What ever happened to RPG games

You're kidding, right?

What games are objectively good?
Ones that run. Objectively bad ones are games that have game-breaking bugs. Ha! It's a simple yes/no question with easily quantifiable criteria. That's objective, mister. Ha!

Let's not mire the discussion in philosophical pontificating, eh?

Ones that run. Objectively bad ones are games that have game-breaking bugs. Ha! It's a simple yes/no question with easily quantifiable criteria. That's objective, mister. Ha!

Don't ruin my entertainment!

I was really looking forward to hearing JDR explain why the games he likes are objectively good and those he doesn't, aren't ;)

You're kidding, right?

What games are objectively good?

So System Shock isn't objectively better that Dungeon Lords?
You can't tell me that some games aren't developed better than others.

Do me a favor and spare us your usual semantics. It's a simple yes or no answer.

So System Shock isn't objectively better that Dungeon Lords?
You can't tell me that some games aren't developed better than others.

Do me a favor and spare us your usual semantics. It's a simple yes or no answer.

Of course it's not objectively better.

It's objectively different - and the rest is about personal tastes.

I can pretty much guarentee that there are people who think System Shock is a piece of shit and yet love Dungeon Lords.

Is it REALLY that hard to grasp that people have "weird" tastes, and that they're entitled?

I know you love simple answers, and I know people who love fluffy bunnies.

But we can't all have what we want in this world.

Oh I'm quite sure we're not. :)

You're referring solely to the gameplay, I'm talking about the product as a whole, as was dteowner. I tried to make that obvious in the way I stated it, but it's not a big deal.

Last edited:
You're referring solely to the gameplay, I'm talking about the product as a whole, as was dteowner. I tried to make that obvious in the way I stated it, but it's not a big deal.

Product as a whole? Explain.

I'm afraid JDR and Dart are going to get a divorce. They never get along :D

even that is subjective

some players will claim kotor2 to be a great game despite game breaking bugs and cut content (common obsidian trademark)

even that is subjective

some players will claim kotor2 to be a great game despite game breaking bugs and cut content (common obsidian trademark)

I totally agree if there's a part of clear objective values, for example I could list most modern RPG as lacking of puzzle and tricks out of fights that make you shake your brain.

Still overall it's a lot more complicated, even more for RPG that use a very complex approach of game design, and even more because there's ton of different kind of RPG. For example I'm playing Mass Effect 2 and wonder why I got from other players a so negative image of a dumbed down RPG more an interactive movie. For me it's just one of the best RPG I ever played. If it go on like that up to end, it will be a clear winner somewhere in my own top 5 RPG of all time. That's pure subjectivity. :)

Oh I'm quite sure we're not. :)

No, I'm actually talking about the game as in the entire experience. This including the packaging and purchase - and the value for money aspect.

Since every individual is unique, each response to the experience will be unique.

This is why there is no such thing as an objectively good game - because it would require a universally agreed upon set of quality factors - that could be quantified.

Even the most universally praised games will generate a negative response in numerous people - which includes non-gamers.

You might think System Shock is a fantastic game - just as I do. But we should recognise that it has to do with our own subjective approach to it, and the experience we've had with it. There are many people who don't share our opinion and they're not wrong.

At least, it's impossible - and I do mean absolutely impossible - to prove them wrong.

I know it can be alluring to live in a world where you can pretend to know something like a game is good, for a fact, but I can't delude myself like that.

I leave such fantasies to people like you and DTE ;)

Somehow, it fits with the whole "sports" thing :p

Metalica or Megadeath
Slayer or Behemoth
Personal taste...
But if you are into metal 90% would say they are all great bands
Ulitma games or BG
Great games...
Most would agree that have played them
And not trying to put down PS3 or Xbox but only a person that has only played RPG on those would think DA2 is a great game or maybe I am wrong.
But love reading whatever one has to say on the subject...

Well I think that it's not black and white. Some aspects of games can be objectively evaluated: i.e. it runs or doesn't run on Windows 7.

Others are subjective: some like boobies, others do not. ;)

Back
Top Bottom