Your favorite CRPG soundtracks

And while we are talking non-rpgs and the (very significant) impact of music in game atmosphere, a personal favorite (although the clip quality doesn't do it justice):

Stalker theme

The Amiga…so many good memories :)

A personal favourite of mine, the main title music from Rocket Ranger, the part that starts at 1:03 in the link below.
Rocket Ranger Intro

That era of gaming is probably my favorite: mid 80's to early 90's Amiga and Atari ST. Music in general for those platforms was top notch at least back then. I still favor that type of sound over the music that sounds like a live orchestra.

I have such fond memories of spending summer days at my friend Kent's house playing a myriad of titles (all legal, of course). The graphics were so much sharper than what I was used to on my C64 (which I loved dearly) and the music was always great. I can't remember the name of the magazine, maybe Atari Age, but it was brimming with ads for awesome Amiga/Atari ST games that I would never have on my C64. Time Bandit (by MichTron?) was great and one of my favorites from that era. PCs didn't start to hold a candle to that scene until the 90's and the DOS ports prior to then were awful.

Sorry, I digressed...

Last edited:
My favourite rpg when it come to music have to be Icewind Dale, Divinity 2 and Final Fantasy soundtracks. While Icewind Dale blew me away with Kuldahar and Easthaven theme, Divinity 2 had many great tracks.

My favourites game soundtrack though are from Heroes of Might and Magic easily... any of them has great scores.

Morrowind and Planescape: Torment.
Morrowind´s soundtrack is pretty much audio landscaping, as in, to me it´s part of the environments, not a soundtrack to them, or something like that.
Explore 2

Planescape´s just gives the narrative right emotional edge, without going overboard, being manipulative, etc.
For example, Fall-From-Grace theme makes exploring the brothel a meditative
experience :).

Basically, great tunes and fitting with what both games "are about".

From the more recent bunch, Divinity II.
Quite unusual (somewhat not-in-a-bad-way cheesy) instrumentation along with rock/metal sensibilities made it well fitting with the game´s larger-than-life nature and provided me with some unforgettable scenarios.
Sentinel Island has already been mentioned, so I´ll go with Lovis´ Tower.

As for the oldschool/nostalgia stuff, Turrican 2, no contest.
Made playing the game a joy.
Hülsbeck was on a total roll with this one. Traps.
I´m pretty sure there were some rpg elements somewhere in there :).

Ultima VII's soundtrack always got me.

Icewind Dale
Baldur's Gate II
Divine Divnity
Morrowind

Does Heroes Of Might & Magic III count? I loved that one.

Also, this isn't really a CRPG but it did come out on PC and it's sort of an RPG (action RPG) :) Blood Omen: Legacy Of Kain had such an amazingly atmospheric soundtrack. With some fantastic voice acting to boot!

As for the oldschool/nostalgia stuff, Turrican 2, no contest.
Definitely! Turrican and Morrowind contain the only game music I can hum. I mean, remember enough to hum. And I'm constantly playing video games. There is more music I liked and remember, but none of that was cRPG music.
Oh, I forgot the Final Fantasy victory jingle.

Music in a game tends to be an annoyance - I always turn it off if possible!

It's either obscuring things that I want to hear, or ridiculously heralding the beginning of a fight. Walking along to a gentle tune, minding my own business when all of a sudden the music suddenly lurches into a menacing tune - and from the shadows approaches a rat!

Nah, I'd rather not ='.'=

For me, Diablo 1's Tristram theme is the single-most haunting and memorable soundtrack tune of all time. It has stuck firmly in my mind all these years since 1996 when I first played the game, and I didn't even play the game for a long period. That song is simply a masterpiece of conjuring a foreboding atmosphere. The other pieces in D1 are great too, but Tristram really stands out. Matt Uelmen is a musical genius.

Also the Ultima VI music (on the AdLib soundcard, cheesy as it is), was very memorable for me:
Ultima VI Intro Sequence Music

I think it blew me away partly because prior to that I had only heard mostly blips and bloops out the PC speaker, with the occasional game offering 3-voice Tandy sound. The Tandy sound was pretty cool actually for the time, but not all games supported it.

The music for the Ultima series overall is brilliant - really memorable tunes.

I like a lot the stuff people mentioned such as Arcanum, Morrowind and Age of Conan.

I also really enjoyed some of Daggerfall's music:
Daggerfall - Over Snow
Daggerfall - Overcast

Last edited:
Music in a game tends to be an annoyance - I always turn it off if possible!

It's either obscuring things that I want to hear, or ridiculously heralding the beginning of a fight. Walking along to a gentle tune, minding my own business when all of a sudden the music suddenly lurches into a menacing tune - and from the shadows approaches a rat!

Nah, I'd rather not ='.'=
Whaaaaa ...?!? :[

But ... but ... but, that's like watching pr0n without women or having a thanks giving dinner without the turkey or Christmas morning without presents ... that's just not right man ;)

Music is the most atmosphere creating mechanism in existence ... at least in my opinion.

... or ridiculously heralding the beginning of a fight. Walking along to a gentle tune, minding my own business when all of a sudden the music suddenly lurches into a menacing tune - and from the shadows approaches a rat!
I generally enjoy in-game music, but I do agree with this point somewhat. Sometimes it completely destroys any element of surprise a monster would have. Oblivion suffered from this. Like, oh... here comes the battle music, something must be sneaking up on me.

Some games manage these transitions better than others.

Also the Ultima VI music (on the AdLib soundcard, cheesy as it is), was very memorable for me:
Ultima VI Intro Sequence Music

I think it blew me away partly because prior to that I had only heard mostly blips and bloops out the PC speaker, with the occasional game offering 3-voice Tandy sound. The Tandy sound was pretty cool actually for the time, but not all games supported it.

Oh, how could I forget that one? The first time I heard that song, late at night, it sent shivers down my spine. Awesome song.

Oh, how could I forget that one? The first time I heard that song, late at night, it sent shivers down my spine. Awesome song.

I didn't have a sound card when I played U6 the first time, so all I got was beeps! Years later when I went back to it and had a soundcard, I was duly impressed.

Most of the tunes I was anticipating posting have already been mentioned (Divine Divinity's main theme, Lovis' Tower and Sentinel Island from Divinity II, Easthaven in Peace from Icewind Dale, etc), but I was fortunate enough to recall one that hadn't been posted.

The Witcher - River of Life

Back
Top Bottom