The TV Series discussion thread

I did not see that coming last night on Game of Thrones. What a great series. There has never been anything better produced for the old boob tube :) For a fantasy fan this is my heaven. For all you haters out there keep watching your CSI dramas. I worked in law enforcement for 20 years and if you want to talk about fantasy there you have it.

I thought I was complaining that it didn't have enough fantasy in it, oh well.

Maybe you can tell me what the undead plot is and when it's supposed to become relevant?

Hmm.. I might have to give GoT another try. I have to admit I've only watched a couple of episodes, and it seemed more like a medieval soap opera than fantasy.

If you thought THAT was amazing, hang on to your hat! This is my favourite book of the series, and so far HBO is doing it just right. There is more awesomeness directly around the corner.....

Hmm.. I might have to give GoT another try. I have to admit I've only watched a couple of episodes, and it seemed more like a medieval soap opera than fantasy.

Ha! Except the the effects of petty soap-opera treachories and scandals are scaled up to disrupt whole "kingdoms" and countless lives. Although that aspect is rather glossed over in the show unlike the books. The show is much more slanted towards the small and petty vs the books.

I obtained the first season of GoT and just finished watching the first 3 episodes in 1 sitting.

I like what I've seen so far, but it's definitely light on the fantasy elements and heavy on tits and backstabbing.

Oh.. and who else thinks that Viserys Targaryen looks like a young skinny version of Geralt of Rivia? :)

I obtained the first season of GoT and just finished watching the first 3 episodes in 1 sitting.

I like what I've seen so far, but it's definitely light on the fantasy elements and heavy on tits and backstabbing.

Oh.. and who else thinks that Viserys Targaryen looks like a young skinny version of Geralt of Rivia? :)

As the story goes, magic died with the last dragon, and the undead forces have been gone so long (longest "Summer" in records) that nobody even believes they ever existed or that they can come any time soon, so that explains the 'lightness' of its fantasy. Well, that and that it's cheaper to show tits than a dragon :)

Not only it's cheaper but also the audience wants more of that, who needs dragons anyway? :D

Finished the first season already. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would, and I especially liked the way it ended.

I'll probably start watching Season 2 tomorrow.

Just started to watch Real Humans because of the recommendations, and that's finally a series with a topic I find interesting :). Liked the three episodes so far.

I've finished the first book, and am starting the first season. Loved the book. And I'm planning to go with it in this manner. One book, then one season. Man, there sure are a lot of disturbing stuff in the book. I wonder if they'll portray them in the series.

I would go the other way around. Watch the TV series, then read the books. It's inevitable that the book has a lot more details, so you'll always be like 'this is different than the book' or 'the book explained this better', etc.

I would go the other way around. Watch the TV series, then read the books. It's inevitable that the book has a lot more details, so you'll always be like 'this is different than the book' or 'the book explained this better', etc.

I've thought about that, but knowing myself, I think I will be a lot less motivated to go through the books after already knowing what to expect. And the books are 1000 pages on average. So it would be a whole lot harder to read the books while knowing the storyline, than it would be to sit through 10 hours of video after already knowing what to expect.

I've finished the first book, and am starting the first season. Loved the book. And I'm planning to go with it in this manner. One book, then one season. Man, there sure are a lot of disturbing stuff in the book. I wonder if they'll portray them in the series.

They do. But at least long detailed excruciating details are glossed over.

They do. But at least long detailed excruciating details are glossed over.

And indeed they do.
I was disturbed by the description of the overprotective-paranoid Lysa Arryn breastfeeding her 7 year old in the book, but man, the sight of it was way more disturbing.

And indeed they do.
I was disturbed by the description of the overprotective-paranoid Lysa Arryn breastfeeding her 7 year old in the book, but man, the sight of it was way more disturbing.

That wasn't half as disturbing as the Hodor full-frontal. :)

"Hodor!"

OK, so we just started with Downton Abbey, enjoyed the first episode. Any others watching this at this point (LTTP I know!)

OK, so we just started with Downton Abbey, enjoyed the first episode. Any others watching this at this point (LTTP I know!)

I watched 3-4 episodes at one point and it seemed fine, but nothing too interesting.

It was a bit too much like Gosford Park for my tastes, which was a great movie - but not something I could see stretched to infinity.

Maybe I was wrong, though.

Personally, I'm enjoying Bates Motel at the moment. It's not much more than entertaining, but that's quite a feat where I'm concerned :)

Back
Top Bottom