Homefront From John Milus

skavenhorde

Little BRO Rat
The writer for Apocalypse now and Red Dawn has helped in making a new kind of FPS. One with a setting about as far fetched as Red Dawn. This game deals with N. Korea taking over S. Korea and then most of Asia. Finally setting its sights on the U.S.

Sounds ludicrous, but at least it's not a shooter with a WW2 or Middle East setting.

I loved Red Dawn. I thought the whole idea of USSR invading America and catching us with our pants down was extremely unlikely. Still a great movie.

This game looks good. Hopefully it's be longer than 4 hours. If it is I'll grab it, if not I'll skip it.

Here's a few trailers for it:

E3 09 Debut Trailer

E3 10 Backstory

Kotaku's "Crisis in Korea Has Video Game Echo" article

Kotaku's "A Video Game That Dares to Make Americans Angry" article ….lol, like that's hard to do :lol:

Last edited:
I wasn't aware that Apocalypse Now and Red Dawn had been written by the same person, although Apocalypse Now wasn't totally original material.

Trailer looks pretty good. I'll keep an eye on this one. :)

Technically he's a co-writer for Apocalypse now and Red Dawn, but since he directed Red Dawn as well I think he might have had more influence over that one. Just a guess.

He could have just helped to make a Red Dawn game and I would have bought it in a flash, but I guess changing the big bad guy seems appropriate.

He's also wrote a Homefront Novel.

Interesting fact about Apocalypse Now... the story it's based upon, 'Heart of Darkness', was written around 1899.

I still think Apocalypse Now is one of the most intense, atmospheric movies I've ever seen.

Red Dawn was entertaining, but nothing close to AN.

Im waiting for the game to get negative press due to all the stuff going on in N.Korea right now.We don't need another gaming riot on tv.

Negative press drives up sales. ;)

I loved Red Dawn. I thought the whole idea of USSR invading America and catching us with our pants down was extremely unlikely. Still a great movie.

I loved Red Dawn. I was about 11 and my brother was about 15 when it came out. Our Dad had been a drill sergeant in the Army, so we pretty much grew up with ever sentence from him beginning "WHEN you go in the Army...."

We were convinced that WWIII was an inevitability and we'd end up fighting in it. To us, Red Dawn was not so much a movie as a training manual! :)

Milius made lots of movies. He also directed 'Conan the Barbarian', wrote '1941' and 'Farewell to the King', among others.

The latter bombed, I guess, at least over here... when I dragged a friend down to the cinema to see it on the last day of week 1, the lady at the ticket stand shouted across the hall to her colleague: 'Schorsch, somebody wants to see movie No. 3! Crank up the radiator, quick!' Another hint was that the projectionist himself came down to the auditorium to watch the movie... he probably hadn't seen it before.

Ah yes, IIRC they reused the dead bodies from Apocalypse now in Conan. Or some such :).

Hubby loved Red Dawn back then. While I liked Apocalypse, Conan, Farewell to the King, 1941, The Wind and the Lion, Roy Bean and even Dirty Harry, I hated Red Dawn because I hated those kids.

As for Home Front: at first I thought 'hey, it's been a while since Milius was active. Perhaps he needs money?' But then I found out that he had also written 'Rome' for HBO. I loved Rome, and it wasn't produced too long ago... so I was probably wrong there. I hope for a great game - I mean, it was possible to make great games from IMO mediocre (at best) Tom Clancy novels, so it should be even more possible to make a great game with the help of a guy who wrote great flicks and TV series. I hope :gorath:

He wrote ROME? I loved that series then it gets pulled. Same with Deadwood. I hate it when HBO gets a great series going and then cuts it short.

I'm just glad for a different kind of FPS. I haven't bought any for awhile now because they are so short. Maybe with a decent writer behind this thing it might have some meat on its bones instead of these poor skinny half-starved POS games they've been releasing lately.

Yes, I'm talking about COD: Black Ops and that other one. It's all you read about now and I couldn't care less. All the reviews say they're around 5 - 6 hours to finish. That isn't even a full day of gaming for me :D

Last edited:
He was one of the 'inventors' of Rome, and he produced and wrote some of the episodes IIRC. When researching a bit I discovered that IMDB also credits him with writing Dirty Harry's famous 'make my day' line ^_^.

As for shooters... the CoDs I played were far too rail shooter/arcade-y for my taste. All that, and then only six hours? No sir, not my game at all. RtCW was about that length which was FAR too short for a decent game. Don't get me wrong, I liked RtCW, but short games are somewhat disappointing. The newest shooters I played are from - what, 2007? And I found them rather shortish. So I can't help myself but replay the same old games over and over again...

As for shooters… the CoDs I played were far too rail shooter/arcade-y for my taste. All that, and then only six hours? No sir, not my game at all. RtCW was about that length which was FAR too short for a decent game. Don't get me wrong, I liked RtCW, but short games are somewhat disappointing. The newest shooters I played are from - what, 2007? And I found them rather shortish. So I can't help myself but replay the same old games over and over again…

I'm pretty sure RtCW is longer than six hours. I replayed it last year, right before playing the new Wolfenstein game, and it took me 2-3 days to finish. I'm guessing around 8 gaming hours.

The very first CoD and its expansion were great, probably my favorite WWII based shooters. I agree about the more recent games in the series, not enough gameplay for your money in single-player. Modern Warfare 1&2 were fun while they lasted though.

I know I finished RtCW in three days, and I usually don't have more than 2 to 3 hours a day for gaming, so I assumed it was between 6 and 9 hours. But even if it was a 12-hour game, it would be rather short IMO.

He wrote ROME? I loved that series then it gets pulled. Same with Deadwood. I hate it when HBO gets a great series going and then cuts it short.

I'm just glad for a different kind of FPS. I haven't bought any for awhile now because they are so short. Maybe with a decent writer behind this thing it might have some meat on its bones instead of these poor skinny half-starved POS games they've been releasing lately.

Yes, I'm talking about COD: Black Ops and that other one. It's all you read about now and I couldn't care less. All the reviews say they're around 5 - 6 hours to finish. That isn't even a full day of gaming for me :D

I didn't know he wrote Rome.Also I thought I was the only one who enjoyed Rome.There isn't many games were you see how the civilians have to coup with a war.As for the game the more info I get the more I cant wait to play and I'm mostly a rpg and rts player.

How refreshing with something new...... couldn't they have made something a tiny bit more realistic though?

Any time I read the title of "Homefront", I must hink of Mr. Bush and the fight against terrorists.
I wonder whether it was intentional ?

On of my favorite shooters Operation Flashpoint was atleast unofficially based on Red Dawn. Homefront will propably be a more traditional shooter though.

I loved Red Dawn. I was about 11 and my brother was about 15 when it came out. Our Dad had been a drill sergeant in the Army, so we pretty much grew up with ever sentence from him beginning "WHEN you go in the Army…."

We were convinced that WWIII was an inevitability and we'd end up fighting in it. To us, Red Dawn was not so much a movie as a training manual! :)

As a legacy our country is filled with nbc bunkers in every building and hill. Including the small one in this house thers also an entrance to a large complex just 150m from here. Since there is no war they use the places for storage or rent them for stuff like indoor sports.

Bunkers woulnt help much though because just like in the british documentary movie about living after nuclear holocaust (very depressing movie - cant remember the name) we would propably starve to death even if we survived the war. Our national food storages last only like 3 months or so and our own agriculture is limited nowadays.

Last edited:
I like them mentioning that the narrative style will follow Half-Life 2, with the player never losing control. For an FPS I think that is by far the best method.

i'm kind of in the same camp as Alrik on this on and the whole premise seems a little jingoist to me. also i'm not a huge fan of most shooters and not just because they lack a lot of choice and are so short. if some of the folks here though end up liking it and saying that its not just a short mindless shooter than i might give it a chance eventually. also i've never played a tom clancy game on principle because as Jaz said he is a mediocre writer at best and besides that the premise of the "kill the terrorist" games have no interest to me.

by the way steam has a good sale of 4 ubisoft games for 12.99 for the whole bundle. asssassins creed, call of juarez:bound in blood, far cry 2 and some tom clancy game. if i didn't already on the first 2 and loathe tom clancy i'd pick it up just to have them on my steam account. didn't like the first farcry so 12.99 for the 2nd is not worth it to me especially since there's no way i'd play it anytime soon.

homefront also reminds me of freedom fighters somewhat which while had decent and enjoyable gameplay was a horrible story that could have easily been written better by someone in grade school. i honestly prefered the kane any lynch series because at lease its obvious those are some f'd uped dudes pretty much beyond all redemption.

Back
Top Bottom