Game with the most immersive vistas

An old favourite of mine, Tir Na Nog for ZX.
ZX? As in the ZX80? (Checks Wiki) Oh wow, I didn't know there was a follow-up to the old ZX80 computers! I certainly haven't ever heard of that game before.

Hey, JeremyM, that's one of my shots!! (Well, almost…)
jadeempireheavenha1.jpg

Let's see, what else have I got sitting on ImageShack…

newswordsvr9.jpg

argonshipyardinlegendshby6.jpg

fear2007060819462051resju9.jpg

cimeroraentrancedm9.jpg

darkdressfallsya8.jpg

I didn't play as many modern RPGs, but Drakensang had imho quite beautiful sceneries, too … Alone this walking through the "Elven Forest" with this music is … magical to me.

I agree with you. Drakensang games have impressive sceneries that gave me peace when I played them. Between latest games Two Worlds 2 has also beautiful views, I especially love the forests, woods and marches in the game. Also Fallout 3 depicts wasteland pretty well, when I went out of the vault first time it really impressed me, all these ruins, abandoned towns and such had demanded to be exploring.

I also want to mention Icewind Dale 1 - 2 and Planescape Torment. Playing these games were like looking at interactive work of art paintings. With all these years passed, I still think they're the best with their perfect mix of rendering with hand drawing touch.

Zloth, what games are the last two?
*edit* The last one is Oblivion, right?
Yep - specifically the expansion, Shivering Isles. That had some really cool art in it.

The other picture is from City of Heroes - the Cimerora zone. (What kind of superhero game would it be without some time travel? ;))

I have to say Divinity 2: DKS. Great graphics with great art direction!

fayrisonthecastle.jpg

Drakensang: River of Time

Where is that ? I'm curious, because I cannot remember such an out-look.

A, very, very nice, thank you ! :)

Here's one I made (I don't remember anymore whether I sent it in here for the PictureWatch or not) :

Attachments

• Drakensang_screenshot_1.jpg
    Drakensang_screenshot_1.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 38
Yep, same place as DeepO's pic - that's even the same pine tree on the right!

Alrik, is that from the original Drakensang?

It's Drakensang 2.

Of course I placed myself so that I'd get the best possible view ... This is actually from the "Prologue-Island". The place is ... - so to say - behind the three strange merchants ... ;)

One of the (few) games I find it so sad it's online-only …

Hmm, lots of games….

World of Warcraft - No contest. The sheer variety of all-encompassing atmospheres is off the charts. Almost every area was like stepping into a movie-set with major passion behind it. Areas like Duskwood, Azshara, and Ashenvale will forever be part of my gaming memories.

Age of Conan - Especially the Cimmerian areas. The music didn't hurt, either.

Oblivion is one of the most immersive games in that way, certainly. The implementation of forests in that game was breathtaking.

Gothic 3 all but equals it, though in a slightly more "gritty" way.

The Witcher 2 in the Swamp area is possibly the most beautiful area in any game, ever.

Crysis - The entire game, pretty much. The best moment is probably right at the beginning when you first approach the little collection of huts and buildings at dawn.

System Shock - The first time I entered the Hangar on level 5 - I was sold :)

You're right about WoW, especially The Barrens. Gorgious desert environment and ambient music.

And, since you mentioned Crysis, I think you'll agree that Far Cry did a fantastic job with the archipelago/island environment. That was real eye candy. I replay it every 6 months or so and love the water, fish, palm trees, jungle, etc.

Yep.. FarCry and Crysis both had some incredible looking outside environments.. some of the best I've seen in first-person shooters. Crysis 2 on the other hand was a disappointment in that aspect.

I think you'll agree that Far Cry did a fantastic job with the archipelago/island environment. That was real eye candy.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I first peeked out of the rusty sewers at the start of FarCry, just amazing!

JustCause 2 is a guilty pleasure of mine and that has beautiful graphics IMHO, best viewed strapped to the front of a fighter jet.

The original Gothic simply blew my mind, and due to nostalgia it's still my favourite. From a more objective point of view I'd say Gothic 3 though - some of the scenery, such as the water fall in the north western part of Myrtana, is stunning.

Of recent rpgs I would also add Risen. A lot of really unique and interesting locations. In particular the town and rebel camp. Despite the world being fairly small, the variety and attention to detail helped maintain the illusion of a whole world. On the mmorpg side I remember, guiding my dwarf up the hills to the entrance of Ironforge, being extremely impressed by the scale of things as I entered the dwarven fortress. Same goes for the passage through Blackrock mountain. For fps, Far Cry 1 for sure.

Last edited:
Gothic 3 landscapes blew me away, it was to bad they chose to deviate so much from the previous gothics mechanics.

I'd like to Mention Fallout 3, the Desolation could be seen for Miles and a custom mod allowing me to play old Black Sabbath tunes like War Pigs really set the Tone, Not to mention the old early 20th century tunes. The Game was ok, but the immersiveness was fantastic i thought.

I'd have to say that when it came to Immersiveness, Landscapes, atmosphere, characters/Prisoners, and all the things that make you feel as if you were actually in the game. Gothic I took me in like no other.

Asheron's Call 2 had awesome vistas. Was also very immersive like in the drudge area or walking through the chasm after you complete a vault(hearing the torches on surround sound as you walk by).

Call of the Cthulhu for xbox was great. Especially near the end when you walk across that great chasm and you fight those air sacs. Hardcore.

Or Alone in the Dark 1 when you enter that secret passage way in the basement and end up in some devilish wormhole.

Or reaching the Ops level in System Shock 2. The music along with those ninjas along with hacking terminals was just awesome.

Back
Top Bottom