap and you're having fun with it. Problem?

Like that game "Infinity Blade"… Ohhhh my. It looks good like Unreal, and yet it uses HOTSPOT movement and has about as much gameplay as minesweeper. You hack, slash, and hotspot move and that's a GAME????

Some games will appeal, some not. Infinity Blade does not appeal to me, so I didn't buy it. Problem?

Ever seen Aralon? Haven't spend a lot of time in it, but it's pretty cool to have a full, open-ended RPG world to travel around in on your phone. So yeah, that's worth a few bucks for a lot of people.

I really don't see the problem here.

Sigh!

and my favorite, a free jogging/exercise tracker

Oh, yeah! I would have quit running a long time ago if I did not have RunKeeper to track my training! So screw that, it's not "useless"!!

So what is wrong with all this? It's dirt cheap and you're having fun with it. Problem?

Problem = time spent developing crap != time spent developing quality.

Some games will appeal, some not. Infinity Blade does not appeal to me, so I didn't buy it. Problem?

Problem beyond me thinking it's ridiculous and means a downward spiral for gaming? I suppose not :)

Ever seen Aralon? Haven't spend a lot of time in it, but it's pretty cool to have a full, open-ended RPG world to travel around in on your phone. So yeah, that's worth a few bucks for a lot of people.

Yep, I own it. It's crap. As in, no, it's not really crap - it just isn't a good open world game. It's the novelty of the concept being possible on the platform that people like - not the actual game. The actual game, if we ignore the platform, is utter crap.

I really don't see the problem here.

Sigh!

I know, and the problem is? :)

Problem = time spent developing crap != time spent developing quality.

It's not crap. It just isn't AAA+ 3 million budget PC title. *roll eyes*

Problem beyond me thinking it's ridiculous and means a downward spiral for gaming? I suppose not :)

Haven't played it. Perhaps it's a ton of fun. At least some people are having fun with it. I'm sure a good deal of them won't like your RPGs. :)

And I don't think the AppStore contributes significantly to a perceived decline of quality high-end titles.

Yep, I own it. It's crap. As in, no, it's not really crap - it just isn't a good open world game. It's the novelty of the concept being possible on the platform that people like - not the actual game. The actual game, if we ignore the platform, is utter crap.

I had fun the hour that I played it. That should be enough. Did you play Chaos Rings?

I know, and the problem is? :)

People spend a small amount of money. People have fun with purchase. Nothing of value is lost. You see a problem. That's the problem!

Nothing of value is lost! Or do you have measurable evidence that the AppStore is responsible for overall crappier or fewer high-end high-quality high-budget games coming out?

Don't make me throw cats at you!

It's not crap. It just isn't AAA+ 3 million budget PC title. *roll eyes*

I'm talking about gameplay and game design - not production values.

Haven't played it. Perhaps it's a ton of fun. At least some people are having fun with it. I'm sure a good deal of them won't like your RPGs. :)

And I don't think the AppStore contributes significantly to a perceived decline of quality high-end titles.

What do other people matter when discussing my opinion? I'm not saying Tetris is an objectively and universally bad game - I'm just saying I find it incredibly boring and pointless.

Millions don't agree with me.

What's the problem?

I had fun the hour that I played it. That should be enough. Did you play Chaos Rings?

So the fantastic platform gave you a whole hour of enjoyment? That's incredible!

Chaos Rings?

People spend a small amount of money. People have fun with purchase. Nothing of value is lost. You see a problem. That's the problem!

You don't understand the long-term implication of these games being so profitable, along with facebook games and so on?

That's the problem!

Nothing of value is lost! Or do you have measurable evidence that the AppStore is responsible for overall crappier or fewer high-end high-quality high-budget games coming out?

I don't need evidence when speaking of the obvious. As of this moment, money makes the world go 'round in terms of the gaming industry. Seeing as that's the case, the vast majority of financial backers will move to where they gain the most money, for the least effort.

It's like 2+2.

It's 4, right?

Don't make me throw cats at you!

Please don't!!!!!!!!!!!

Frrankly, from my point of view most of this concern things I (and by extension we) don't need to have an opinion about.

Hmm. I really can't answer that. But there are things I decide not to have an opinion about, and whether people should make apps or buy apps is one of them.

I don't think its that obvious, really. Most of the developers of iPhone games do not, afaik, have a stake in the PC gaming market. I don't know any case of an awesome PC indie developer leaving the PC behind to do crappy iPhone games. It's mostly an additional market I would think, so I don't believe it cuts into the PC gaming market that much, less than traditional consoles, at least.

Hmm. I really can't answer that. But there are things I decide not to have an opinion about, and whether people should make apps or buy apps is one of them.

This isn't about what they should or shouldn't do - but about what they're doing and what's the result.

What people should or shouldn't do, is something I don't have the stamina to care about.

That said, I don't think I'm capable of deciding not to have an opinion. It's just there - and then I have to figure out why and if it's reasonable.

Must be kinda nice to just be able to block them out.

I don't think its that obvious, really. Most of the developers of iPhone games do not, afaik, have a stake in the PC gaming market. I don't know any case of an awesome PC indie developer leaving the PC behind to do crappy iPhone games. It's mostly an additional market I would think, so I don't believe it cuts into the PC gaming market that much, less than traditional consoles, at least.

Traditional consoles are less of an issue, because they're better suited as a gaming platform. At least, in my opinion.

Obviously, it's not an issue at all - if one thinks these games are good, and it's the right direction for gaming.

I think it's pretty obvious, though, that this is a trend that's not going to stop - and there are already several prominent people working on games like these - as well as facebook games.

Again, not a problem if one thinks it's good to have more games of that nature, and less of another nature.

This last point is what's 100% inevitable if one understands logic.

But do note that fewer games doesn't mean no games - or that we won't have great games for the PC.

It's the trend and the direction I'm worried about - not the market conditions as they are at this very moment.

It's about the long-term implication of this being so profitable.

Look to DLC content to understand why. Think back to the first DLC you can remember, and I bet you'd have people in the past saying the exact same thing:

"People pay a little and get a little content, what's the problem?"

Of course, there are still people saying that - but I think to most old-school enthusiasts - it should be pretty clear what the problem is.

Ask yourself this:

Do you think DLC has had any effect on the amount of real expansions we're seeing today?

Any effect at all?

This isn't about what they should or shouldn't do - but about what they're doing and what's the result.
Ok. I would assume that "what they should or shouldn't" would be a consequence of that.

That said, I don't think I'm capable of deciding not to have an opinion. It's just there - and then I have to figure out why and if it's reasonable.

Must be kinda nice to just be able to block them out.

It's probably more about what I spend time and mind on. I do react to/make immediate opinions about a lot of things. But in many cases I decide to override my immediate reactions and not paying attention to them.

What I want to useit for:

A friend of mine have an app on his iPhone that can identify music played/heard almost everywhere.

And. I. Even might consider. Spotify! No promises.

I'll still bring my iPod Classic with me as well. Hey, I've got a lot of space for gadgets on my belt.

1. Any Smartphone
2. You are punished for saying the name of the unnameable.
3. Don't know
4. iPhone has a good notes functionality, very simple to use and browse through. It can also get configured to sync with some of the mail clients like Gmail methinks.
Other smartphones probably also have similar capabilities.
5. I wouldn't recommend reading a whole book on the iPhone, even with 20 year old eyes, but I wouldn't on anything smaller than a 13 inch screen if it has to be on a screen rather than a real book.
The iPhone has at least 25 Bible apps with probably the free ones being harder to navigate than the paid ones, but I haven't checked them out. If this is really important I can download a few and tell you about the different possibilities.
There are several apps for books I think too, but see what I said above about reading books.

On the other hand, my girlfriend can spend hours reading forums and articles on her iPhone, so I guess it's a matter of preference, but I don't like using it that way and even my lazy ass prefers getting out of bed to get on RPGWatch than reading everything in bed.

There's even an app that read business cards and inputs all the info immediately into your contacts :)

Back
Top Bottom