DA:I DA:I Cracked!!!

Dragon Age: Inquisition
A guy actually posts in this thread suggesting to cut off limbs for people who steal games, and I'm the scum of the Earth because I don't think pirating a game is a big deal? :roll:

Yes a guy did that but several other people posted thoughtful responses which you ignored.

Why not focus on them and not feed the troll.:)

Where did you see me comparing the theft of a digital game to a unique object?

I'm talking about the people who use that excuse to pretend they're not stealing at all.

You didn't say that, but when Fluent argued on the previous page that piracy is wrong but not so serious as theft, you called that a whole load of rationalizing. And when someone made a similar point just now, you said the same thing. Perhaps I got the wrong idea.

My only point is that treating piracy as less serious, or not the same thing as theft, is not the same as rationalizing it away.

You didn't say that, but when Fluent argued on the previous page that piracy is wrong but not so serious as theft, you called that a whole load of rationalizing. And when someone made a similar point just now, you said the same thing. Perhaps I got the wrong idea.

My only point is that treating piracy as less serious, or not the same thing as theft, is not the same as rationalizing it away.

Well it seemed to me like they were basically saying that pirating is "ok" because it's not as serious as some other crimes. My point is, if everyone felt that way, the gaming industry would probably cease to exist at some point.

Maybe if you tried a post which contained more than two sentences you'd be able to describe what you mean better so that people aren't confused by your motives in replying.

Maybe when you quote people you could quote the whole bit if the whole bit isn't actually that big and respond to the entirety of the post instead of the smidgeon you think you can make a snarky reply about…

I don't have any motives here, and there's no need to quote more than what I'm directly replying to.

Are you able to understand that?

My point is, if everyone felt that way, the gaming industry would probably cease to exist at some point.

Sorry to pile on, JDR! :), but this is absolutely wrong thinking. And it comes from a place of fear.

To think that an industry which has billions of fans worldwide is going to suddenly cease to exist is not logical thinking. Even if 75% of gamers pirated games, the industry would still exist.

Now, if you want to play semantics and say the "industry" will cease to exist, maybe it could happen. But something new would certainly rise in it's place. There is too much of a demand for it not to.

The only thing that would happen if everyone started downloading for free (and also coincides with what is starting to happen now), is that the gaming industry would naturally evolve. You'd see more free-to-play games from big companies and big developers. This is most likely the future of gaming.

The music industry is evolving, too. But what needs to stop is the senseless persecution of people who download things for free. It's like these industries are desperately trying to cling to an archaic way of operating. Free downloading is here and it's not going away, so these industries need to change with the times.

It may be a painful process, but it's going to happen, so these industries would be best served to just embrace it and start thinking of new ways to deal with these issues.

Maybe the future of intellectual "property" is that all of it is public property that can be had for free? Who knows? :)

Anyone from here ever downloaded something illegal? A song perhaps? By law is thief. To some extend watching a gig from your favourite band at youtube filmed by a fan is stealing.
If you want your work to be appriciated, appriciate other's work.

I think at the end of the day it just boils down to integrity.

Some people have it and some don't.

The problem with the arguments like "piracy is not so bad and publishers need to find new Internet avenues" is that what these new commercial avenues are supposed to be is always nebulous and in reality it doesn't work. For example streaming music sites which only give back absolutely pathetic royalties to the artists, so much that many have withdrawn their music.

If you make all this entertainment available conveniently for free and downplay such impacts, you're sabotaging yourself and you really can't have it both ways. You can't brush away the consequences of this. There's a reason why PC gaming is still in a sorry state and AAA console games are still a solid industry, because PC gamers refuse to pay $49 for a solid game. You can seldom build a decent business model off a userbase that knows how Bittorrent works and who now expects to pay $10 on a Steam sale for what you do.

It's simple really: good entertainment necessitates good money.

Last edited:
Oh good lord. :roll:

Right, it's just that simple. No need for discussion at all! :)

Since you ignored my last 2 responses to you I didn't think you cared to discuss it but yes its that simple.

I would think at the very least we know the developers of the game dont want you just taking it for free.

People with integrity would respect that.

Sorry to pile on, JDR! :), but this is absolutely wrong thinking. And it comes from a place of fear.

To think that an industry which has billions of fans worldwide is going to suddenly cease to exist is not logical thinking. Even if 75% of gamers pirated games, the industry would still exist.

Now, if you want to play semantics and say the "industry" will cease to exist, maybe it could happen. But something new would certainly rise in it's place. There is too much of a demand for it not to.

The only thing that would happen if everyone started downloading for free (and also coincides with what is starting to happen now), is that the gaming industry would naturally evolve. You'd see more free-to-play games from big companies and big developers. This is most likely the future of gaming.

The music industry is evolving, too. But what needs to stop is the senseless persecution of people who download things for free. It's like these industries are desperately trying to cling to an archaic way of operating. Free downloading is here and it's not going away, so these industries need to change with the times.

It may be a painful process, but it's going to happen, so these industries would be best served to just embrace it and start thinking of new ways to deal with these issues.

Maybe the future of intellectual "property" is that all of it is public property that can be had for free? Who knows? :)

You don't need to worry about piling it on. It's not as if the majority is agreeing with you. :)
I didn't say the industry would "suddenly" cease to exist as if it would happen overnight, and I'm talking about gaming as we know it now. Of course it would still exist, but would it be better?

Only someone who is extremely naïve would think it would be as good or better if everyone starting pirating. Free-to-play games? Is that what you would want to be stuck with? Self-funded indies? I don't think so.

Not to mention that pirating is the reason we have to put up with shitty DRMs in the first place.

Thankfully, not everyone is a cheap douche though.

I'm just going back to topic and will say: I hope modders also release some nice outfits, especially for the ball. I don't like how Inquisitor only gets to wear what appears to be male cloth.

edit: wait, does cracked mean you can also start modding or is it totally unrelated??

It's definetly unrelated. Or perhaps not? All mods work on legal version. Dunno if they work on cracked version (nor care, haha).

You don't need to worry about piling it on. It's not as if the majority is agreeing with you. :)

Well, I certainly didn't want to be mean or anything, but your post struck me as something I should respond to.

I didn't say the industry would "suddenly" cease to exist as if it would happen overnight, and I'm talking about gaming as we know it now. Of course it would still exist, but would it be better?

Sure it would be! Why not? Are you afraid of the future, of change? I think if the industry ceased as we know it, something better would naturally evolve and rise in it's place. I'm an optimist (most of the time, hehe :) )

Only someone who is extremely naïve would think it would be as good or better if everyone starting pirating. Free-to-play games? Is that what you would want to be stuck with? Self-funded indies? I don't think so.

Actually, I think free-to-play games across the board would be great! Imagine being able to play any game for free, and then buy additional content if you'd like it. That would truly give you the most options in how you consume your media, no? I'm all for more options. Free-to-plays with cash shops or whatever are a great starting point for the future of gaming.

Not to mention that pirating is the reason we have to put up with shitty DRMs in the first place.

Well, you can blame that on the gaming industry itself, not the "pirates". Piracy is here and it ain't going anywhere. The gaming industry is essentially trying to do their own form of 1920's prohibition. It ain't gonna work!

Thankfully, not everyone is a cheap douche though.

I don't know what this adds to the discussion. It would be best to leave comments like this out from future posts if you don't want to be considered a troll :)

Responses in bold. :)

What a great thread - it certainly hasn't failed to deliver and pretty much as predicted. Enough rationalization for a life time and then some.

Of course piracy isn't a major crime any more than basic shop-lifting isn't although the two are pretty much the same (shoplifting and piracy). I watched the video from Ripper and some good points but I don't think it equates 100% to games. Also the speaker in the video did say anything on a mass scale should be prosecuted. But games are often cracked and then opened up to the masses. It isn't just the occasional gamer doing it but something that provides the game to anyone lacking the integrity to pay for the game.

I totally disagree that it is okay to steal a game because it is just some 0 and 1's while it is not okay to steal a physical item of equivalent worth. A game is a product of work by a lot of people who in turn get their paycheck based (even if indirectly) on the sales of that product. The medium, in that particular case, is some what irrelevant. The product, however it is served up, provides income to people. So when it is stolen you are taking away their income. Big game companies, like EA, may get their income from many sources but a large part of that income (I have to assume) is from games. People who work for them get paid by the company … and that company has to use money they get from their products.

Do I think these game companies will go out of business from piracy? No I don't. But that doesn't make stealing right or acceptable. Companies will work around it - by trying to find better DRM (which is the fault of pirates - the company is simply reacting to protect their property in much the same way we take steps to protect ourselves from thieves). They might also increase the cost of the game, in the same way insurance companies increase cost, to help compensate for potential loss in revenue from thieves. Once again making the honest consumer carry the burden of the pirates.

Seems like the some of the attitude here is "Oh well crime exists and always will so instead of trying to do anything about it lets just ignore it or accept it and move on." That seems like a very responsible attitude :p

I also see another prevalent attitude - that if something doesn't bother someone personally then of course it isn't an issue. Since stealing games doesn't affect them personally then why should they care about it? Usually those people then sing a different tune when all of a sudden something does affect them directly. It tends to reflect a "me centric" mind-set. "Hey I love free to play games! So of course if all games became free to play it would be awesome! What do I care that other people may think differently? Lets just give in and let people steal games because it doesn't bother me in the least … so of course it is ok!"

Most free games tend to be very crappy (IMO of course, clearly some people enjoy them) and in the end are not actually free - they are loaded with micro-transactions that tend to prey on well known patterns of human behavior. But that may be what companies start to turn to to combat piracy - that and requiring all games to be played online. Neither of which are solutions I personally would be happy about and probably why I am anti-piracy. Well that and being raised to believe stealing is wrong.

The one thing I do agree on with the pro-thievery is that it is not going away and I doubt there will ever be anyway to stop it. Instead the gaming industry will continue to try different solutions and there will be a constant back and forth between the two parties - with gamers being caught in the middle; possible benefiting sometimes and other times paying the cost.

Nor is there really anything that can be done about it. Still I personally don't believe in condoning, or accepting, immoral behavior simply because it can't be stopped.

Actually, I think free-to-play games across the board would be great! Imagine being able to play any game for free, and then buy additional content if you'd like it. That would truly give you the most options in how you consume your media, no? I'm all for more options. Free-to-plays with cash shops or whatever are a great starting point for the future of gaming.

I'm not even sure how to respond to that statement. At first I was hoping you were just being sarcastic, but apparently you're not.

I don't think you have much experience with FTP games.

Well, you can blame that on the gaming industry itself, not the "pirates".

So you're saying the gaming industry decided to spend millions of dollars over the years developing DRMs because they just wanted to make things more difficult for gamers? You can't be that naïve.

It would be best to leave comments like this out from future posts if you don't want to be considered a troll.

Somehow I doubt I'm going to be branded a troll for referring to pirates as cheap douches. If that offends you though, I'm sure there are less "adult" discussions around here you could participate in. ;)

OMG gamecrack thread turned into Politics/Religion debate.
I'm outta here.

While I appreciate that you guys wrote responses about this subject, I really have no desire at this point to pick apart these posts and turn this into an epic-mega-thread-of-discussion-times-a million!!! Sorry :(

In all serious, I feel like I've stated my piece on the topic and I don't have much else to say. Arguing back and forth isn't going to get anywhere with you guys, that much is obvious. So, I'll let you all have the last word and we can go our separate ways :)

Au revoir, adieu, arrivederci :) So long.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think there's really that much of an argument here - we pretty much all agree (including Mr. Fry) that piracy is bad, and a problem, to some degree.

My point is just that it's not correctly described as theft, because no one is being deprived of an object that they already possess. I think the media industry's "you wouldn't steal a car" campaign is just absurd and overblown.

Piracy is essentially a violation of a contract, in which someone is not receiving their agreed due. That is not a good thing, and obviously bad news if everyone were to do it.

Back
Top Bottom