Recommend me an awesome RPG 2005-2012

Avadon 2 is a good game, if you like a retro-styled approach.

I can also safely recommend The Last Remnant, which is a fantastic game.

But seriously man, if you haven't played it yet, play Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines. It's really, really good.

I think temple of elemental evil was 2005. Keep on the borderlands is supposedly done now.

Divinity: Original Sin may be recent but it sure looks like it came from days of yore.

But, no, Vampire Bloodlines is another one of those first-persony type games with big people in close-up constantly cut-sceneing and me getting lost in a rat's maze of brown/grey buildings wondering what I'm supposed to look at and what I'm not supposed to look at while making myself sick from spinning the camera round and round and up and down.
Oh… ummm, not knowing what you should do is a problem? OK, forget D:OS. Still, you should play Bloodlines. If it makes you sick, well, buckets are cheap and most people need to lose weight anyway. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-18E8_kuaY

We're talking about Last Remnant in another topic. That's pretty fun stuff. Here's a battle I recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMJ58JeWytg

Drakensang: The River of Time was pretty good and plays somewhat like Neverwinter Knights (but for the Dark Eye system instead of Dungeons & Dragons).

Risen is good stuff, at least until near the ending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIQ862GcVZI

P.S. City of Heroes is gone, unfortunately, but they did invent the awesome button! (Ooo, shift-awesome!)

Wow, that was quite a lot to plough through! While it's great that people have all these great games to recommend (I've enjoyed reading) it seems that many people aren't quite up to speed on my parameters, making my responses thankfully short :)

Mount & Blade - It has the first-person camera (over the shoulder).
Skyrim - Is part of the Elder Scrolls series, already discussed previously.
Risen - It has the first-person camera (over the shoulder).
The Last Remnant - Designed primarily for consoles.

All of which are more aRPG than cRPG or more console games than PC games etc.

Summoner and Summoner II - 2000 and 2002
Temple of Elemental Evil - 2003

The dates are there for a reason, also I have already owned/played ToEE. You wouldn't have known that I'd already played it because I didn't list it, but I didn't list it because I didn't expect anyone to list games that fall outside the brackets the thread imposes :)

City of Heroes - It's an MMO...

Nothing on-line only please.

Knights of the Chalice - 1990 graphics in a new game.
Avadon 2 - 2013/14 and also 1990 graphics in a new game.

Possibly maybe. While possibly being great games, awesome even, I'm not sure to what extent they 'feel' like 2005-2012 games. Weird one this. I'd be more inclined to try Knights of the Chalice out of the two if I did fancy trying the uber-retro angle.

NWN II Expansions and Mods - Awesome suggestion.

Certainly all good recommendations to short-list :)

Drakensang: River of Time - Looks about right.

Of all the suggestions, this one definitely seems to tick every single one of my boxes, I can't find any reason whatsoever as to why I would dislike this game.

I think we have a winner :)

Unless someone has any other ideas?

If you buy ALL the games in this entire thread (minus skyrim) on a GOG or steam sale you will be out a total of 30€. So worth trying them. Once you finish Drakensang try a few more.

Do you get commission on the sale?

Edit, to clarify: Do you play games based solely on their price? If so, I recommend trying these, heck they're free, what can you lose?

Free games

Last edited:
Drakensang: River of Time - Looks about right.

Of all the suggestions, this one definitely seems to tick every single one of my boxes, I can't find any reason whatsoever as to why I would dislike this game.

it consists of a lot of combat but the combat isn't thrilling.

sorry ;)

Oooh, tell me more...

Have you played it? How does it fare in comparison to the titles listed in my OP (none of which are perfect)?

Yes, I've played it. NWN2, DA's and Div II have a lot more active abilities, making combat potentially more intriguing. I think what Drakensang really has going for it is the setting, if blissful flowery fantasy worlds are your thing. It has taken a lot of flak for [its portrayal of] the setting, but if it suits your mood at that time it can be great fun.

edit: also, there is no tanking (as in, not even collision detection. Enemies run right THROUGH your tanks).

If you like NWN2 combat, I think River of Time will please you too. They're fairly similar, if I can remember correctly. I need to re-buy Drakensang as I can't find where I purchased the game last time. I think I forgot to migrate it to one of my pcs in the past.

LOL, Hidden and I were posting at the same time, but I'm more verbose :)

I disagree.
While I hate every single bit of NWN, I adore every single bit of Drakensang.
Maybe because I didn't get Inn I can't visit later in the game?

I would go with Knights of the Chalice. If you love turn based combat there is no better game out there if you can get by the graphics. I am not the type of person that replays a game but I have replayed KotC 4 or 5 times. If you are a Dungeons and Dragons fan then you need to play this game.

I think I'm pretty much sold on Drakensang for now.

I did like the look of Knights of the Chalice, I did have an immediate 'I would like to play that' reaction, it's just not a game this particular thread was asking for due to it not having a '2005-2012' 'big' 'epic' feel to it by similarity to the games posted in the OP.

I'm glad I've been made more aware of it, but it doesn't really fit the thread request. But, yes, it's certainly a game to play at some point.

Personally, I found Drakensang painfully dull and lifeless - but to each his own.

I think I'm pretty much sold on Drakensang for now.

Drakensang: The River of time - is a good choice.
The Drakensang setting and story feels like playing a part of a fairy tale or an old legend. Take your time, enjoy the scenery and funny jolly dialog.

This game is not flashy, cool or awesome. It's nice, slow, old school and fabulous fairy-tale like. Drakensang - The Dark Eye is fun to play, too, if you like these kind of games. In fact I would try to get both games and add-on in a bundle.

Assuming my Laptop is able to cope with it, I feel pretty confident you'll be hearing all about my opinion on it one way or the other at some point :D

Personally, I found Drakensang painfully dull and lifeless - but to each his own.

The first 10-15 hours that I put into Drakensang The River of Time felt that way to me also, just ended up bored too quickly.
I'll have to give it another shot in the near future and see if it picks up a bit for me with a little more playing time.

River of Time is the second in the series so you might want to pick up the first and second game. I only played the second and didn't feel lost at all. It's an all-around average game, IMHO. The graphics aren't great but they aren't bad, either. The story is fine but not particularly memorable. The combat is fun but I've seen better. (Though there was a quest involving a cow that was pretty funny.)

I didn't enjoy the Phileasson's Secret DLC much. I've heard it's better if you actually know a thing or two about the Dark Eye game universe but I don't, so I had little idea who these people were or why I cared to save them.

Looks like you can get all three from Amazon for $15. That's less than what Steam wants for just River of Time.

P.S. Last Remnant was designed for the XBox and the UI still feels like it but they also rebalanced the game a LOT for the PC.

Back
Top Bottom